No huddle offense

Zod

Seriously that has to be one of Turner's best ideas. It kept philly unbalanced and Kyle was running it pretty effectively. Of course they went away from it later in the game, but I was really impressed with how effective it was.

I really think this should be a staple of the offense now.

One thing a hurry up offense does is it forces the defense to keep the same personnel on the field. There is not time for substitutions.

TB said one reason they started to go w/ the hurry up was they felt we were winded, and thus the hurry up takes advantage of that. Also, you can't sub players, which means you can't bring in fresh players, but also means you can't change your packages.

If you have players who can create mis-matches, this can be effective. Olsen is a player that comes to mind. If we hurry up, we can split him wide, and the defense can only defend him w/ players they have on the field. Of you show him wide on the first possession, and then move him inside. Point is, you can create mis-matches by not allowing a defense to alter their personnel.

I definately liked it. I hope we see it again. I am not sure it is necessary unless you are facing a monster defense like Philly or you are limited in time, such as in a two minute drill or trying to come from behind.

I was pleasantly surprised when we ran that. That was very good coaching on part by the Bears to use to no huddle.

I believe Ron Turner is actually a very smart offensive coach. His problem though is he doesn't adjust well, and he calls some of the stupidest plays at times.

I agree he makes some stupid calls, but IMHO, last nights problems (2nd half) were far more about simply facing a superior defense. The OL was getting killed, and the replays showed that our receivers were incapable of getting open. You can try to do a lot of things (scheme wise) but if your players are playing so poorly, there is simply only so much you can do.

I do think we tried to mix it up a lot. We saw several end arounds, as well as fake end arounds. Then there was also the attempt to have Booker throw the ball. I liked how we did this after several end around attempts, making it more believable. But our receivers simply could not get open. We also had Orton rolling out on several bootlegs to try and free him up some.

IMHO, Turner did a lot to try and counter Phily's pass rush, but in the end, it is up to the players to do a better job.

I was pleasantly surprised when we ran that. That was very good coaching on part by the Bears to use to no huddle.

I believe Ron Turner is actually a very smart offensive coach. His problem though is he doesn't adjust well, and he calls some of the stupidest plays at times.

well, you know we stop doing what's working because they are going to adjust to it.

This staff has no killer instinct. When you have a team down you keep the pedal down and put the onus on them to stop you. You don't just abandon something that's working because you assume they are going to adjust and stop you at some point anyway. kind of damming when you admit by doing this that teams make adjustments yet you often refuse to.

That said the no huddle was a great move as 1.) it was out of character for the Bears and the Eagles weren't expecting it. 2.) a team that is famous for it's exotic blitz schemes can be somewhat neutralized with a no huddle to minimize personnel changes. It wasn't a hurry up no huddle but rather a more casual no huddle but still it was more aggressive than the Eagles were likely expecting. I do hope we use the no huddle more on occasion. How long did it take before we actually implemented this new thing called the shotgun formation?

I too like this "hurry up" offense displayed by the Bears. Especially since Orton has decided because he wears #18 that he too can call audibles every time. I assume that he has been given some leeway in doing this and looks like he is slowly starting to figure out opposing defenses.

I really like how with Orton he is showing improvement each game. He is most definitely poised, compared to Grossman and doesn't get rattled. He knows the rush is coming but continues to look downfield. The 2 INT's were not a result of desperation but more of getting whacked as he was trying to release the ball. And, he is working on the long ball too. They are starting to look like lazers and going longer than 20 yards. I knew this kid would work out ok.