Few tidbits from Dan Hampton

nfoligno

Listening to Hampton on the Score today, and he threw a couple things out there:

(1) He said we do not adjust on defense for different opponents, and simply believe our scheme will work equally effective against anyone, regardless of what sort of offense we face. That isn't to say we do not see ANYTHING different, but that we run the same scheme regardless of what we face.

(2) There was a lot of talk about motivation after the flat defensive performance(s). Hampton said a coach doesn't get a player ready for a game by screaming and yelling on game day, but does so throughout the week. He talked about how a coach begins dropping comments here and there, and working a players psyche on Wednesday, and continuing through sunday. He talked about how good Rivera was at this, and how much of that was from Buddy Ryan. But the point was, you mentally prepare a team/unit throughout the week.

Hampton said Babich doesn't know how to prepare a team. In fact, he went on to say, "Babich doesn't have a clue how to emotionally prepare this team." Wow. That is damning.

(3) There was a goal line stand, where we gave up the short rushing TD. Hampton pointed out Brown, and used the example to show how far he has fallen. Can't recall who it was (I think it was actually a CB) who stopped the RB short w/ a below the waist wrap. The RB didn't go down, but was stood up, and Brown came in for the hit/wrap. But even w/ the RB stood up for Brown, he could do little, and the RB fought through Browns hit to get into the endzone. There was a time Brown would have put such a pop on that RB that he would have been out of the game.

Listening to Hampton on the Score today, and he threw a couple things out there:

(1) He said we do not adjust on defense for different opponents, and simply believe our scheme will work equally effective against anyone, regardless of what sort of offense we face. That isn't to say we do not see ANYTHING different, but that we run the same scheme regardless of what we face.

(2) There was a lot of talk about motivation after the flat defensive performance(s). Hampton said a coach doesn't get a player ready for a game by screaming and yelling on game day, but does so throughout the week. He talked about how a coach begins dropping comments here and there, and working a players psyche on Wednesday, and continuing through sunday. He talked about how good Rivera was at this, and how much of that was from Buddy Ryan. But the point was, you mentally prepare a team/unit throughout the week.

Hampton said Babich doesn't know how to prepare a team. In fact, he went on to say, "Babich doesn't have a clue how to emotionally prepare this team." Wow. That is damning.

(3) There was a goal line stand, where we gave up the short rushing TD. Hampton pointed out Brown, and used the example to show how far he has fallen. Can't recall who it was (I think it was actually a CB) who stopped the RB short w/ a below the waist wrap. The RB didn't go down, but was stood up, and Brown came in for the hit/wrap. But even w/ the RB stood up for Brown, he could do little, and the RB fought through Browns hit to get into the endzone. There was a time Brown would have put such a pop on that RB that he would have been out of the game.

Yep, Graham stood AP up and Brown could not finish him off.

1. Yuck. I don't like that. It' shows zero adapability and imagination. It's not like this D is performing well doing that...

2. I miss Chico...

3. Hiss comments on Babitch are truly upsetting. Babitch has no reason to be coaching this defense other than nude pix of Lovie and JA...

4. Sad, but I'm starting to see more and more that Brown may be on his way down...

Thanks Nfo for forwarding that.

1. If it's true, then Lovie sucks. No scheme is gonna work on every team.

2. Babich has gotta go. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

3. Say it ain't so, but its probably time to move Brown into the coaching staff.

although not entirely accurate there is a lot of truth to that statement. i know in the past we have adjusted our defense to stop the run vs. passing teams but... even throughout those games we seemed to lack adjustments when we actually stopped the run and were getting killed by a passing attack when the other team changed tactics.

i think a great example of what hampton has said is us moving our backers up to the LOS. it seems they worked on this scheme before the season started to stop mannings audible passing attack in our opening game. it worked. THEN they continued to keep running this same set throughout the rest of the games even after other teams seem to have found the answer on how to exploit it.

another problem with the backers up in a 5-6 man front is our blitz packages are extremely limited as to where our blitzing backers can come from. in other words we seem to show our hand at where the pressure could/would come from. plus, up the middle our success at pressuring the qb with a blitz has been nominal at best. it seems when we blitz our backers OR corners/safeties from the outside we have had more success.

EDIT: i would also like to point out it nearly eliminates a delayed blitz by our backers, especially url, as the timing is all wrong to do so and this has had some success in the past.

i think it also 'could' be said that we may be causing more fatigue than is necessary with all this movement to our key players always moving up and backpedaling out and especially our MLB who has to cover deep zones in cover 2 sets. it also could be said that our backers are moving back at the snap when they should be moving up or laterally to make plays.

My question would be how the hell does he know this? Is he going to every practice? I believe the practices are not open to the press but maybe they make an exception for former players.

I think criticism of Babich. the scheme, and the defensive players is valid. If the defense does not improve, Babich should go.

Peace :dabears

How long do we wait? We gave him all of last year and through 7 games so far...I don't see much improvement.

I'd give Hampton more credit than that. The guy's been around pro ball for a long time and I'm sure knows a hell of a lot. I've got to think he's got some connections and the rumormill grapevine probably has at least on branch that goes to Hampton's ear... Maybe not. But I'd tend to believe him over just "trusting" Lovie...

My question would be how the hell does he know this? Is he going to every practice? I believe the practices are not open to the press but maybe they make an exception for former players.

I think criticism of Babich. the scheme, and the defensive players is valid. If the defense does not improve, Babich should go.

How long do we wait? We gave him all of last year and through 7 games so far...I don't see much improvement.

I'd give Hampton more credit than that. The guy's been around pro ball for a long time and I'm sure knows a hell of a lot. I've got to think he's got some connections and the rumormill grapevine probably has at least on branch that goes to Hampton's ear... Maybe not. But I'd tend to believe him over just "trusting" Lovie...

Lovie's not firing him in the middle of the yr. If anything, Lovie needs to step in and help (if he hasn't already). If the defense continues to trend as is, Babich should go. I am hoping they can turn it around.

Agreed there...however, as many have suggested along with yourself, Lovie can take over the D and push Babich aside.

I'd like them to turn it around, but I fear as long as the coaching is the same, we will be on this rollercoaster ride...

Thankfully, we have a solid O. Man, I never thought I'd be saying that!

Lovie's not firing him in the middle of the yr. If anything, Lovie needs to step in and help (if he hasn't already). If the defense continues to trend as is, Babich should go. I am hoping they can turn it around.

Criticizing Babich and questioning his schemes is one thing, but where does someone get off by calling Babich a complete idiot who has no idea what he's doing? I know that's not what Hampton said exactly, but it's what he meant.

Also, I highly doubt that Babich is completely in charge of the D. I'd be absolutely shocked if defensive coordinator isn't just a title for Babich and that Lovie is actually in charge of the whole D.

Brown should listen to the experts on an internet message board.

:snr

If that's what it takes to get him off his ass and start making plays then so be it. I'd be happy if his stats would simply match the no-name 2nd year player starting beside him who has only played safety in 7 games in the NFL. That shouldn't be asking too much.

I am not completely satisfied with our defense as we expect them to completely shut down every offense. But looking back, the defense hasn't been as bad as some a saying.

IND - Top offensive team, at least at one time they were and we shut them down at home. I thought our D was great that game.

CAR - Our D did pretty good this game, I'd put it on the offense for blowing this game.

Olson fumble in 3rd Quarter really shifted the momentum. CAR just marched 52 yds down the field, but the Bears held them to a FG. After the kick off, Hester runs is out of the endzone 24 yds and the first play was to Olsen who fumbles giving CAR the ball at the 26 yd line and Stewart blows us up for 19yds and a TD. After that our O couldn't do anything and only got one first down.

TAM - We shut there run down almost 100% allowing Griese to dink/dunk. He did throw for 407yds, but don't forget Kyle through the pick 6 in the 2nd quarter and an INT in the endzone when throwing to Forte. Also, with 3:11 left in the game it was 3rd and 2 and we ran play action and no one was open, another 3 and out. Thats when Griese marched 79 yds to tie it up and put it into overtime.

PHI - Another good offensive team, held McNabb in check. Once again the D was pretty good.

DET - We should have shut them out, D was pretty good though

ATL - Our game plan was to shut down Turner and put it in the hands of a Rookie QB, we shut down the NFL leading rusher at the time, but the rook tore our secondary up. I think we would have won this one if we wouldn't have squibbed kicked it. Lovie also agrees.

MIN - Game plan once again was to shut the run game down, I think if AP didn't break off a 54 yd td we would have accomplished that part of the game plan. Once again, our secondary allowed Ferrotte to throw for almost 300 yds. In the end, we won and we should be happy.

Looking over the first 7, I think our D has done well. We've changed our D game plans unlike what Hampton says (keys:Manning, McNabb, Delhomme, Turner, Graham/Dunn, Peterson). I still don't see alot of changes during the game, but have we ever in 5 yrs w/ Lovie? Our key will be to get healthy on D during the bye week and to game plan on shutting out Detroit before facing Ten. The TEN game plan will be like ATL/MIN by concentrating on defending the run. Hell, lets talk about Rex Grossman or Cedric Benson bahahaha

IND - Top offensive team, at least at one time they were and we shut them down at home. I thought our D was great that game.

That's what we all thought at the time, but Indy has proven to simply not be that great of a team this year, and their offense has really struggled. So while the D looked great, Indy's play since that game has put that a tad in question.

CAR - Our D did pretty good this game, I'd put it on the offense for blowing this game. Olson fumble in 3rd Quarter really shifted the momentum. CAR just marched 52 yds down the field, but the Bears held them to a FG. After the kick off, Hester runs is out of the endzone 24 yds and the first play was to Olsen who fumbles giving CAR the ball at the 26 yd line and Stewart blows us up for 19yds and a TD. After that our O couldn't do anything and only got one first down.

Defense didn't play "bad", but we were facing a team w/o their best offensive weapon too. And w/o receivers to fear, we still allowed a rookie RB to tear us up pretty good.

TAM - We shut there run down almost 100% allowing Griese to dink/dunk. He did throw for 407yds, but don't forget Kyle through the pick 6 in the 2nd quarter and an INT in the endzone when throwing to Forte. Also, with 3:11 left in the game it was 3rd and 2 and we ran play action and no one was open, another 3 and out. Thats when Griese marched 79 yds to tie it up and put it into overtime.

No one is saying our offense is perfect, but was it ever expected to be? Like w/ Carolina, TB was w/o their top receiver (Galloway) and yet Griese had 400 yards. You can say it was dink and dunk, but we allowed it w/o ever adjusting.

PHI - Another good offensive team, held McNabb in check. Once again the D was pretty good.

Once again, we face a team mssing their top weapon (Westbrook) and once again, their offense doesn't miss a beat. Buckhalter had 16 carries w/ a 4.1 avg? Huh? Defense did pretty good. Not great, but pretty good, which is partially why we won.

DET - We should have shut them out, D was pretty good though

Seriously, its detroit.

ATL - Our game plan was to shut down Turner and put it in the hands of a Rookie QB, we shut down the NFL leading rusher at the time, but the rook tore our secondary up. I think we would have won this one if we wouldn't have squibbed kicked it. Lovie also agrees.

But should it have come down to that? We made their rookie look all-pro. It is one thing to say you are going to make priority #1 shutting down the run, but should the defense not be good enough to also stop a rookie QB? Heck, how about slow him down. Zero sacks.

MIN - Game plan once again was to shut the run game down, I think if AP didn't break off a 54 yd td we would have accomplished that part of the game plan. Once again, our secondary allowed Ferrotte to throw for almost 300 yds. In the end, we won and we should be happy.

Hey, everyone is happy, but I think you are missing the point. We are so happy, we are thinking playoffs, but to think like that, we also have to hope all phases of our team are capable. Right now, the defense simply doesn't look good. Ferrotte (not exactly a pro bowl QB) had 300 yards and a couple scores, and we allowed 3 rushing scores as well. Oh yea, and once again, minimal pass rush.

Looking over the first 7, I think our D has done well. We've changed our D game plans unlike what Hampton says (keys:Manning, McNabb, Delhomme, Turner, Graham/Dunn, Peterson). I still don't see alot of changes during the game, but have we ever in 5 yrs w/ Lovie? Our key will be to get healthy on D during the bye week and to game plan on shutting out Detroit before facing Ten. The TEN game plan will be like ATL/MIN by concentrating on defending the run. Hell, lets talk about Rex Grossman or Cedric Benson bahahaha

You think our D has done well? 2nd from last in the league against the pass. Yea, we are 11th v the run, but does that really wash? And we are around 20th in points allowed. Sorry, but any way you want to dice it, our D has not done well. I don't fault the secondary too much, but the play of our front 7 (where we have so much money tied up) has simply not been good.

PO

Back to Mike Brown. There was no way to deliver a hit on that runningback. Mike Brown had to come from the RB's side and help try to pull him back or wedge himself in front of the runner. Instead, he (only having an instant to react and take care of business) grabbed at the side of the RB and the RB pushed through his grasp. I think it was a poor effort, but there's no point in suggesting the "old" Mike Brown would've layed down the wood, so to speak.

In fact, Mike Brown did give a huge hit at another point in the game...kept the WR out of the end zone on the play too. I was more disappointed in his lack of aggression in trying to tackle Adrian Peterson when he broke of the long TD run.

I watched the NFL replay of the Vikings game and I somewhat agree with you on the angle but once he arrived at Peterson, Brown simply moved to the side of him instead of staying directly in front. He gave what I'd call less than full effort at holding him up and simply let Peterson out muscle him and Graham was wrapped around Peterson's legs.

I did see him deliver some big hits in that game but in pass coverage he still arrives late. In years past his timing on arriving at the same time as the ball was very good and he broke up more passes. In watching plays in traffic it seems at times Brown is being more tentative than he used to be. I won't speculate on this being because he is slow diagnosing plays, or if he's just hesitant to get in the mix, or if Babich is telling him to hang back. Whatever the reason, I liked the old way he played where you could always count on him getting in the picture no matter where the ball went.