2009 mock from FF

Ed Hochuli 3:16

1 Atlanta - Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

Sam Baker is solid, but he’s no Oher. Oher is a potential franchise tackle, and paired with Baker should give Matt Ryan all the time he needs in the pocket.

2 Miami - Michael Johnson, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech

The departure of Jason Taylor leaves open a hole for a playmaker off the edge. Johnson is long and lanky like Taylor, and has the pass rush potential to make a similar impact.

3 Kansas City - Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia

This spot is high for Stafford, or any QB, so it’s all projection at this point but the Chiefs must address their QB spot in the draft. Stafford has the tools to go this high, but needs to prove a lot on the field this year.

4 Detroit - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio St.

Jenkins is a corner that can play in any scheme and be a shut down corner. The team would like to address the pass rush, but with Johnson off the board, no end is worth this selection.

5 San Francisco - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

The 9ers lack a go to weapon on offense, and that is exactly what Crabtree is. He would give them a large target that knows how to get open and make plays.

6 Oakland - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

Smith has the potential to go even higher than this if he can shed a few pounds, which will increase his agility. Either way he is a big time lineman that would be a huge upgrade for the Raiders. He has the potential to be a standout at any spot outside of center in the NFL.

7 St. Louis - Brian Cushing, LB, USC

Cushing is the type of all around talent any team would love to add to its linebacking unit. He can do it all on the field and should emerge as a team leader, making the defense come together.

8 Chicago - Tim Tebow, QB, Florida

Another Gator QB? I know Bears fans may be worried about that but Tebow at least has a much higher ceiling than Grossman did. The team will not move forward until they nab a QB to lead them. Tebow has a lot of questions to answer as far as developing into a pro QB but he’s definitely got the potential to move up this high.

Okay if let me be the first to say that if we take Tim Tebow, a projected NFL FB, I'll puke and probably hop on another team's bandwagon.

Now, if we suck, I want us to suck enough to get a top 5 pick, so we have a shot at Stafford or Crabtree. I wouldn't even shy away from Cushing, Mualuga (sp?), or Laurenitis.

Thoughts, if any??

i swear if the bears draft that POS, i will go postal. JA, since you suck at drafting offensive guys, let the fans vote. stick to the defense. TEBOW SUCKS, GATORS SUCK. he is the qb of the system, see alex smith. ok i feel better, but damn that just ruined my morning

I love talking about an upcoming draft, but to talk about the 2009 NFL draft before the 2008 NCAA or NFL season has to get off and running, kind of crazy IMHO. I will wait until we see how we do this year, know what our needs will be on the basis of what we see this year, where we will be drafting, and know a whole lot more about the players that might be available in the 2009 draft once we see what they do this year in their respective conferences.

too early...

But if we could get James Laurinaitis, it's be a happy camper. We need to plan for Urlacher's departure...

Okay if let me be the first to say that if we take Tim Tebow, a projected NFL FB, I'll puke and probably hop on another team's bandwagon.

Now, if we suck, I want us to suck enough to get a top 5 pick, so we have a shot at Stafford or Crabtree. I wouldn't even shy away from Cushing, Mualuga (sp?), or Laurenitis.

Thoughts, if any??

Thoughts, if any??

If the Bears got a top 5 pick, I'd be ill.

If the Bears then picked a damn WR with a top 5 pick, I'd be friggin' pissed off.

• 3 weeks later...

The new updated one, after week 1.

2009 NFL Mock Draft

By: Robert Davis | Updated: 9/9

1. Atlanta - Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

Matt Ryan needs more protection, and Oher is a potential franchise tackle. Oher would team with last years #1 Sam Baker to form a very good tackle tandem.

2. Kansas City - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

Sanchez probably does not leave after just one season but the talent is there. Since all of the top QB’s are ranked on potential at this point, Sanchez is as good a bet as any to be the top signal caller selected.

3. Miami - Malcolm Jenkins, LB, Ohio St.

Probably a tad bit too high but he makes the most sense. Michael Johnson needs to start to turn his potential into production if he wants to land here. Jenkins brings the type of ability to shut his side of the field down, which would be a big boost to the Phins defense.

4. San Francisco - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

No matter who the QB is, the 9ers need a playmaker that can be counted on in the clutch. Crabtree is a potential go to receiver and would add much needed talent to the receiving corps.

5. St. Louis - Rey Maualuga, LB, USC

Maualuga's speed and aggressiveness would give the defense a kick in the rear. Maualuga is a leader by example type, and the intensity he plays with is contagious.

6. Oakland - Michael Johnson, DE/LB, Georgia Tech

At some point Johnson will have to justify his hype, but it is still early in the season. He is a Raider type of athlete and fills a playmaking need on the edge.

7. Detriot - George Selvie, DE, South Florida

Selvie has added weight to his frame this year and if he comes even close to the success he had last year, he's a player the Lions will covet on draft day. There have been rumors the past two drafts that they have targeted an end in the first but this year they finally select one.

8. Chicago - Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia

An upgrade is needed at QB, plain and simple. If it is not in free agency, it has to be the draft.

9. Baltimore - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois

Davis is a potential standout in the secondary, and the Ravens DB's are getting up there in age. Upgrading the depth is a need, but landing a long term solution is also something they need to consider. Eugene Monroe or Andre Davis would make sense if Willie Anderson does not work out.

10. Cincinnati - Brian Cushing, LB, USC

This marks the second year in a row the Bengals land a Trojan linebacker. They would love to select an interior lineman but there may not be a talent worthy of such a high selection. Cushing would join his former college teammate to provide the Bengals with as much speed at linebacker as any team in the league.

11. Denver - James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio St.

A leader at inside linebacker is needed, and Laurinaitis provides everything you want in a middle linebacker.

12. Arizona - Chris Wells, RB, Ohio St.

Wells has the ability to go higher, but he has to shake the injury bug to go higher. Matt Leinart is still the long term answer at QB, and having a RB like Wells would make life a lot easier.

13. Houston - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

Smith has the talent to go much higher but there are questions about his weight and size. If he is in shape, his natural athleticism and strength trump the size issues and he is a franchise left tackle.

14. Washington - Taylor Mays, S, USC

The Skins were suppose to have the best safety tandem in the league for the next 10 years but life dealt the organization a tough blow on many levels. Mays is a special talent that can be a difference maker from his safety spot.

15. Buffalo - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

Another talented tackle in this class, Monroe too has the ability to be a pro bowl left tackle. If Jason Peters comes back at full strength, this duo would give Trent Edwards all the time in the world to find receivers.

16. Philadelphia(CAR) - William Moore, S, Missouri

Moore is the perfect player to take over for Brian Dawkins as the defensive leader for the Eagles. His all around play making ability will make it hard for the Eagles to pass on at this point.

17. NY Jets - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland

Heyward-Bey is as fast as any receiver in this draft, and still has a lot of upside left. He would provide an immediate boost with his speed, but playing alongside veterans like Cotchery and Coles would help him develop as a receiver.

18. Tampa Bay - Percy Harvin, WR, Florida

Joey Galloway still has some left in the tank, but he will not play forever. Adding a talent like Harvin would ensure the Bucs of having a speedy playmaker for many years to come.

19. Tennessee - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

Will the Titans finally pick a WR? For Vince Young’s sake, hopefully. Maclin is young and needs some work as a receiver but his potential is amazing. His ability to create something from nothing may be a perfect fit for Young when things break down and he leaves the pocket.

20. Cleveland - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia

Moreno is only a sophomore and may be considered a longshot to declare but he would be a guy the Browns would seriously consider at this pick. A corner would be their ideal position to address, but there may not be a player worthy of the pick. Jamal Lewis is solid but will be 30 years old next year.

21. Philadelphia - Ciron Black, OT, LSU

Thomas and Runyan are getting up there in age, so some youth is needed at tackle. Up to this point Winston Justice has not figured it out, so he cannot be counted on.

22. Minnesota - Tim Tebow, QB, Florida

The Vikes may have no choice at this point but to select Tebow. Most either love him or hate him, but the potential to play in the NFL is there. If Tarvaris Jackson does not grab a hold of the job this year, he may not get another chance.

23. Green Bay - Tyson Jackson, DL, LSU

Jackson is too good of a player for the Pack to pass on. His size and athleticism give him a lot of versatility and the ability to play many spots in the front four, which would help the Packers quite a bit.

24. Seattle - Fili Moala, DT, USC

Last year they selected a USC lineman to solve a need at end in Lawrence Jackson, this year they take another Trojan to upgrade the interior line.

25. NY Giants - Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida

LB was a need going into the season, and an even bigger one now that Kiwanuka has had to move to DE with the loss of Osi Umenyiora. The mid round selections last year are not enough for the Giants to not address this position early in the draft.

26. New Orleans - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

Curry has the size and speed to play a variety of roles at linebacker, which would be nice for the Saints who seem to always need linebacker help.

27. Pittsburgh - Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma

If Robinson is still available, this pick makes too much sense. They have not found a replacement for Al Faneca, and Robinson would stabilize the position for a long time.

28. Jacksonville - Alex Mack, C, Cal

Finding a long term solution at center is a pressing need for the Jags, and Mack is one of the best C’s to come out in the last few years.

29. Indianapolis - Sen’Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn

There is no tackle that has taken hold of the top spot in the draft, but Marks is as good as any of them. He fits the mold of a Dungy defensive tackle and is something the interior line needs for the Colts to step up their game.

30. San Diego - Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma

You could not ask for a more physically imposing set of tackles than Loadholt and Marcus McNeill. With a need at right tackle, the Bolts grab a lineman that may actually be even bigger than McNeill, which will help give Tomlinson even more room to run.

31. Dallas - Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers

The combination of size and speed that Britt brings makes him one of the top receivers available if he declares. Working with a player like TO would only help Britt reach his potential, and give the Cowboys another big play option on offense.

32. New England - Alex Boone, OT, Ohio St.

The offensive line could be a problem for New England this year. Boone brings the ability to step in at RT right away if Matt Light can hang on to the LT spot, or move to the LT position with Light moving to the right side of the line.

Thoughts?

Mine: I don't see how Atlanta can be the worst team. I know the good game was against a sh*tty Lions team, but Ryan showed promise and Turner was great.

I don't get how after beating a good Colts team in Indy we will still have a top 8 pick, but okay. If we do, I'd rather go with Monroe (OT), Selvie (DE), or Smith (OT).

I don't get how they think NE is going to win it all.

Last thing- love that they have Tebow going to Minnesota.