Herniated Disc

CrackerDog

I'm not a doctor. I never claimed to be one. But hearing all the expertise here about how Angelo was a complete idiot regarding a 3 or 4 year old herniated disc was inspirational. It inspired me to do a quickie Google of the terms "herniated disc recovery". Well, I'll be damned if the first full page isn't full of free information on how exercise is the number one cure. Dumb Jerry, he should've known better! This Williams guy hasn't been exercising or playing football or anything for the last three seasons!

DOH!

You guys know everything about everything! Fire Jerry and hire this board!

Go Bearshhhhhh!!!!!!!!

I'm not a doctor. I never claimed to be one. But hearing all the expertise here about how Angelo was a complete idiot regarding a 3 or 4 year old herniated disc was inspirational. It inspired me to do a quickie Google of the terms "herniated disc recovery". Well, I'll be damned if the first full page isn't full of free information on how exercise is the number one cure. Dumb Jerry, he should've known better! This Williams guy hasn't been exercising or playing football or anything for the last three seasons!

DOH!

Go Bearshhhhhh!!!!!!!!

lol I hear ya CD. We have some of the best GM's in the world on this board.

Lighten up Francis...

I actually have a herniated disc and know a lot about it. And you are right, for the most part, excercise and stretching are the best general cures. Actually pilates and reducing and strengthening one's gut is the best. I unfortunatley like beer too much, and have a problem getting a TO-like 6 -pack compared to a Dan Fouts-like 12 pack... But anyway, generally the excercise is a good thing. However, as it was explained to me by my doctor (and I realize we could have different herniated disc issues), shock is not good. I was told to stop skiing, avoid roller coasters and bumper cars, be weary playing intense basketball, sparring, etc... Anything that could result in a "shock" to your back. I have to imagine, playing pro football is on the list as well, but since I'm about as in shape as Drew Carey, he didn't bother warning me of that.

Let's rattle off the issues...

1. Williams has a herniated disc, and has known of it for a while. If it's anything like mine, playing pro ball probably isn't the best thing in the world for it. Regardless of how in shape you are.

2. If the Bears knew of this and went forward, I think it was a dumb risk. Otah, Albert and other OL were available without that potential baggage. It's not like Williams was Jake Long. He was a really good guy out of a small school. No home run hitter by any means.

3. If the Bears didn't know this, then their offensive scouts are truly offensive.

I don't proclaim to know everything...never did. But I do know a little about hernated discs. And I also know Jerry screwed up on this draft choice. We can all argue the semantics over it, but right now, it looks bad for the franchise. And perception is a lot, especially for one that's had such issues as cutting our #1 RB pick for being a jackass. The Bears didn't need this kind of press, and I'll bet that the owners aren't too happy about it either. What they'll do, we can only guess.

Heck, Williams could come back and be a great player. Modern medicine is pretty amazing as is the human body and spirit. But I'm a bettin' man, and the odds don't look great.

DOH!

Go Bearshhhhhh!!!!!!!!

You are slanting the truth about these injuries. One - The article said "possible" cure. Two - The surgery he had may alleviate his pain, but may leave him less flexible. Three - Herniations never fully heal, never. Do your homework before calling people out. His greatest hope is to re-define his core to strengthen the areas around the herniation to help it stay in place. Problem is: he is a huge man playing the worst position in the NFL for putting torque on the lower back. When a DT gets him in a position where he needs to maintain leverage when he's in a static position the compression becomes tremendous.

Not saying Williams career is going in the tank. Just sayin he's going to have to be on top of this for the rest of it. I'm not a doctor. The internet fan thing is also insulting, as I was a fan before Al Gore invented the internet and a damn good athlete as well, before herniated disks ruined me.

In closing, I'm glad you are spending more time on the board lately. You are definately a handfull. :cheers

DOH!

Go Bearshhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Notice I never chimed in on this one. HOWEVER, when two players are similarly rated, the best bet, the move with the most common sensical foundation, is to draft the player out of the two who is not, and has not been injured. It's not all that difficult of a decision to make, to be quite honest. If JA did know, then he probably should have gone after one of the other two or three guys still there if they were ranked similarly on the overeall draft board.

Notice I never chimed in on this one. HOWEVER, when two players are similarly rated, the best bet, the move with the most common sensical foundation, is to draft the player out of the two who is not, and has not been injured. It's not all that difficult of a decision to make, to be quite honest. If JA did know, then he probably should have gone after one of the other two or three guys still there if they were ranked similarly on the overeall draft board.

I don't disagree with you as to the "similarly rated" idea. However...

Jeff Otah - "he might be a liability as a left tackle"

Gosder Cherilus - "proved in 2007 that he lacks the lateral agility and kick-slide to handle speed moves on the outside and will be a better fit at right tackle or inside at guard"

Sam Baker - "lacks ideal lateral range" and his list of injuries is fairly long

Duane Brown - "he struggled out on an island on the left side" "would be better served returning to the right side"

Sound like they all come with some sort of risk and none of them were LT caliber. Oh, and notice the last few lines on this page about Chris Williams. I know ProFootballTalk says several teams took him off their boards because of this old injury but since when are they credible? Apparently they knew something NFL.com missed. Obviously the guy had an old injury and obviously the Bears took a chance, but I don't think you can say for sure that they had Williams "similarly rated" with these other OT's who went in round one. And then there's this...

Injury Report

No injuries reported.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/bac...-herniated-disc

By: Peter F. Ullrich, Jr., MD

While waiting to see if the disc will heal on its own, several nonsurgical treatment options can help reduce the back pain, leg pain and discomfort caused by the herniated disc.Several of the most common nonsurgical treatments include:

* Physical therapy

* Osteopathic/chiropractic manipulations

* Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)

* Oral steroids (e.g. prednisone or methyprednisolone)

* An epidural (cortisone) injection

With an experienced surgeon, the success rate of surgery for a lumbar herniated disc should be about 95%.

Unfortunately, approximately 10% of patients will experience another disc herniation at the same location. This is most likely to happen early in the postoperative period (within the first three months), although it can happen years later.

1) this leads me to ask... was there any steroids prescribed for his recovery over the last 3 years? has he had cortizone injections and if so how many (there is a limit how many you can safely have in one area per year or even ever?)? will he need steroid therapy or other types of drugs after his surgery?

2) this leaves at LEAST a 5-10+% chance he will never play football again due to an unsuccessful disk operation.

3) this also leaves a 10% chance that another herniated disk will occur in this same area.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/herniatedd...uptureddisk.htm

What causes symptoms of a herniated disc?

When the herniated disc ruptures and pushes out, the nerves may become pinched. A herniated disc may occur suddenly in an event such as a fall or an accident, or may occur gradually with repetitive straining of the spine. Often people who experience a herniated disc already have spinal stenosis, a problem that causes narrowing of the space around the spinal cord and spinal nerves. When a herniated disc occurs, the space for the nerves is further diminished, and irritation of the nerve results.

Most patients find relief of much, if not all, of their symptoms from a discectomy. However, the success of the procedure is about 85-90%, meaning that 10% of patients who undergo a discectomy will still have persistent symptoms. Patients who have symptoms for long periods of time, or severe neurologic deficits (such as significant weakness) are at higher risk of incomplete recovery.

does anyone know whether williams was even CHECKED for stenosis? was williams subjected to an MRI of his spine at the combine or after by the bears? did the bears hire neurological doctors to check him prior to the draft for any neurological damage? or was dr. angelo just hoping for the best trying to get another bargain?

i would also like to emphasize the problems with this type of injury... weakness of the extremities such as legs, a reoccurrence of debilitating pain or other disk damage that ‘could’ last for weeks at a time, as someone else has stated this is the absolute worst position in all football for this type of injury. not only is heavy training such as lifting massive amounts of weights as required for offensive linemen not good for this condition neither is his actual job description in which he is bent over and lifting/pushing dead weight defensive linemen and not using his legs to bear the weight in most instances. it also is a requirement to lose weight for this type of injury and yet OL are expected to weigh over 300 lbs!

his age is a plus for a “full” recovery but how hopeful is it to remain so in this type of work? case in point is if he worked through it in college why then the lapse that cause him to have surgery.

in my opinion it was a very, very risky move by the bears to pick a player that high in the draft with those questions to be answered. maybe angie should have tried to move up in the draft for long and settled on not only the best OT in the draft but one who was healthy.

Good points Lucky!

I sure would love to know the answers to some of those questions, but we'll probably never know.

1) this leads me to ask... was there any steroids prescribed for his recovery over the last 3 years? has he had cortizone injections and if so how many (there is a limit how many you can safely have in one area per year or even ever?)? will he need steroid therapy or other types of drugs after his surgery?

2) this leaves at LEAST a 5-10+% chance he will never play football again due to an unsuccessful disk operation.

3) this also leaves a 10% chance that another herniated disk will occur in this same area.

does anyone know whether williams was even CHECKED for stenosis? was williams subjected to an MRI of his spine at the combine or after by the bears? did the bears hire neurological doctors to check him prior to the draft for any neurological damage? or was dr. angelo just hoping for the best trying to get another bargain?

i would also like to emphasize the problems with this type of injury... weakness of the extremities such as legs, a reoccurrence of debilitating pain or other disk damage that ‘could’ last for weeks at a time, as someone else has stated this is the absolute worst position in all football for this type of injury. not only is heavy training such as lifting massive amounts of weights as required for offensive linemen not good for this condition neither is his actual job description in which he is bent over and lifting/pushing dead weight defensive linemen and not using his legs to bear the weight in most instances. it also is a requirement to lose weight for this type of injury and yet OL are expected to weigh over 300 lbs!

his age is a plus for a “full” recovery but how hopeful is it to remain so in this type of work? case in point is if he worked through it in college why then the lapse that cause him to have surgery.

in my opinion it was a very, very risky move by the bears to pick a player that high in the draft with those questions to be answered. maybe angie should have tried to move up in the draft for long and settled on not only the best OT in the draft but one who was healthy.