McGowan out per the SCORE

Connorbear

I don't wanna be callous, so I'll start by saying that I wish him the best and from what I could tell he was a hard worker who doesn't deserve the injury hand he's been played.

Having said that, we're through two games and we still haven't lost anyone irreplaceable. Before the season started I pleaded the football gods for at least 4 games with all our big guns (not out for extended time). Hester'll be back in a couple of weeks and Tommie, Dusty, Wale, Alex, Mark, Briggs, Url, Hilly, Vasher, Tillman, Orton, the O-line starters, Olson, and Desmond are still good to go (if maybe a little banged up). If the Bears make it to the 4 game mark, then no matter what happens this season, at least I'll be able to say (for the first time in I can't remember how many years) that I got to see what our team was made of...rather than our team, minus 2 or 3 hugely important starters. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Dang. I wasn't happy with his performance last week, but it's too bad he had to go out like this.

I agree that I think he's done. Steltz, your table is ready...

Steltz has been inactive the first two weeks and it was reported that he was borderline to even make the roster.

The nice thing about D Manning is that he's always healthy. Maybe the nickel position will be better suited for his skills (somehow how I doubt it, but I'm being optimistic.)

It looks like we'll once again be drafting a safety in 2009.

Steltz has been inactive the first two weeks and it was reported that he was borderline to even make the roster.

The nice thing about D Manning is that he's always healthy. Maybe the nickel position will be better suited for his skills (somehow how I doubt it, but I'm being optimistic.)

It looks like we'll once again be drafting a safety in 2009.

If he were borderline to make the roster, I am sure it was because of the amount of veteran Safties ahead of him, not because he did not have potential & skills. I like this kid and think he will do excellent in the NFL. I am sorry to see McGowan injured AGAIN, and out for the season. Happy to see Steltz get an opening.

Is Tampa 2 defenses usually this rough on safties or is it just our misfortune that we can not keep safties healthy?

Is Tampa 2 defenses usually this rough on safties or is it just our misfortune that we can not keep safties healthy?

That's what I was wondering. Last season we traded Chris Harris & it bit us in the ass. Now that McGowan's went down, letting RMJ doesn't seem like such a good idea.

If he were borderline to make the roster, I am sure it was because of the amount of veteran Safties ahead of him, not because he did not have potential & skills. I like this kid and think he will do excellent in the NFL. I am sorry to see McGowan injured AGAIN, and out for the season. Happy to see Steltz get an opening.

No Pix I think our version of the Tampa 2 is rough on safeties because the most recognized Tampa 2 safety John Lynch was healthy for most of his career and the original Cover 2 safeties with the Steelers where Tony Dungy learned the defense always stayed healthy. Its also not a coincidence that Mike Brown's health has been good thus far this season since he has been playing more of the deep middle this year.McGowan was playing closer to the line.Payne OTOH looks like he is suffering from the same thing that has plagued all the other young players who have been tried there.At times they are out of position.I still think some time down the road that Tillman might wind up at safety and just might be the right mix of physicality,speed an coverage that the safety position in this scheme demands.If you have noticed Bob Sanders of the Colts seems to get dinged up a lot also.Its kind of ironic that he and Mike Brown are both smaller safeties who like to bring a load with them when they hit but Lynch was the same way except he was bigger.