Coaching complaint of the game....

madlithuanian

Why, when Hanie was leading the Bears down for what would be an eventual FG by Robbie "Good as" Gould, did the mega brain trust of "Stomach" Turner & Co. decide to run up the middle when Hanie was hitting the mark for that drive and looked poised to score? Heck, he might have even had run for a first!

Granted it's pre-season, but these guys do not have much legs to stand on. Their history shows a complete disregard for logic. I swear a 10 year old with Madden skills could have called a better play.

I fear this will be long season...just with coaching alone.

Why, when Hanie was leading the Bears down for what would be an eventual FG by Robbie "Good as" Gould, did the mega brain trust of "Stomach" Turner & Co. decide to run up the middle when Hanie was hitting the mark for that drive and looked poised to score? Heck, he might have even had run for a first!

Granted it's pre-season, but these guys do not have much legs to stand on. Their history shows a complete disregard for logic. I swear a 10 year old with Madden skills could have called a better play.

I fear this will be long season...just with coaching alone.

I've said it for years, and I'll say it again. Just because someone is in the NFL doesn't mean they know what they are doing. They may know the lingo and have the connections, but that's not necessarily an indication of actual football knowledge. Some of the smartest football people I've ever talked to in my life have been on the sidelines of high school football games. Guys that have seen more football, and understand it at a basic level, than most coaches today. And I still contend that if given a year to learn the lingo and what-not, that I'd do better (as would many on this board) than the Bears' OC has for the last decade or so (give or take odd spurts of success).

I'm sold! I wish you were our OC!

I've said it for years, and I'll say it again. Just because someone is in the NFL doesn't mean they know what they are doing. They may know the lingo and have the connections, but that's not necessarily an indication of actual football knowledge. Some of the smartest football people I've ever talked to in my life have been on the sidelines of high school football games. Guys that have seen more football, and understand it at a basic level, than most coaches today. And I still contend that if given a year to learn the lingo and what-not, that I'd do better (as would many on this board) than the Bears' OC has for the last decade or so (give or take odd spurts of success).

It's a preseason game, maybe the coaches wanted to see how the personnel in the game at that time executed that play? Not all plays are called in the preseason based on what should be done to win the game. Right now it's about figuring out who should be on the team. If Turner and Lovie wanted to win the game they could have kept the first string out there.

I fully realize that. And if this were the Pat's, I wouldn't be worried in the least. But this is the same brain trust that insisted on running Wolfe up the middle on our own goal line... I think there's just reason to be concerned.

You play every game to win. You know your hands are tied in the pre-season. You will change players out, and will run a few plays to test. However, at certain places and times, you need to just call the correct plays. This is as much a pre-season for the coaching staff, and they deserve an F for that one.

It's a preseason game, maybe the coaches wanted to see how the personnel in the game at that time executed that play? Not all plays are called in the preseason based on what should be done to win the game. Right now it's about figuring out who should be on the team. If Turner and Lovie wanted to win the game they could have kept the first string out there.

Sorry, but it is ridiculous to think that if we simply knew the terminology that we would be better at this than the pros.

It always looks like that from the outside. Those without technique assume that the technique is the hardest part. Those that actually acquire the technique are in a place to understand the deeper art to it. Everyhting looks easy from the outside.

So, yeah - I understand a fan's ego - but that's all it is.

I do beg to differ...

You have all these assistants,etc...they know the trenches etc. If I'm sitting in the press box and tell my guys, it's 3rd and long...we need a slant pass to the TE, and a fade route by the WR...maybe roll Hanie out in case he can scramble for the 1st... To me, it's not rocket science. At least on that one play.

Many of us have even played some ball in eiather High School, college, etc... Because someone happens to have the job, doesn't mean they're any good at it..

I'd love to give our staff the benefit of the doubt, but I can't.

Sorry, but it is ridiculous to think that if we simply knew the terminology that we would be better at this than the pros.

It always looks like that from the outside. Those without technique assume that the technique is the hardest part. Those that actually acquire the technique are in a place to understand the deeper art to it. Everyhting looks easy from the outside.

So, yeah - I understand a fan's ego - but that's all it is.