Bears interested in LeMont Jordan

GakMan23

I have no problem w/ the idea. Lamont Jordan can actually be a solid backup, but I wonder at the wording. "potential suitor" may not have anything to do w/ actual interest. It may be nothing more than a writer thinking of any team that might have a need for a backup QB.

Bears | Team interested in L. Jordan?

Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:16:59 -0700

Bill Williamson, of ESPN.com, reports the Chicago Bears are a potential suitor for the services of Oakland Raiders RB LaMont Jordan via trade.

That looks like a KFFL ticker message. You can read the whole story HERE, and it's just Williamson speculating that Chicago might be interested. I don't see any chance that the Bears are going to trade for Jordan and pick up his current contract of $4.7M salary in '08 and $5M in '09.

If they want him, they'll wait until he's released, but they aren't going offer him anything much above Vet minimum. JMO

Why trade anybody or anything for him? The Raiders are going to be forced to release him before training camp, since teams can only have 80 players and Big Al now has a log jam at the RB position. Plus, that still sticks the Bears with his $4.7M salary this year. I've read the Bears are now under $4M in free cap space, so that would break the piggy bank.

Normally, I would say you trade for the player for two reasons. One, if the player hits the market, there is no guarantee you will get him. Two. SB. If you trade for him, you do not have to give him a SB, and the SB he already received does not count against the new team.

But while both are positives, $4.7m in base for this year is still pretty dang high, especially for a player not expected to start. I agree Oakland is going to cut him, and agree further that if we want him, we are better of waiting. There will likely be some interest, but I doubt so much so that he will warrant more than a meager contract.

name='DrunkBomber' date='Jul 8 2008, 04:23 PM' post='41429']

Is Jordans salary comporable to RMJs? If so it could work. That helps both teams.

Why trade when you can get him for half the price via free agency? Add to that, if we trade RMJ, we lose his salary and get a draft pick or player with a better value dollar wise. FA backs are not drawing interest right now and their value will be low unless backs start going down to injury. With the amount of backs that we have already speculated, I don't see paying that much for someone who was unseated by Justin Fargas. Also, RMJ may draw more than he's worth in trade as some teams out there are really weak at CB and we seem flush with them.

Who is LeMont Jordan?

Just kidding. I would love to see the Bears have someone like Jordan behind Forte, but I really do not see this happening unless the Bears are planning on parting ways with AP, b/c I do not think the Bears will keep 4 RB's and GW still has potential to be a game changing back. Wolfe was brought in b/c we struggled on 3rd and longs and the Bears see him as a guy who can pick up those yards on a screen or dump off pass. He showed some glimpses of that possibility late in the year. Jordan would be a nice #2 change of pace, grind it out, goal line back, but theres no way we take on his 4.7 million. if Oak can convince him to a sign and trade, maybe a 2 year deal that will fit the Bears cap, then maybe it will happen and I'll be more than happy to give them RMJ. RMJ will be happy to be closer to home and his favorite restaurant "Denny's"

I'd like the move. We aren't sure if AP is going to be 100% healthy, and even if he is, it wouldn't hurt for 1-2 years to put him on ST only.

Moving Wolfe to the practice squad and keeping AP along with Forte and Jordan would be very stupid. All 3 runners are equal in terms of that they are all power backs in a way. Wolfe gives us that change of pace, screen type of guy.