Bears Mock

ASHKUM BEAR

After dominating the Colts in week 1, the Bears war room re-arranges its priorities. Here is my version of there draft board. My highest priorties are QB, RT, S and then G, WR.

ROUND 1 - PICK 20

1-Cullen Harper QB Clemson - The Bears do need to address the QB position, so don't be suprised if they pull the trigger on Harper who can spend the 2009 season grooming behind Orton.

Other considerations:

Darius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland - The Bears would love to take the speedster at WR, but feel OL needs to be priortiy #1 until they are probowl caliber. There philoshy is to run the ball and Forte looks real good so far and by adding more quality to the front 5, he should only get better and last longer.

Duke Robinson G Oklahoma - Robinson will fit Lovies philosphy for getting off the bus running. Even though the Bears look like they have depth at G with the addition of Buenning, the emerence of Beekman, and the steady Garza, they need to prepare themselves for the drop off in production from the aging: Kreutz at Center, Garza at RG, and Tait at RT. Buenning is young and should regain his rookie form of dominating and would fit nice at the RG position. Robinson will battle Beekman for the LG spot and he should take that without any problems. Garza will fill in nicely as a backup G, while Beekman can challenge Kreutz for the C. The Bears opened up competition for the QB spot, so I see no reason why the rules should be different for any other position.

Myron Rolle S Florida St - He can challege Craig Krenzel for smartest Bear as Rolle will have to decide whether to continue on in his medical studies or pursue a career in the NFL. S will be on top of the Bears needs since Brown/McGowan are FA after this season.

ROUND 2 - PICK 52

2-Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma -Loadholt will be another risky pick as he was picked up for a DUI last June. But his ceiling is high as the 6-8 350 pounder will be a road graded paving the way for Forte at RT for many years. A healthy Chris Williams will solidy the LT.

Other considerations:

Curtis Painter QB Purdue - Painter will join former Purdue alum Kyle Orton and follow in his footsteps once again. The Bears hope that Painter will outperform Orton like he did in college. Painer should pass Drew Brees and Orton for Purdues passing yardage

Patrick Chung SS Oregon- Heart and soul of Oregon's D, Chung plays more of a rover similiar to what Urlacher did in New Mexico

Courtney Green S Rutgers

Michael Hamlin S Clemson

ROUND 3 - PICK 86

3-Derek Pegues FS Mississippi St. - A safety with speed, Pegues is Daniel Manning take 2. Peques can also play ST as a returner.

Other condiderations:

Oderick Turner WR Pitt - At 6-3 200, Turner has size and speed and depending on how Lloyd, Booker, and Bradley do he may become a higher priority.

Louis Vasquez LG Texas Tech - Vasquez is a big road grading G, that plays LG for Texas Tech's pass happy spread offense. He could challege Beekman for the rights to left guard.

After dominating the Colts in week 1, the Bears war room re-arranges its priorities. Here is my version of there draft board. My highest priorties are QB, RT, S and then G, WR.

ROUND 1 - PICK 20

1-Cullen Harper QB Clemson - The Bears do need to address the QB position, so don't be suprised if they pull the trigger on Harper who can spend the 2009 season grooming behind Orton.

Other considerations:

Darius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland - The Bears would love to take the speedster at WR, but feel OL needs to be priortiy #1 until they are probowl caliber. There philoshy is to run the ball and Forte looks real good so far and by adding more quality to the front 5, he should only get better and last longer.

Duke Robinson G Oklahoma - Robinson will fit Lovies philosphy for getting off the bus running. Even though the Bears look like they have depth at G with the addition of Buenning, the emerence of Beekman, and the steady Garza, they need to prepare themselves for the drop off in production from the aging: Kreutz at Center, Garza at RG, and Tait at RT. Buenning is young and should regain his rookie form of dominating and would fit nice at the RG position. Robinson will battle Beekman for the LG spot and he should take that without any problems. Garza will fill in nicely as a backup G, while Beekman can challenge Kreutz for the C. The Bears opened up competition for the QB spot, so I see no reason why the rules should be different for any other position.

Myron Rolle S Florida St - He can challege Craig Krenzel for smartest Bear as Rolle will have to decide whether to continue on in his medical studies or pursue a career in the NFL. S will be on top of the Bears needs since Brown/McGowan are FA after this season.

ROUND 2 - PICK 52

2-Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma -Loadholt will be another risky pick as he was picked up for a DUI last June. But his ceiling is high as the 6-8 350 pounder will be a road graded paving the way for Forte at RT for many years. A healthy Chris Williams will solidy the LT.

Other considerations:

Curtis Painter QB Purdue - Painter will join former Purdue alum Kyle Orton and follow in his footsteps once again. The Bears hope that Painter will outperform Orton like he did in college. Painer should pass Drew Brees and Orton for Purdues passing yardage

Patrick Chung SS Oregon- Heart and soul of Oregon's D, Chung plays more of a rover similiar to what Urlacher did in New Mexico

Courtney Green S Rutgers

Michael Hamlin S Clemson

ROUND 3 - PICK 86

3-Derek Pegues FS Mississippi St. - A safety with speed, Pegues is Daniel Manning take 2. Peques can also play ST as a returner.

Other condiderations:

Oderick Turner WR Pitt - At 6-3 200, Turner has size and speed and depending on how Lloyd, Booker, and Bradley do he may become a higher priority.

Louis Vasquez LG Texas Tech - Vasquez is a big road grading G, that plays LG for Texas Tech's pass happy spread offense. He could challege Beekman for the rights to left guard.

Glad you are looking but it's way to early for this IMHO.

ROUND 1 - PICK 20

Other considerations:

ROUND 2 - PICK 52

Other considerations:

Courtney Green S Rutgers

Michael Hamlin S Clemson

ROUND 3 - PICK 86

Other condiderations:

I can't say that I'm quite ready for the draft yet, but based upon your ranks, this is what I'd like to see:

1 - Duke Robinson G Oklahoma

2 - Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma

Not only does that bring in two studs for the OL, but the guys - if on the same side - already have cohesion.

Its never to early to talk, to make accurate predictions definitely but thats another story. I do think the biggest need next year going into the draft will be the OL though. I think Buenning will be a future starter for us and obviously Williams too but the other 3 spots need to be looked at. I dont know how many good/avg. seasons Tait/Kreutz have left and Garza can always be upgraded.

QB is also a possibility, but none of the QB prospects that could be in the draft excite me very much. If Orton falters I think a F/A would most likely be brought in next season to compete with Hanie. If we could get 2 solid OL prospects I definitely wouldnt be against drafting 2 in the first day.

Glad you are looking but it's way to early for this IMHO.

Too early, nah. Jerry Angelo and staff have their scouts out and are evaluating, they have positions of priority they concentrate on and I bet they have QB, OL, S, WR on that list. They will also look at other positions, but those so far are priorities I see as evident. I enjoy looking at mock drafts and following college players.

I can't say that I'm quite ready for the draft yet, but based upon your ranks, this is what I'd like to see:

1 - Duke Robinson G Oklahoma

2 - Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma

Not only does that bring in two studs for the OL, but the guys - if on the same side - already have cohesion.

Jason, thats what I really want to do myself, but for some reason I swithced it to Harper.

Drafting a WR in the first round would be an incredibly horrible move for the Bears. There is much more need at OG, OT, S, and QB.

No, it's not. We need to get a couple young WRs in here with potential. Bradley and Lloyd might be gone after this year, Booker is 78 years old, and Davis is will be 30 next year.

Bennett is a start (possession WR), but add Benn (possession AND a deep threat with great size) to the mix, and we have a nice little combination of young WRs.

Benn is not eligible for the draft this year. However, Luigs is a complete stud and would be awesome in the 2nd round.

1. I don't see why not. He's currently a sophomore and he's a monster with great NFL size and hands.

2. Agreed. Kreutz is getting up there in age, and Luigs could play OG until Kreutz retires, then could take over at C.

1. I don't see why not. He's currently a sophomore and he's a monster with great NFL size and hands.

You have to be 3 years out of high school to enter the NFL Draft. Basically, you have to be a Junior or redshirt Sophomore. Benn is a true sophomore (2 years removed from his high school graduation).

You have to be 3 years out of high school to enter the NFL Draft. Basically, you have to be a Junior or redshirt Sophomore. Benn is a true sophomore (2 years removed from his high school graduation).

That is true, Benn is not eligible this draft.

First round WR's (so far), the two I would consider if our OL/QB target is off the board is Heyward-Bey or Maclin

Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech 6-3 210 4.48

Percy Harvey WR Florida 5-11 186 4.32

Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland 6-2 205 4.33

Jermy Maclin WR Missouri 6-1 199 4.33

I knew I was forgetting something.

That is true, Benn is not eligible this draft.

First round WR's (so far), the two I would consider if our OL/QB target is off the board is Heyward-Bey or Maclin

Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech 6-3 210 4.48

Percy Harvey WR Florida 5-11 186 4.32

Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland 6-2 205 4.33

Jermy Maclin WR Missouri 6-1 199 4.33

Then why is Crabtree elgible? Isn't he currently a true sophomore?

BTW- I'd loooove to be able to snag up Maclin. He's a stud- imagine him and Hester returning kicks. Not to mention he can catch it, too.

I knew I was forgetting something.

Then why is Crabtree elgible? Isn't he currently a true sophomore?

BTW- I'd loooove to be able to snag up Maclin. He's a stud- imagine him and Hester returning kicks. Not to mention he can catch it, too.

Not a true sophmore, he was redshirted his freshmen year

No, it's not. We need to get a couple young WRs in here with potential. Bradley and Lloyd might be gone after this year, Booker is 78 years old, and Davis is will be 30 next year.

Bennett is a start (possession WR), but add Benn (possession AND a deep threat with great size) to the mix, and we have a nice little combination of young WRs.

2. Agreed. Kreutz is getting up there in age, and Luigs could play OG until Kreutz retires, then could take over at C.

Dude, all I can say is that I'm glad you're not running the Bears. Adding a first round WR to the mix would be pointless for the Bears, and it'd just be a complete waste, IMHO. With a questionable OL, a mediocre QB, and injury concerns at the safety position, the WR position is definitely not in the top three positions of need. A case could easily be made that it's not even fourth either. With Bennett, Hester, Davis, Bradley, Lloyd, and Booker in the mix, the WR position is log-jammed as it stands now. Even if three get dumped - probably Booker, Lloyd, and Bradley - it still doesn't make sense to draft a WR who'll fight for playing time (i.e. Davis, Hester, Bennett), and then have to fight even more for the ball in a run-first, defense-dominated team. He'd be a first round draft pick with a 30-40 catch season...and that's just a waste for a team with other gaping holes.

Dude, all I can say is that I'm glad you're not running the Bears. Adding a first round WR to the mix would be pointless for the Bears, and it'd just be a complete waste, IMHO. With a questionable OL, a mediocre QB, and injury concerns at the safety position, the WR position is definitely not in the top three positions of need. A case could easily be made that it's not even fourth either. With Bennett, Hester, Davis, Bradley, Lloyd, and Booker in the mix, the WR position is log-jammed as it stands now. Even if three get dumped - probably Booker, Lloyd, and Bradley - it still doesn't make sense to draft a WR who'll fight for playing time (i.e. Davis, Hester, Bennett), and then have to fight even more for the ball in a run-first, defense-dominated team. He'd be a first round draft pick with a 30-40 catch season...and that's just a waste for a team with other gaping holes.

Good to see you're satisfied with the our WRs then.

The OL is questionable, but maybe they aren't as bad as we thought. Buenning is a young guy who could be a solid starter for awhile for us, Orton isn't medicore, and Lovie seems satisfied with the safeties and we also have a log-jam there (Brown, Steltz, Manning, Payne, McGowan).

I'm not saying this is what I'd particularly want, but I wouldn't mind it. If we do have the 20th+ pick, I'd rather we traded it anyway unless a very good prospect falls to us (Olsen or Rodgers like).

I wouldn't mind QB-OT-WR or OT-QB-WR either.

Don't forget- if we do go out and grant my wish (sign Mark Tauscher), then we wouldn't even have to worry about drafting another OT and CW and Tauscher would be a potential pretty good starting-OT combination. Then maybe BPA-OG/C-S?

I'm just glad you're not in the charge of the Bears. With glaring holes at three or more positions, the addition of a first round WR would be a very bad move. Aside from that, the WR position has a relative logjam right now, and even if three leave, that still leaves the Bears with Hester, Davis, and Bennett as WRs, and all a first round WR would do would be fight for playing time. And when he got in, he'd fight for the ball on a run-first, defensive minded team. A first round WR at this point would get about 30 catches, and he'd end up looking like a complete waste.

OT, OG, C, S, QB...all five positions, especially if you are concerned with depth and/or age, are in much more dire need at this point. Even though it'd be nice to see young first round talent on all skill positions, it's like I said: a first round WR next year would be a horrible move.

I'm just glad you're not in the charge of the Bears. With glaring holes at three or more positions, the addition of a first round WR would be a very bad move. Aside from that, the WR position has a relative logjam right now, and even if three leave, that still leaves the Bears with Hester, Davis, and Bennett as WRs, and all a first round WR would do would be fight for playing time. And when he got in, he'd fight for the ball on a run-first, defensive minded team. A first round WR at this point would get about 30 catches, and he'd end up looking like a complete waste.

OT, OG, C, S, QB...all five positions, especially if you are concerned with depth and/or age, are in much more dire need at this point. Even though it'd be nice to see young first round talent on all skill positions, it's like I said: a first round WR next year would be a horrible move.

You pretty much just said that.

How about-

Alex Mack/C/Cal

Kenny Britt/WR/Rutgers

Kraig Urbik/OG/Wisconsin

You pretty much just said that.

How about-

Alex Mack/C/Cal

Kenny Britt/WR/Rutgers

Kraig Urbik/OG/Wisconsin

Sorry about the double post...the message board had a hiccup. I posted and it didn't show up. I posted again and then they BOTH showed up.

I can honestly say I'd be happier with that draft, but I don't knoiw much about the guys yet. Also, if it's a Center in the first round, that guy better by able to play guard or tackle until Kreutz leaves. Last but not least, while I said "happier", I didn't say happy. I think that a WR at this point is a very bad move.

Beekman can move to center. He was considered a top center prospect coming out of college.

Peace :dabears