breaking down all the postions from last night

kinglopaka

OFFENSE - Overall, looked good

QB - Orton looked good. Poised. On target. I was very please with his performance. Did anyone else notice Orton switch jersey after halftime. First half he had the short elastic sleeves, 2nd half the loose sleeves? Wonder why. Rex has lost all confidence. Hes done. cook him.

RB - Forte looked good. He seems to have really good vision. Jones had a very nice run on his first play. I think he will turn out to be a very good pick up for us this year. McKie, you have to catch the ball!

WR - Rashied Davis, great game..I have always been a fan of yours. Brandon Llyod, not much on offense last night, but you still get a spot on the team. Hester, you like your contract? Good, now catch the ball!! Can we redshirt Bennett, I just dont see what all the hype is about with this guy. Mark Bradley, i hope they dont cut you...I still believe you will get that operation and get your male genitals back. Booker, your return to the Bears might be short lived.

TE - Olsen, good hands but dude, you cost yourself a touchdown not lining up properly. Where did Kellen Davis go? I was hoping to see more things out of him this game given Dez Clarks injury.

OL - I was very very pleased with the way they played. Orton had all day to throw! They even opened up a few running lanes for the rb's.

DEFENSE - Horrible, horrible, horrible

DL - Did we even touch the QB other than Dusty on his sack? Im tired of seeing the DE's rush up and around, running past the QB. Ever heard of a inside move? Tommie Harris, were you at the game? Big money players have to show up. You did not.

LB - Poor pursuit angles, poor tackling. I think Urlacher and Briggs were daydreaming about your new contract $$$ along with Tommie Harris.

CB - Can we please be within 5 yards of the WR when the ball is thrown? Yes i know your playing zone coverage, but that doesnt mean be in the next TIME ZONE! Peanut, your time away from camp looks like it has affected your play.

S - Last line of defense. At least you guys didnt let the Rb's get past you last night, but you guys are still giving up the big pass plays.

SPECIAL TEAMS - Good showing on the return game with the exception of Wolfmans fumble. Great punt and fg blocks. Gould, you HAVE to make those field goals!

Extra notes - Is it just me or did ever single played that got a big contract this summer play like crap?? Hester (drop ball, fielding a punt in the inzone and getting tackling which should have been a safety), Urlacher , Briggs, Tommie Harris and Robbie Gould.

DL - Did we even touch the QB other than Dusty on his sack? Im tired of seeing the DE's rush up and around, running past the QB. Ever heard of a inside move? Tommie Harris, were you at the game? Big money players have to show up. You did not.

CB - Can we please be within 5 yards of the WR when the ball is thrown? Yes i know your playing zone coverage, but that doesnt mean be in the next TIME ZONE! Peanut, your time away from camp looks like it has affected your play.

Amen. Preach it. I am constantly disgusted by the fact that the DEs do the outside, speed rush 99% of the time. Also, the fact that the Bears DBs are never near the WRs when the play starts is infuriating when the opposing defenses seem to have such success with slants and quick-outs against our D.

Can we please have some defensive adjustments in game?

Exactly!

This really reeks of a "bend, don't break" philosophy. Except, it broke a few times... The goal line stand kind of made me see that it's not our personnell. When limited to "just stop them", the D responded. But when playing within the scheme of the DC...all of a sudden, this D doesn't look so elite.

Amen. Preach it. I am constantly disgusted by the fact that the DEs do the outside, speed rush 99% of the time. Also, the fact that the Bears DBs are never near the WRs when the play starts is infuriating when the opposing defenses seem to have such success with slants and quick-outs against our D.

Can we please have some defensive adjustments in game?

I miss Ron Rivera-

After the Super Bowl I said get him the hell out of here, but after my strong hatered for his game plan that night has subsided, and I have seen this defense under Babich, I would really like it if we had kept him around.

I guess we can wait until we see a few games this season to see if babich can improve on the horrible year that was 2007.

DE's aren't suppossed to go inside unless they are on a stunt. They are suppossed to go from the outside in. And they did do a good job of not biting on the play fakes and roll outs.

And don't complain about Tommie Harris not making an impact. He was making an impact all night because he was being doubled all night. He took up 2 defenders and allowed his linebacker to do the work. The primary goal for a DLineman is not to get pushed back into the linebackers. Also, when Adams, Harrison, or Dvorcek are lined up next to Harris, he makes them better because they only have 1 blocker to beat.

Dang do I disagree w/ this post.

DE's aren't suppossed to go inside unless they are on a stunt. They are suppossed to go from the outside in. And they did do a good job of not biting on the play fakes and roll outs.

A stunt is more when you and the DT sort of alternate pass rush lanes. Sort of frog jump one-another. Thus your DE is attacking the OG.

That is totally different from a DE who simply attacks the OT differenty. Watch the best DEs in the game, and I am not sure ANY simply attack the edge. Even Freeney, who made a name for himself as a speed rusher, will also use his speed to get the OT off-balance, and then cut inside. Oh yea. And Freeney plays in the cover two as well.

And don't complain about Tommie Harris not making an impact. He was making an impact all night because he was being doubled all night. He took up 2 defenders and allowed his linebacker to do the work. The primary goal for a DLineman is not to get pushed back into the linebackers. Also, when Adams, Harrison, or Dvorcek are lined up next to Harris, he makes them better because they only have 1 blocker to beat.

First, I would agree Harris is getting double teamed, and that means something, but...

(a) Simply taking on a double team is not enough. Great players get double teamed. Elite players beat the double team. Consider WR as a common, easy example. Do you not think Moss is double teamed constantly? Most every teams who has a great WR is double teamed. The elite WRs bust those double teams though.

Getting back to DL. Check around. Most teams have a good to great DL who gets double teamed, but the elite DL of the league beat that double team. Harris can, and has, beaten the double team himself. I am not saying different. But I would argue that simply getting double teamed is not enough, not when you are considered (and paid) as an elite player.

(B) Lovie and Babich have said it 100 times. Our system requires pressure from the front four. In Jauron/Blache days, you would have been right. The job of the DL was to eat up the blocks and clear the lanes for the LBs to clean up. But that is not the scheme we play today. Our DL is expected to generate a pass rush w/o blitzes and LBs. We may use blitzes and LBs some, but that is not the main philosophy of the scheme.

Dang do I disagree w/ this post.

A stunt is more when you and the DT sort of alternate pass rush lanes. Sort of frog jump one-another. Thus your DE is attacking the OG.

That is totally different from a DE who simply attacks the OT differenty. Watch the best DEs in the game, and I am not sure ANY simply attack the edge. Even Freeney, who made a name for himself as a speed rusher, will also use his speed to get the OT off-balance, and then cut inside. Oh yea. And Freeney plays in the cover two as well.

First, I would agree Harris is getting double teamed, and that means something, but...

(a) Simply taking on a double team is not enough. Great players get double teamed. Elite players beat the double team. Consider WR as a common, easy example. Do you not think Moss is double teamed constantly? Most every teams who has a great WR is double teamed. The elite WRs bust those double teams though.

Getting back to DL. Check around. Most teams have a good to great DL who gets double teamed, but the elite DL of the league beat that double team. Harris can, and has, beaten the double team himself. I am not saying different. But I would argue that simply getting double teamed is not enough, not when you are considered (and paid) as an elite player.

(B) Lovie and Babich have said it 100 times. Our system requires pressure from the front four. In Jauron/Blache days, you would have been right. The job of the DL was to eat up the blocks and clear the lanes for the LBs to clean up. But that is not the scheme we play today. Our DL is expected to generate a pass rush w/o blitzes and LBs. We may use blitzes and LBs some, but that is not the main philosophy of the scheme.

You are exactly right. If the front four dont get pressure, then our bigger slower corners get toasted. Tillman in particular