Why did we let go of Gage again??

butkusrules

Anyone else tired of tennesee picking up our draft choices and showing us how much better their coaching staff is.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...69?OpenDocument

Gage is 'the guy' at receiver for Titans

Dec. 2, 2007--Tennessee Titans wide receiver Justin Gage, top, has a pass intended for him broken up by Houston Texans safety C. C. Brown (24) and Von Hutchins (34).

(John Russell/AP)By Bill Coats

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

08/07/2008

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Nearly a decade has passed since Justin Gage threw his first touchdown pass for the University of Missouri. On the receiving end of the 1-yard toss was sophomore tight end Dwayne Blakley, whose locker is just three stalls from Gage's at the Tennessee Titans' practice facility.

On Wednesday, as Gage recalled that hook-up with Blakley in 1999, he acknowledged that it all seems to have happened a long, long time ago.

"It really does," Gage said. "Being a freshman at Mizzou and throwing a touchdown pass to Blakley, that was a milestone in my life. And now being in the NFL and having him as a teammate, it brings up those old memories and lets us know how far we've come."

Gage, 27, traveled at warp speed over just one season — 2007, his first with the Titans after four less-than-satisfying years with the Chicago Bears after they'd drafted him in the fifth round in 2003.

The 6-foot-4, 212-pound Gage, a superb athlete who also played basketball at MU, totaled 64 catches and 908 yards with Chicago, mostly in a reserve role. Last season, Gage emerged as one of Tennessee quarterback Vince Young's favorite marks, hauling in 55 passes for a team-high 750 yards.

"Justin ended up being the guy," Titans coach Jeff Fisher said. "When you're running routes for a young quarterback, sometimes the ball's going to be a little off-target. He can adjust and make the catch. He did that all year."

COUP FOR MIZZOU

When former coach Larry Smith landed Gage, it was considered a major coup for a sagging MU program. Gage was an all-state defensive back for Jefferson City High; he played just one season at quarterback, as a senior. He threw for 1,148 yards and 21 touchdowns, and rushed for 702 yards and 12 scores.

Gage was to play safety at Missouri, but when one quarterback transferred, another chose baseball over football, and a third failed to qualify academically, suddenly Gage was a quarterback again. In late-season action, he completed 14 of 41 passes and two touchdowns as a rookie.

The next year, Mizzou had replenished its stable of quarterbacks and Gage was moved again, this time to wide receiver. He blossomed quickly.

During three seasons at wideout, Gage gobbled up all the major receiving records at Missouri. A three-time All-Big 12 Conference selection, he wound up with 200 receptions for 2,704 yards and 18 touchdowns.

Still, with such limited time at the position, Gage was getting by largely on his athletic ability. The Bears knew it would take time for him to develop, and he had sporadic success.

When the Bears beefed up their corps of receivers in 2006, en route to the Super Bowl, Gage was shunted aside. He caught just four passes, and when his original four-year contract expired at season's end, he became a free agent.

The Bears "went in a different direction," Gage said. "Whether they gave up on me or not ... it didn't matter. It was a chance for me to go somewhere and have a new start, and that's just what I needed."

STARTING OVER

The Titans offered Gage a one-year deal, and he jumped at it. He totaled just three catches in his first three games, but then he and Young found a rhythm.

"He just came out of nowhere," Young said. "I love his size, and how aggressive he is to the ball. He's just a playmaker."

Gage's numbers climbed steadily, and in the season finale, Gage grabbed seven balls for a career-high 104 yards vs. Indianapolis.

"Just getting the opportunity to go out there and make plays, that was all I was asking for," he said. "I figured when I got the chance, I could do something. ... I feel like I learned a lot in my four years in Chicago, and then I got to translate that here on the field for the Titans."

Gage's specialty was securing first downs: 45 of his catches (81.8 percent) moved the chains, the third-highest mark in the league.

In the offseason, Tennessee rewarded him with a new, multiyear contract.

"Justin made the most of an opportunity, and we expect him to be a significant contributor to our offensive success," Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt said at the time. "He should continue to grow as a receiver as he and Vince play together more."

Said Blakley: "Just knowing the type of guy he is, I knew his true ability would show. And it has. ... It's always good to see somebody from Mizzou do his thing."

Gage was an avid follower as Missouri did its thing last year, going 12-2. He never played on a winning team at MU, so he's reveling in its success. Especially in Nashville, deep in Southeastern Conference country.

"The SEC always thinks they're better than any other conference, but the Big 12 took it to them last year," he said. "I'm looking forward to what Mizzou will do this year."

Just as the Titans are anticipating what Gage's second season in Tennessee might bring.

"I've proven that I can play at this level," he said. "Now, it's just about going out and ... building on that, using that season as a steppingstone and get better each year. That's my ultimate goal."

It's nice to have a good coaching staff... I've always thought highly of Jeff Fisher. He was a Bear after all...

Anyone else tired of tennesee picking up our draft choices and showing us how much better their coaching staff is.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...69?OpenDocument

Gage is 'the guy' at receiver for Titans

Dec. 2, 2007--Tennessee Titans wide receiver Justin Gage, top, has a pass intended for him broken up by Houston Texans safety C. C. Brown (24) and Von Hutchins (34).

(John Russell/AP)By Bill Coats

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

08/07/2008

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Nearly a decade has passed since Justin Gage threw his first touchdown pass for the University of Missouri. On the receiving end of the 1-yard toss was sophomore tight end Dwayne Blakley, whose locker is just three stalls from Gage's at the Tennessee Titans' practice facility.

On Wednesday, as Gage recalled that hook-up with Blakley in 1999, he acknowledged that it all seems to have happened a long, long time ago.

"It really does," Gage said. "Being a freshman at Mizzou and throwing a touchdown pass to Blakley, that was a milestone in my life. And now being in the NFL and having him as a teammate, it brings up those old memories and lets us know how far we've come."

Gage, 27, traveled at warp speed over just one season — 2007, his first with the Titans after four less-than-satisfying years with the Chicago Bears after they'd drafted him in the fifth round in 2003.

The 6-foot-4, 212-pound Gage, a superb athlete who also played basketball at MU, totaled 64 catches and 908 yards with Chicago, mostly in a reserve role. Last season, Gage emerged as one of Tennessee quarterback Vince Young's favorite marks, hauling in 55 passes for a team-high 750 yards.

"Justin ended up being the guy," Titans coach Jeff Fisher said. "When you're running routes for a young quarterback, sometimes the ball's going to be a little off-target. He can adjust and make the catch. He did that all year."

COUP FOR MIZZOU

When former coach Larry Smith landed Gage, it was considered a major coup for a sagging MU program. Gage was an all-state defensive back for Jefferson City High; he played just one season at quarterback, as a senior. He threw for 1,148 yards and 21 touchdowns, and rushed for 702 yards and 12 scores.

Gage was to play safety at Missouri, but when one quarterback transferred, another chose baseball over football, and a third failed to qualify academically, suddenly Gage was a quarterback again. In late-season action, he completed 14 of 41 passes and two touchdowns as a rookie.

The next year, Mizzou had replenished its stable of quarterbacks and Gage was moved again, this time to wide receiver. He blossomed quickly.

During three seasons at wideout, Gage gobbled up all the major receiving records at Missouri. A three-time All-Big 12 Conference selection, he wound up with 200 receptions for 2,704 yards and 18 touchdowns.

Still, with such limited time at the position, Gage was getting by largely on his athletic ability. The Bears knew it would take time for him to develop, and he had sporadic success.

When the Bears beefed up their corps of receivers in 2006, en route to the Super Bowl, Gage was shunted aside. He caught just four passes, and when his original four-year contract expired at season's end, he became a free agent.

The Bears "went in a different direction," Gage said. "Whether they gave up on me or not ... it didn't matter. It was a chance for me to go somewhere and have a new start, and that's just what I needed."

STARTING OVER

The Titans offered Gage a one-year deal, and he jumped at it. He totaled just three catches in his first three games, but then he and Young found a rhythm.

"He just came out of nowhere," Young said. "I love his size, and how aggressive he is to the ball. He's just a playmaker."

Gage's numbers climbed steadily, and in the season finale, Gage grabbed seven balls for a career-high 104 yards vs. Indianapolis.

"Just getting the opportunity to go out there and make plays, that was all I was asking for," he said. "I figured when I got the chance, I could do something. ... I feel like I learned a lot in my four years in Chicago, and then I got to translate that here on the field for the Titans."

Gage's specialty was securing first downs: 45 of his catches (81.8 percent) moved the chains, the third-highest mark in the league.

In the offseason, Tennessee rewarded him with a new, multiyear contract.

"Justin made the most of an opportunity, and we expect him to be a significant contributor to our offensive success," Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt said at the time. "He should continue to grow as a receiver as he and Vince play together more."

Said Blakley: "Just knowing the type of guy he is, I knew his true ability would show. And it has. ... It's always good to see somebody from Mizzou do his thing."

Gage was an avid follower as Missouri did its thing last year, going 12-2. He never played on a winning team at MU, so he's reveling in its success. Especially in Nashville, deep in Southeastern Conference country.

"The SEC always thinks they're better than any other conference, but the Big 12 took it to them last year," he said. "I'm looking forward to what Mizzou will do this year."

Just as the Titans are anticipating what Gage's second season in Tennessee might bring.

"I've proven that I can play at this level," he said. "Now, it's just about going out and ... building on that, using that season as a steppingstone and get better each year. That's my ultimate goal."

He isn't fast enough. This staff doesn't want big WRs unless they have speed. Moose was the exception due to the massive numbers he put up the season before we signed him. This staff wants all home run threats. Gage is not that.

I disagree w/ the staff, and thus why I really like WRs like Booker, Hass, and the like. But if given the choice between Bradley and Engram, I swear this staff today would still take Bradley.

He isn't fast enough. This staff doesn't want big WRs unless they have speed. Moose was the exception due to the massive numbers he put up the season before we signed him. This staff wants all home run threats. Gage is not that.

I disagree w/ the staff, and thus why I really like WRs like Booker, Hass, and the like. But if given the choice between Bradley and Engram, I swear this staff today would still take Bradley.

I know right. Players like Engram, Wage, and Gage have become fairly productive elsewhere.

There is an article on the Trib, maybe from yesterday, talking about Hass and how good he has looked. It talks about how he has been catching everything thrown, even when not on target. The writer talks about how much he likes Hass, and how he has won over most all, except the staff who seems to simply focus on his lack of speed.

I understand the desire for speed, but I have always been of the believe that if you have a "chain mover", you give WRs w/ speed more opportunities due to more downs.

There is an article on the Trib, maybe from yesterday, talking about Hass and how good he has looked. It talks about how he has been catching everything thrown, even when not on target. The writer talks about how much he likes Hass, and how he has won over most all, except the staff who seems to simply focus on his lack of speed.

I understand the desire for speed, but I have always been of the believe that if you have a "chain mover", you give WRs w/ speed more opportunities due to more downs.

That's why Chris Carter was always my favorite WR to watch play. Those sideline catches for a first down were a thing of beauty. Speed is overrated in comparison to hands and smarts like dragging your feet.

Maybe a change on scenery is what he needed but he was absolutely terrible here.

Issue I have is, look at those years. Look at the QBs and offenses he played in. Okay, maybe he simply sucked for us. At the same time, could it not also be possible we (a) didn't have surrounding talent (like an NFL QB) and (B) a staff very good at developing talent?