Mid-range Passing Attack

bradjock

The way we're using our TE's, it sounds as though we might actually be able to establish somewhat of a "mid-Range" passing attack. This is something that we've not been able to do on a consistent basis since Ron Turner's returned as OC. Seemingly (especially with Rex) it's mostly "all or nothing." If we didn't connect on big plays down field, our running game stalled, & we were basically screwed.

How many times in the past 3 years have you heard "2nd & 2" (We've heard 2nd & 12 far more often.)

I don't completely blame Turner for this. Moose sucked & Berrian is not an over the middle receiver. Now we finally have the personnel. (Olsen, Clark, Booker, McKie, K. Jones & Forte) It's exciting to think we might be able to establish a passing game between 5 & 12 yards and something more then just a "dump-off" pass.

I also think this is why Orton ultimately wins the starting job. Everyone who's seen him says he looks great on the short routes.

The way we're using our TE's, it sounds as though we might actually be able to establish somewhat of a "mid-Range" passing attack. This is something that we've not been able to do on a consistent basis since Ron Turner's returned as OC. Seemingly (especially with Rex) it's mostly "all or nothing." If we didn't connect on big plays down field, our running game stalled, & we were basically screwed.

How many times in the past 3 years have you heard "2nd & 2" (We've heard 2nd & 12 far more often.)

I don't completely blame Turner for this. Moose sucked & Berrian is not an over the middle receiver. Now we finally have the personnel. (Olsen, Clark, Booker, McKie, K. Jones & Forte) It's exciting to think we might be able to establish a passing game between 5 & 12 yards and something more then just a "dump-off" pass.

I also think this is why Orton ultimately wins the starting job. Everyone who's seen him says he looks great on the short routes.

If its the short range passing attack, Orton has the edge, IMdO. Rex can clearly get the deep ball, but his pocket problems mean we would need time for that to develop. And the Oline doesn't inspire much confidence at this point.

Right. We definitley have the WRs and TEs to have a fairly good "mid-range" attack, and Orton would be the better QB to do that. The way he played last year in the Green Bay game when it like -25 wind chill showed me alot. Clark and Olsen are good for 5-10 yard gains and Bennett might have a very good year if we play like that since he has such good hands. Hester and Lloyd might suffer a bit statistically but they'll be able to catch a couple deep-balls a game especially after short throws to guys like Olsen, Clark, Bennett, and Wolfe.

BTW- if we're going to try to use the mid-range passing game, Hass might be a good guy to have on the team.

Right. We definitley have the WRs and TEs to have a fairly good "mid-range" attack, and Orton would be the better QB to do that. The way he played last year in the Green Bay game when it like -25 wind chill showed me alot. Clark and Olsen are good for 5-10 yard gains and Bennett might have a very good year if we play like that since he has such good hands. Hester and Lloyd might suffer a bit statistically but they'll be able to catch a couple deep-balls a game especially after short throws to guys like Olsen, Clark, Bennett, and Wolfe.

BTW- if we're going to try to use the mid-range passing game, Hass might be a good guy to have on the team.

I hear ya, but I think Hass is going to suffer from the numbers game. He will be gone. Sad that we didn't get a chance to see what he could do.

A word of warning...

I think during training camp the last several years I've noticed a focus on dump offs to TE's and FB's. Then the preseason started and I think Turner either forgot the plays or Rex refused to throw the routes. Not sure.

I agree with those that suggest Kyle has the edge if that's the type of offense we want to run. I just don't know if this is real or not. You'd think with our great TE's and inexperienced WR's it would make sense, particularly early in the season. If our O Line takes a little time to gel, we'll want that ball out of there quickly.

A word of warning...

I think during training camp the last several years I've noticed a focus on dump offs to TE's and FB's. Then the preseason started and I think Turner either forgot the plays or Rex refused to throw the routes. Not sure.

I agree with those that suggest Kyle has the edge if that's the type of offense we want to run. I just don't know if this is real or not. You'd think with our great TE's and inexperienced WR's it would make sense, particularly early in the season. If our O Line takes a little time to gel, we'll want that ball out of there quickly.

Good warning Cracker. But I think it's real. To me the big difference came when we let go of our big blocking TE John Gilmore. Defenses would look at him lined up on the left said and say, "Gee . . . you think they're going to try to run it his way???" So we replaced him with Davis, a guy in the same mold as Olsen & Clark. Last year Olsen was a rookie. Since then we resigned Clark & added a bunch of double TE sets. It's going to be tough to ignore them this year.

What's best is now that Moose is gone we're planning to start a double deep threat in Lloyd & Hester. So teams have to legitimately worry about us going for the bomb on both sides.

That should open up things nicely.

Good warning Cracker. But I think it's real. To me the big difference came when we let go of our big blocking TE John Gilmore. Defenses would look at him lined up on the left said and say, "Gee . . . you think they're going to try to run it his way???" So we replaced him with Davis, a guy in the same mold as Olsen & Clark. Last year Olsen was a rookie. Since then we resigned Clark & added a bunch of double TE sets. It's going to be tough to ignore them this year.

What's best is now that Moose is gone we're planning to start a double deep threat in Lloyd & Hester. So teams have to legitimately worry about us going for the bomb on both sides.

Excellent points. If Hester can run true routes, we've got something here. Assuming the line comes together. Don't underestimate Turner's ability to spin gold into piles of shit, however.

Nothing will open up until we find something we can hang our hat on. This offense does not have any bread and butter formation/play that it can rely on. I'm not suggesting we need to be predictable just that there needs to be some aspect of the offense that we can execute consistently well, well enough that a D needs to respect it. Any single aspect (i.e. runs up the middle) can help others that are weaker. At this point I can't say we have anything we do well.

Hey bradjock, could you say that again, you just hit the nail on the head. Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this: This year's offense will be like the offense of two years ago when we went to the superbowl. Why??? some may ask. That exact reason. Defenses lined up and saw benson back there and gilmore lined up and we were extremely predictable. Now we dump benson and draft forte to go along with wolfe and sign KJ, all of whom are more in the mold of TJ as being a complete back. They can do either run, or pass protect or catch out of the backfield on a screen. We replace Gilmore with Davis and now we have 3 te's that all are great route runners and decent blockers, although not as good as gilmore necessarily, but maybe more effective when you factor in the keep em guessing tactic. Our offense went from being very predictable to hopefully, from a personel view point very hard to judge. No longer will we see c-bass come in and waive the red flag that we're going to try to pound it up the middle. Now with a single back and a 2 te formation the defense has to be prepared for a run either way, and still play the pass. Some may think we're looking pretty bleak offensively, I believe otherwise. I think we're looking more like a more complete offense. Now it's up to whoever plays the qb to take advantage of the mismatches our te's present and take care of the ball!!!

If we plan on using Lloyd and Hester and the main reasons for the utilization of those guys is the deep threat, than shouldn't we have Grossman as the QB and not a QB who can't throw the ball downfield (ie, Orton). That said, I definitely agree with your train of thought and it makes me want to put on my Bears goggles hoping that Hester can make an immediate impact at wide-out and that Lloyd was just one of the many guys that dissapeared in Washington only to reappear after leaving.

If we plan on using Lloyd and Hester and the main reasons for the utilization of those guys is the deep threat, than shouldn't we have Grossman as the QB and not a QB who can't throw the ball downfield (ie, Orton). That said, I definitely agree with your train of thought and it makes me want to put on my Bears goggles hoping that Hester can make an immediate impact at wide-out and that Lloyd was just one of the many guys that dissapeared in Washington only to reappear after leaving.

Not necessarily. When the Bears offense runs the 2 TE sets, the Bear's defense responds by going into their nickel package. Teams are scared to death that Hester will beat them long. So if Hester & Lloyd are sprinting deep, you're probably looking at 2 cornerbacks and at least one safety or nickel-back going with them.

By stretching the field that much you're really opening things up, especially when Forte, Kevin Jones, and Adrian Peterson are all excellent receivers.

Granted, Orton is going to have to be able to chuck it long once in a while for that to work. But I'd much rather see that then have teams continue stacking 8 men in the box and Bringing the Pain on Rex.