A message to Babich

jason

Dear Babich,

There is no such thing as a 15-step drop. No team, OC, or QB in the league practices this as a routine. The QB will never be back 15 yards from the LOS. Please have your DEs adjust their angles of attack accordingly. And while you're at it, have them twist or stunt every once in a while just to mix things up.

Sincerely,

A fan who's sick of watching the DEs run around the opposing QB

Dear Jason,

You are not a better GM than Angelo. You are not a better GM than Matt Millen. You are not a better coach than any coach currently employed in the NFL and college. Please stop the charade.

Now for homework:

I want you to call up the Bears and ask them what their defensive responsibilities are. Now I want to you to watch every snap over and over and grade the entire defensive line and let us know the difference in the DE and DT grades.

Thanks for posting nonsense,

Someone who cares.

azbearfan,

I know you love calling out folks that aren't under an NFL salary...but isn't it obvious none of us here are NFL GM's?

We're all just fans. Some that may have more football knowledge than others. Some that use logical extrapolation and some that use gut instinct. And yes, we can pretend a bit that our opinions matter and that someone at Hallas hall is listening.

I think it's highly encouraged to challenge and disagree with what any poster posts...but to just say he's not a GM is like telling me I can't hold an opinion about the presidential race because I've never been a president. I dare not mention what the president should do, because by golly goodness, I've never been a president.

Hogwash. We can all reflect our opinions.

Challenge his post, not his career.

Dear Jason,

You are not a better GM than Angelo. You are not a better GM than Matt Millen. You are not a better coach than any coach currently employed in the NFL and college. Please stop the charade.

Now for homework:

I want you to call up the Bears and ask them what their defensive responsibilities are. Now I want to you to watch every snap over and over and grade the entire defensive line and let us know the difference in the DE and DT grades.

Thanks for posting nonsense,

Someone who cares.

Come on AZ. You just talked about how you dismiss Madden, but in doing so, you are dismissing a HOF coach, and one who is still very involved in the game. If you are simply going off the "cred" level, how do you have enough cred to dismiss (or even disagree) w/ anything a HOF coach says?

I would further point out the interview I have mentioned in the past. Former bears, you know, men who actually played in the NFL, called out our coaches for the same things Jason did.

I just blows my mind when a poster tries to pretend that we as fans have no right to an opinion, and should simply accept anything and everything the staff does or says, simply because they are there and we are here. Come on. When Lovie says, "trust me", you actually do? Always?

Come on AZ. You just talked about how you dismiss Madden, but in doing so, you are dismissing a HOF coach, and one who is still very involved in the game. If you are simply going off the "cred" level, how do you have enough cred to dismiss (or even disagree) w/ anything a HOF coach says?

I would further point out the interview I have mentioned in the past. Former bears, you know, men who actually played in the NFL, called out our coaches for the same things Jason did.

I just blows my mind when a poster tries to pretend that we as fans have no right to an opinion, and should simply accept anything and everything the staff does or says, simply because they are there and we are here. Come on. When Lovie says, "trust me", you actually do? Always?

nfo,

Never said we have no right to an opinion. And I dont believe I have ever said that the coaches are flawless. I have called to task their ability to develop our players and teach them correct technique.

But seriously, how many times do we need to see the DE thing?

And in the form of a letter?

Dear AZ,

Thanks for proving how little you know about football. The Defensive Ends are largely unproductive, and it's almost guaranteed that it's by design.

Also, between the two of us, you'd be the student, not the instructor.

Sincerely,

Someone who knows a lot more about football than you do

Dear AZ,

Thanks for proving how little you know about football. The Defensive Ends are largely unproductive, and it's almost guaranteed that it's by design.

Also, between the two of us, you'd be the student, not the instructor.

Sincerely,

Someone who knows a lot more about football than you do

lol

I love your sense of humor.

If Mark Anderson understood his role as the end contain we wouldn't have given up two big reverses last night. As was pointed out in one article last night, why do you think the Eagles ran that play when Anderson was on the field and not Brown?

I agree that it's frustrating to watch our DEs routinely run past the QB when he can step up in the pocket but I am far more concerned about the lack of pressure up the middle. DEs aren't the only guys responsible for getting pressure on a QB. The outside rush does allow for some effective blitzes into that gap between OG/OT.

If Mark Anderson understood his role as the end contain we wouldn't have given up two big reverses last night. As was pointed out in one article last night, why do you think the Eagles ran that play when Anderson was on the field and not Brown?

I agree that it's frustrating to watch our DEs routinely run past the QB when he can step up in the pocket but I am far more concerned about the lack of pressure up the middle. DEs aren't the only guys responsible for getting pressure on a QB. The outside rush does allow for some effective blitzes into that gap between OG/OT.

Thanks for that voice of reason, AZ.

Precisely, the ends have contain in our scheme and the DT's are not supposed to let the QB step up in the pocket. When the DT's do there job then the DE's get sacks.

Ummm...because he's rushing the exact same way he does every time!? The same thing that has caused frustration is the same reason why he got burned on the reverse. He crashes outside, and in a looping motion to the QB. It's why he's susceptible to the reverse. It's also why he was in on the 4th down goal-line stand. It's the only rushing angle he uses.

It's really not that hard to understand. The thing he does over and over and over can be exploited, and often is to the detriment of our entire defense.

Thanks for that voice of reason, AZ.

Precisely, the ends have contain in our scheme and the DT's are not supposed to let the QB step up in the pocket. When the DT's do there job then the DE's get sacks.

Which is precisely why it doesn't work that well with the current players. Do you even realize the fact you are contradicting yourself? By design, Alex Brown is taking himself out of the play by going wide. Since the DTs are not getting a great consistent push, the QB simply has to step up and throw the ball - which Griese did over 60 times. It's also part of the reason why the slant is so easy to execute against the Bears. With no DE to bat down the ball, the passing lane is just there for the taking (added to the DBs playing so far off the ball).

It's a great idea in theory, but most teams do not have the luxury of pass-rushing DTs. Since the Bears don't have those, then the scheme has to change.

One, I agree our lack of penetration inside is a problem.

Two, but I would argue our DEs are a bit part of the problem. It hurts the defense when opponents are able to single block our DEs, and IMHO, how we rush our DEs is a big reason teams can do this. When you know how a player is going to rush the passer, you make it easier for the OT, and thus there is not the need to double our ends.

Three, Because of #2, opponents are better able to devote extra blockers inside, thus making life more difficult for our DTs, but also providing extra help to cover inside blitzes. Few interior blitzes I have seen have been effective, while outsite blitzes seem to have a much greater effect. IMHO, part of this is because opponents are maxing out interior protection, thus when we do blitz from the outside, it is less likely to be picked up.

I agree that allowing more freedom in how our Des attack the passer potentialy leaves us more exposed to some runs, as well as reverses or end arounds. At the same time, I think the benefit of increased pass rush out-weighs the potential damage of those runs.

Stopping the run is great, but if we do not find a way to better pressure the QB, we are in trouble just the same.

Finally, I would add this. If we could improve our pass rush w/ the front four, we would free up our LBs more, thus allowing them to better position themselves against the run. Right now, we are having to blitz our LBs at lot (often inside). If we allow our DEs to better attack the QB, we may be exposed to outside runs, but we would free up our LBs mroe, and we have LBs w/ the sideline-to-sideline speed to cover the edges if they are not having to blitz.

Seems logical to me...

Two, but I would argue our DEs are a bit part of the problem. It hurts the defense when opponents are able to single block our DEs, and IMHO, how we rush our DEs is a big reason teams can do this. When you know how a player is going to rush the passer, you make it easier for the OT, and thus there is not the need to double our ends.

Three, Because of #2, opponents are better able to devote extra blockers inside, thus making life more difficult for our DTs, but also providing extra help to cover inside blitzes. Few interior blitzes I have seen have been effective, while outsite blitzes seem to have a much greater effect. IMHO, part of this is because opponents are maxing out interior protection, thus when we do blitz from the outside, it is less likely to be picked up.

I agree that allowing more freedom in how our Des attack the passer potentialy leaves us more exposed to some runs, as well as reverses or end arounds. At the same time, I think the benefit of increased pass rush out-weighs the potential damage of those runs.

Stopping the run is great, but if we do not find a way to better pressure the QB, we are in trouble just the same.

Finally, I would add this. If we could improve our pass rush w/ the front four, we would free up our LBs more, thus allowing them to better position themselves against the run. Right now, we are having to blitz our LBs at lot (often inside). If we allow our DEs to better attack the QB, we may be exposed to outside runs, but we would free up our LBs mroe, and we have LBs w/ the sideline-to-sideline speed to cover the edges if they are not having to blitz.

Which is precisely why it doesn't work that well with the current players. Do you even realize the fact you are contradicting yourself? By design, Alex Brown is taking himself out of the play by going wide. Since the DTs are not getting a great consistent push, the QB simply has to step up and throw the ball - which Griese did over 60 times. It's also part of the reason why the slant is so easy to execute against the Bears. With no DE to bat down the ball, the passing lane is just there for the taking (added to the DBs playing so far off the ball).

It's a great idea in theory, but most teams do not have the luxury of pass-rushing DTs. Since the Bears don't have those, then the scheme has to change.

Come on coach. The slant is there because the LB's are late to their drops and because they are sometimes blitzing. In our coverage the outside backers have the underneath on the slant. If they are blitzing then we give that up. It has nothing to do with the DE's.

I thought you were the teacher.....

Wow really? Mark this day down. lol

Yeah but alot of that is the talent at DE. If we had a premier player there, people would have to dedicate another man to block him. Right now we have average DE's. And in fact I saw Alex Brown stop his pass rush several times when McNabb pump faked. Straight up stopped and the ball wasn't released. I have no idea what that was about but I was disappointed in it.

And come on nfo, you dont think any OT doesn't know what to expect from the opposing DE's. Everyone watches film. Everyone knows everyone elses moves. Its if you are good enough to stop the DE.

Actually if you took the outside contain away from the DE's it would then fall to the OLB's making their job harder. You are giving them more responsibility which does not free them up more.

If the DT's get a better pass rush then all this is moot. But if you look at it Dusty and Harrison are still relatively new playing full time so hopefully that aspect will get better. Izzy does a good job and Hurt Harris is garbage right now.