john Beck?

nfoligno

PFT is talking about Miami's QB situation. W/ Pennington added, and you have to believe Henne is a lock, that will leave one spot for two other QBs, McCown and Beck. McCown was signed in the offseason, and got some bonus money too. Beck was a 2nd round pick in 2007. One is likely to go.

They make some points why Beck could be on the block, or cut. It could be McCown, but I think there is enough logic to make Beck a reasonable choice.

Anyway, I know all here have fallen in love w/ Hanie, but if Beck were available, what are the thoughts. I don't know a ton about him. He wasn't very impressive as a rookie, but was a rookie, and on Miami. He was a 2nd round pick only a year ago. Anyone have any comments on Beck?

I honestly can't comment... (Shocker!)

I've not seen enough of Beck...although I know he didn't do well on a bad team.

I honestly think Miami's offensive staff last year was better than ours. If they couldn't get anything out of him, I'm not sure we can.

PFT is talking about Miami's QB situation. W/ Pennington added, and you have to believe Henne is a lock, that will leave one spot for two other QBs, McCown and Beck. McCown was signed in the offseason, and got some bonus money too. Beck was a 2nd round pick in 2007. One is likely to go.

They make some points why Beck could be on the block, or cut. It could be McCown, but I think there is enough logic to make Beck a reasonable choice.

Anyway, I know all here have fallen in love w/ Hanie, but if Beck were available, what are the thoughts. I don't know a ton about him. He wasn't very impressive as a rookie, but was a rookie, and on Miami. He was a 2nd round pick only a year ago. Anyone have any comments on Beck?

No way in hell we let Hanie go to take on this stiff Beck. Hanie's the next Tony Romo!!!!

If they couldn't get anything out of him, I'm not sure we can.

Not that I have faith in our coaches, but I would point out he was a rookie on a bad team. When you say they couldn't get anything out of him, what should have been expected?

Maybe he is simply a bust. I don't know. What I know is, our immediate and long term options at QB are limited. Beck was a fairly highly regarded QB in the draft who didn't get much of a shot.

Are we set enough at QB to ignore potential options. Hanie aside of coarse.

I would have expected some bright spots...but there were none to my recollection. Again, I'm no expert on Miami QB'ing...and don't pretend to be. I know very little on Beck. The only Beck I know a lot more about is a brewmeister...

I will never ignore options until we get it right... You'll get no opposition from me to bring the kid in.

If they couldn't get anything out of him, I'm not sure we can.

Not that I have faith in our coaches, but I would point out he was a rookie on a bad team. When you say they couldn't get anything out of him, what should have been expected?

Maybe he is simply a bust. I don't know. What I know is, our immediate and long term options at QB are limited. Beck was a fairly highly regarded QB in the draft who didn't get much of a shot.

Are we set enough at QB to ignore potential options. Hanie aside of coarse.

We're fine at QB. :crying Lt's just stick with three we've got, cause the OL isn't going to help ANY QB out. And Hanie can scramble, right?

The idea of getting a QB like Beck would have FAR more to do w/ the future than the present. If the Rex/Orton experiment doesn't go well, our options for 2009 and beyond are simply ugly. Yea, the URFA has looked okay, but are we ready to declare him our future franchise back? My point w/ Beck is, we should be looking to add a young QB this year to develop for the future.

The idea of getting a QB like Beck would have FAR more to do w/ the future than the present. If the Rex/Orton experiment doesn't go well, our options for 2009 and beyond are simply ugly. Yea, the URFA has looked okay, but are we ready to declare him our future franchise back? My point w/ Beck is, we should be looking to add a young QB this year to develop for the future.

beck turns 27 years old in 2 weeks. not sure if this is a good situation for us to be in with him unless he looks capable and ready, similar to a manning or palmer, to get thrown into the mix.

I'd almost consider jetisoning Rex, starting Kyle, having Beck back-up and keeping Hanie as 3rd. Which mostly stems from my thoughts that this season will be a failure...

Ha! I hear ya!

I think we play a 3-4 offense. After 3 downs, we punt on 4th...

I am sorry I don't know a whole lot about Beck either but if he can't cut it in Miami what makes people think he can cut it with us when he doesn't even play our style of Offense(wow I just offense, I am still trying to figure out what style we play lol)

I am sorry I don't know a whole lot about Beck either but if he can't cut it in Miami what makes people think he can cut it with us when he doesn't even play our style of Offense(wow I just offense, I am still trying to figure out what style we play lol)

I am not saying I know much about him either, but I don't get the "if he can't cut it in Miami" comment. He was a 2nd round pick and has only had his rookie year. The team used another 2nd round pick (or was it a 3rd) on a QB this year, and had already added a veteran. Then Pennington came available, and all their plans changed.

Maybe he hasn't impressed them. Okay, but he had his rookie year. How impressive do you think he should look his rookie year, on THAT offense. Thats one of the few OLs that might match ours. WRs? They traded their best WR during the year (Chambers) and I think had traded, or let go, their 2nd best receiver (McMichael).

Again, I don't know much about him myself. I think he lacks arm strength, but is considered to have the head for an NFL QB and is very good in the pocket and short-mid passing range. Even that I am not sure about. Regardless, I think we should absolutely be looking at other teams young QBs.

I know nothing about the guy but in no way would I trade for him but if he's cut soon enough he's worth bringing in for a look. I'll take back the trade clause because if we were to offer a conditional late-round pick pending him making our final roster it might be worth a look. If he's cut and we keep Hanie then we lose nothing. If Parcells wants to cut Beck (that seems likely considering the early draft pick on a QB and now Pennington) he'll hold him for as long as possible to see what he can get.

I'd almost consider jetisoning Rex, starting Kyle, having Beck back-up and keeping Hanie as 3rd. Which mostly stems from my thoughts that this season will be a failure...

You have got to be kidding -- Cut REX and Sign BECK who has not proved anything in this league??? Rex has at least shown he is capable of playing at a very high level -- sustaining a consistent high level well that remains to be seen this year.

My guess is it is what the Bears thought of Beck in the year he was drafted. Was he high on their draft boards? Did they think he was a good QB prospect coming into the 2007 draft? Was he a player they would have targeted if available in the round they had him projected?

Let's face it, the kid had little if any opportunity to develop or show his abilities in Miami. He is still basically a rookie. Unless the Bears thought very highly of him going into the 2007 draft, why would we have interest in him now?

Keep in mind I predicate that on the assumption we will be lousy this year. Rex is nothing but a stop gap...the others at least offer us the possibility (not gurantee) of a future.

You have got to be kidding -- Cut REX and Sign BECK who has not proved anything in this league??? Rex has at least shown he is capable of playing at a very high level -- sustaining a consistent high level well that remains to be seen this year.

My guess is it is what the Bears thought of Beck in the year he was drafted. Was he high on their draft boards? Did they think he was a good QB prospect coming into the 2007 draft? Was he a player they would have targeted if available in the round they had him projected?

Let's face it, the kid had little if any opportunity to develop or show his abilities in Miami. He is still basically a rookie. Unless the Bears thought very highly of him going into the 2007 draft, why would we have interest in him now?

Agreed that it comes down to how they scouted him pre-draft. As I recall, many eyebrows raised, not because Miami took him, but where they took him. He was considered a reach when they drafted him. But say we thought of him as a 4th round prospect, but Miami took him in the 2nd, that wouldn't mean much today. If he were available, and we thought of him as even a 4th or 5th round pick, it would seem worth bringing him in for a look, if he becomes available that is.

Agreed that it comes down to how they scouted him pre-draft. As I recall, many eyebrows raised, not because Miami took him, but where they took him. He was considered a reach when they drafted him. But say we thought of him as a 4th round prospect, but Miami took him in the 2nd, that wouldn't mean much today. If he were available, and we thought of him as even a 4th or 5th round pick, it would seem worth bringing him in for a look, if he becomes available that is.

I'd agree, maybe, if it were May. Being that it's August, I sure hope we're not scrambling for a backup QB at this point. And if we are, I hope it's a veteran.

I'd agree, maybe, if it were May. Being that it's August, I sure hope we're not scrambling for a backup QB at this point. And if we are, I hope it's a veteran.

I understand what you are thinking, but understand this. I am not looking for a QB for 2008. I am looking for a QB for 2009 and beyond. I don't care who we bring in. If they are going to play behind this OL, they are going to struggle. No, I am thinking about adding a QB for the future. I think Rex is gone after this year. Orton may have another year, but if he doesn't win the starting job this year, he is not in the plans for the future. This is his opportunity. The great Hanie "could" factor in 2009, but that is a big question mark.

IMHO, it is most likely we do not have our future QB on the roster, and thus if a young QB comes available, I would not think twice about picking him up now, to develop for the year, and potentially be part of the mix next year.

I agree 100%

I understand what you are thinking, but understand this. I am not looking for a QB for 2008. I am looking for a QB for 2009 and beyond. I don't care who we bring in. If they are going to play behind this OL, they are going to struggle. No, I am thinking about adding a QB for the future. I think Rex is gone after this year. Orton may have another year, but if he doesn't win the starting job this year, he is not in the plans for the future. This is his opportunity. The great Hanie "could" factor in 2009, but that is a big question mark.

IMHO, it is most likely we do not have our future QB on the roster, and thus if a young QB comes available, I would not think twice about picking him up now, to develop for the year, and potentially be part of the mix next year.

Makes sense. Still, we'll need a few QB's this year if the line blows chunks. May need someone with some mobility. Maybe Hester can play QB?