Rex on the decision

Connorbear

I think you meant to attach the column from the Trib...

But, I generally agree. He does seem like a nice guy.

Sure, Rex is a nice guy, but lets be honest here. He had a choice this offseason. He was a FA, and choose to sign w/ Chicago. He knew the situation, and choose to stay in chicago, thinking chicago offered him the best chance to win. He didn't win. He didn't get it done.

Sorry, but while he is a "good guy" that doesn't alter the fact. He knew how the fans felt, and knew the situation. He had a shot, and didn't do enough w/ it, and now he is the backup. He may not like it, but especially after the last game, I think few can argue the staff made the wrong call.

Guest TerraTor
Sure, Rex is a nice guy, but lets be honest here. He had a choice this offseason. He was a FA, and choose to sign w/ Chicago. He knew the situation, and choose to stay in chicago, thinking chicago offered him the best chance to win. He didn't win. He didn't get it done.

Sorry, but while he is a "good guy" that doesn't alter the fact. He knew how the fans felt, and knew the situation. He had a shot, and didn't do enough w/ it, and now he is the backup. He may not like it, but especially after the last game, I think few can argue the staff made the wrong call.

I think he is living in another dimension....

Lots of nice guys don't get near the shots he has. In that respect, I don't feel sorry one bit. On the flip side, he is a human being and now he's faced with being the backup. The good thing with most backups is they are a popular player on the team. Now, Rex will be the only backup in the league that will recieve a resounding boo when he enters the game. That's a double kick in the nuts for him.

I think he is a really good kid. It's unfortunate it hasn't worked out for him here. He is really needing a change of scenery.

Peace :dabears

Rex was overly hyped and praised and thought of as the Bear's savior.

After failing, fans want to murder him for not being their savior.

It's a stupid analogy, but in literature terms Rex is well on his way to fitting the archetype of the "christ figure."

Now if can rise from the dead . . .

What I'm getting at with my idiocy is that it's a long damn season, and somehow I get the feeling Rex will get at least one more shot to lead us to the promised land. As much as Bear fans hate him, if he's good, it won't take much to win them back. Heck, the guys only 28 years old and still has a great arm. We're going to need him at some point.

My head hurts now.

Rex owed the Bears bigtime. He should have felt a loyalty to them after the way they've stuck with him.

You'se guys are crazy if you don't think there's a decent chance he'll be starting before season's end. This is Chicago...injuries...remember? Really, we might have a better chance of finishing the season with Orton if he was 2nd string. So if history repeats itself then Rex'll get yet another shot; at the very least he'll be playing for a contract on another team next year.

You'll get no argument from me (on this topic at least). ;)

I honestly feel like he's in a different world. Maybe he's been coddled too much...I really don't know. Maybe it's like actors finding their first role. Regardless that everyone tells them they cannot be the next DeNiro, they still think they can. Normally, I think that's a good mentality to have. In his case, it still might be, and maybe he can bring the confidence elsewhere and find some success.

But at the rate we go, odds are he'll be under center some time this year again...

I don't like either Rex "lead us to the Super Bowl" or the Bears won "in spite of Rex". Both are too extreme.

I would not say "Rex got us there" because, sure, he played a role, and save for his Bad Rex weeks, his role was more helpful than hurtful, but he wasn't leading the charge in terms of personal excellence or motivationd.

On the other hand, the QB is the most important position on the team. There's maybe been only a few teams in NFL history that were good enough outside the QB positon that they could've gotten to the Super Bowl in spite of their QB. '05 Bears weren't one of them...and probably all those teams had serviceable QB's anyway, so I'd guess it's never happened.

"At least he got us to the Super Bowl....."

Funny I thought the Defense, and the running game got us there....

Yeah, nevermind that we had the 2nd highest scoring offense in the league that year. We were 8th in passing TDs and 14th in passing yards per game. That may not WOW anyone, but to say it had nothing to do with getting us to the Superbowl just shows bias. Our passing game was just good enough to open up the running game, teams had to respect that long ball, even from bad Rex.

Yeah, nevermind that we had the 2nd highest scoring offense in the league that year. We were 8th in passing TDs and 14th in passing yards per game. That may not WOW anyone, but to say it had nothing to do with getting us to the Superbowl just shows bias. Our passing game was just good enough to open up the running game, teams had to respect that long ball, even from bad Rex.

I know, right?

Yeah, nevermind that we had the 2nd highest scoring offense in the league that year.

I'm too damn lazy & tired to look it up, but I'd be shocked if we were the 2nd highest scoring offense. Maybe the 2nd highest scoring TEAM. That includes our 7 or 8 defense touchdowns, plus #23's 6 run-backs. Which accounts for roughly 100 points.

Not to mention all the times we recovered the ball near our own end-zone.

That being said, I'm glad your in support of Rex. The guys been benched. We'll probably need him this year. Heck, he's probably better then Aaron Rogers.

Ya nevermind the fact he was the 24th ranked QB in the NFL. Rex didn't carry this team as some people seem to want to believe. With the field position the defense and Hester gave him all season he should have had an even better season with such a short field to work with. An NFL STARTER quality QB would have. We unfortunately have a team of Career backups or unknowns at the position due to managment blind supporting of players that handcuffed the team for the last 6 plus years.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go