Davenport?

madlithuanian

I just read Najeh Davenport was just dumped by the Steelers.

I think he may be a decent fit. A vertan with a decidedly different running style than all our other guys. He could prove useful in the red zone without treading on some of our other backs' forte's... All pun intended...

Thoughts?

Why was he cut?

They drafted Mendenhall and have Mwelde Moore also in their backfield in addition to Parker. There wasn't going to be room for him if they'd held on to him. I'd presume there was a roster bonus coming up soon that they cut him to avoid paying.

He did run for nearly 500 yards last year.

Right now, there appears to be a glut of FA running backs out there with very few teams actually showing interest (Jones, Benson, Davenport, Alexander, Henry). It's starting to approach that point where it's silly not to sign one for this team. Davenport might actually be the best option for this group if the Bears aren't thrilled about Jones.

I just read Najeh Davenport was just dumped by the Steelers.

I think he may be a decent fit. A vertan with a decidedly different running style than all our other guys. He could prove useful in the red zone without treading on some of our other backs' forte's... All pun intended...

Thoughts?

I would go for a K Jones or S Alexander before Davenport. The question is somewhat academic in that it appears, according to reports, the Bears are standing pat.

I think both Jones and Alexander would virtually require some thought of being starters...but Davenport allows us to have him just as a change of pace back. (ie. a big body in the goal area,etc...) And play back-up...

That's why I think the fit is good. It's basically harmless to our other RB's... Davenport's too different from them.

I would go for a K Jones or S Alexander before Davenport. The question is somewhat academic in that it appears, according to reports, the Bears are standing pat.