2005 Draft Grade

Ed Hochuli 3:16

2005 NFL Draft Grades: NFC North

By: Greg Davis

Chicago Bears: D

In three seasons, first round pick Cedric Benson rushed for just under 1,600 yards and ten touchdowns. Benson can be considered a bust now that he has been released this offseason mainly because of legal problems and ineffectiveness. Receiver Mark Bradley was taken in the second; he has just 38 career receptions and has failed to help the team much. Fourth-rounder Kyle Orton is the likely backup to Rex Grossman for Chicago to open the season, and the fact that he has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns to this point doesn’t bode well for him becoming an effective passer.

Airese Currie a fifth round receiver, is out of the NFL. The most successful of the Bears’ selections in 2005 is no longer with the team; Chris Harris, a sixth round cornerback pick, has become a solid starter with Carolina. Seventh-rounder Rodriques Wilson is a reserve linebacker who sees time on special teams.

from FF.com

Thoughts??

I think the only thing holding this back from being an F is that Orton is competing for a starting job. If he isn't the starter, or fails, then it is w/o question an F. But what is the grade, just for sake of argument, if Orton wins the starting job this year and plays well. How much does finding a solid QB, on the 2nd day, off-set an otherwise awful draft?

I think the only thing holding this back from being an F is that Orton is competing for a starting job. If he isn't the starter, or fails, then it is w/o question an F. But what is the grade, just for sake of argument, if Orton wins the starting job this year and plays well. How much does finding a solid QB, on the 2nd day, off-set an otherwise awful draft?

I think it would at best push the team to a "C" grade. If he turned in to Carson Palmer or Drew Brees, a "B", Peyton or Brady an "A".

But basically, if your #1 pick, the guy you dump a crap load of cap space on from the top 5 busts horrifically, you better find the next Tom Brady if you don't want to get a failing draft grade.

I think it would at best push the team to a "C" grade. If he turned in to Carson Palmer or Drew Brees, a "B", Peyton or Brady an "A".

Bascially agree. If Orton were to become a decent/pretty good QB, that alone could turn the grade to a C. Normally, you need much more success, but as we are a Chicago Bears, finding one servicable QB would be enough to boost the grade that much.

For me, if Orton became Palmer/Brees, our grade would be an A. Let me ask you this. What if we went into the draft, and the Devil offered you this deal. The rest of your draft would be a total flop, but you would also find a pro bowl QB on day two. Will you take it? I think most bear fans would take that deal in a second.

Bascially agree. If Orton were to become a decent/pretty good QB, that alone could turn the grade to a C. Normally, you need much more success, but as we are a Chicago Bears, finding one servicable QB would be enough to boost the grade that much.

For me, if Orton became Palmer/Brees, our grade would be an A. Let me ask you this. What if we went into the draft, and the Devil offered you this deal. The rest of your draft would be a total flop, but you would also find a pro bowl QB on day two. Will you take it? I think most bear fans would take that deal in a second.

In a heartbeat.

Peace :dabears

Trick question! You never make a deal with the devil!

Because they guy would come up injured or lose every single playoff game ever...