Bears sign Fred Miller

Da Bears 88

So long as Barton makes it to the practice squad, I would just shrug it off. If Miller is not a starter, and is nothing more than depth, fine. Whatever. But I would not be thrilled if we lost Barton. Not to pretend he is great or anything, but he is a young OT/OG who showed some promise in camp, and we should be looking to develop young OL rather than asking Miller to give up his social security benefits a bit longer.

So long as Barton makes it to the practice squad, I would just shrug it off. If Miller is not a starter, and is nothing more than depth, fine. Whatever. But I would not be thrilled if we lost Barton. Not to pretend he is great or anything, but he is a young OT/OG who showed some promise in camp, and we should be looking to develop young OL rather than asking Miller to give up his social security benefits a bit longer.

Really hope we don't lose Barton over this. Would not be suprised if the Cowgirls tried tp snag him for their practice squad. Then again, he should want to come back here as he has a better chance to start in the future for us (most likely).

Peace :dabears

Really hope we don't lose Barton over this. Would not be suprised if the Cowgirls snagged him for their practice squad.

He has to clear waivers before any team can sign him to their practice squad. If he clears waivers, I see no reason he wouldn't end up on our PS. I suppose Jerry Jones would simply offer him a ton of money to join their squad over ours, but I am simply not sure I see that happening. In fact, we are among the few teams I have read about who has provided a few players contracts greater than the norm in order to secure them on our practice squad.

I'm not an oline genius, but I just hope that no one is planning on picking up Barton. All I've heard is various coaches and "experts" talk this guy up and discuss how he has a future as a starting tackle. Those type of prospects don't grow on trees (especially when they are 7th round picks). However, if he gets through waivers, I'm sure he'll stick on our practice squad (he's familiar with the staff and has to see that there isn't any young talent (aside from Williams) which will prevent him from earning a starting spot in the future).

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm not thrilled about Miller. But, maybe it's just insurance. I really don't want to love Barton...but hopefully things will all work out.

He has to clear waivers before any team can sign him to their practice squad. If he clears waivers, I see no reason he wouldn't end up on our PS. I suppose Jerry Jones would simply offer him a ton of money to join their squad over ours, but I am simply not sure I see that happening. In fact, we are among the few teams I have read about who has provided a few players contracts greater than the norm in order to secure them on our practice squad.

Guest TerraTor
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm not thrilled about Miller. But, maybe it's just insurance. I really don't want to love Barton...but hopefully things will all work out.

ont the official site is says he was waived.. that means hes gone does it not?

ont the official site is says he was waived.. that means hes gone does it not?

We have to first waive the player, wait for him to clear waivers, then we can add him to the practice squad. That's the point. Most here simply hope we don't lose Barton, and are able to add him to the PS w/o another team putting a claim in for him.

I'm not an oline genius, but I just hope that no one is planning on picking up Barton. All I've heard is various coaches and "experts" talk this guy up and discuss how he has a future as a starting tackle. Those type of prospects don't grow on trees (especially when they are 7th round picks). However, if he gets through waivers, I'm sure he'll stick on our practice squad (he's familiar with the staff and has to see that there isn't any young talent (aside from Williams) which will prevent him from earning a starting spot in the future).

The one thing that gives me hope is, why would anyone look at OL the bears throw away. If he were a DB, LB, DL or maybe TE, I can see another team looking at who we cut loose, but have a pitiful situation on the OL, and just got Miller off the scrap heap. Barton went undrafted, and while we have read a few good things, I am not sure another team will quickly believe he is that good if WE cut him.

The one thing that gives me hope is, why would anyone look at OL the bears throw away. If he were a DB, LB, DL or maybe TE, I can see another team looking at who we cut loose, but have a pitiful situation on the OL, and just got Miller off the scrap heap. Barton went undrafted, and while we have read a few good things, I am not sure another team will quickly believe he is that good if WE cut him.

If he comes back, it will be interesting to see who is gone from the practice squad. I would be it is probably Fontel Mines as we have 2 good TE and 1 very good TE prospect.

Barton was drafted in the 7th round, He was highly regarded at OU but seemed to slip as the draft approached. here is scoop on Barton.

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference honors as a senior. Played seven games with the first team as a freshman.

POSITIVES: Strong small-area blocker with potential at tackle and guard. Patient, makes good use of angles, and controls opponents at the point. Solid position blocker who seals defenders from the action. Keeps his head on a swivel and shows good awareness.

NEGATIVES: Displays limited blocking range and struggles off the line. Not a natural knee-bender. Bends at the waist, lacks flexibility, and struggles to finish blocks.

ANALYSIS: Barton is an intelligent and hard-working prospect with limited upside potential. He could offer teams an option as a backup player on the strong side.

PROJECTION: Early Sixth Round

Yea, I actually know about Barton pre-draft, and listed him as a player I wanted to get in the 5th or 6th, and thus was quite happy to get him where we did.

Barton was drafted in the 7th round, He was highly regarded at OU but seemed to slip as the draft approached. here is scoop on Barton.

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference honors as a senior. Played seven games with the first team as a freshman.

POSITIVES: Strong small-area blocker with potential at tackle and guard. Patient, makes good use of angles, and controls opponents at the point. Solid position blocker who seals defenders from the action. Keeps his head on a swivel and shows good awareness.

NEGATIVES: Displays limited blocking range and struggles off the line. Not a natural knee-bender. Bends at the waist, lacks flexibility, and struggles to finish blocks.

ANALYSIS: Barton is an intelligent and hard-working prospect with limited upside potential. He could offer teams an option as a backup player on the strong side.

PROJECTION: Early Sixth Round

I'm thinking it would be between Jason Davis (FB) and Mines (TE). Our needs on OL are too great to cut loose Balogh or Reed. Rideau and LaRocque were both borderline to make the 53 man roster, and thus I think we like them too much. Bowman has the draft status, plus was also a borderline 53 roster cut. Baldwin has draft pick status, and is the lone player at the position Angelo loves.

So I think it comes down to Davis, who plays a position I don't think we value super high and Mines, who plays a position we are young and stacked.

If he comes back, it will be interesting to see who is gone from the practice squad. I would be it is probably Fontel Mines as we have 2 good TE and 1 very good TE prospect.

Hate to go against the grain here, but I was happy to see Miller was signed. Remember, he was injured last year and I assume is not injured now. He is a vet who is highly regarded but the Bears apparently, and might just provide us the insurance we need. Plus, he really wants to play for the Bears, reportedly turning down bigger money elsewhere. If he is in better physical shape this year than last, I feel strongly it is a good pickup.

There will be plenty of Bartons on the waiver wire both now and in the future.

I have great respect for Fred. But, really how much does he have left in the tank?

I guess we're going to find out.

Two other teams thought he had enough "in the tank" to chase him and he doesn't even know their offenses. Not saying they were right to chase, hell if I know, but this suggests he's at least got good marketing.

Maybe if you use him in a rotation he'll be OK. I doubt you'll find anyone on this board who loves Fred Miller. That said, doesn't look like there were many other options out there at this point and we need the help at tackle. If my car had a flat and all I could find was a purple tire... I'd buy the fricken thing and get myself home.

If my car had a flat and all I could find was a purple tire... I'd buy the fricken thing and get myself home.

More appropriate analogy.

If my car had a flat, and all I could find was an old bald tire, I would still throw it on and just hope not to have a blow out before I could get home.

If my car had a flat and all I could find was a purple tire... I'd buy the fricken thing and get myself home.

More appropriate analogy.

If my car had a flat, and all I could find was an old bald tire, I would still throw it on and just hope not to have a blow out before I could get home.

Doesn't the restraining order I filed require you not to respond to me online?

OK, I agree... and your analogy was funnier too. But I'm not sure Miller is completely worthless (an old bald tire) if used appropriately. I guess "getting home" will be when the kid is healthy mid-season, hopefully.

Doesn't the restraining order I filed require you not to respond to me online?

So send the police:)

OK, I agree... and your analogy was funnier too. But I'm not sure Miller is completely worthless (an old bald tire) if used appropriately. I guess "getting home" will be when the kid is healthy mid-season, hopefully.

Hey, I said the Miller pickup is fine. I was, and am, against adding Miller w/ the idea of his starting at RT and moving St Clair to LT, but so long as it appears we are just adding him for depth, which it appears is the case, I am fine w/ it.

I am not thrilled w/ our cutting Barton, but admit the risk (another team signing him to their 53 man roster) isn't great.

I am not thrilled w/ our cutting Barton, but admit the risk (another team signing him to their 53 man roster) isn't great.

Me personally would of considered two other options first:

1: Contact Jacksonville who lost two starting OL about sending Metcalf there for a 5-7 RD pick.

2: Put Chris Williams on the IR, and let him get the rest and strength to prepare for next year.