10 Wins

ChileBear

David Hagh has a good article (at least IMdO) ovr at the Trib:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,4206126.column

I particularly liked what he said about Lovie: a good pre-game coach, but not a good in-game coach. And that Lovie has surrounded himself with "yes" men.

Ten wins, though, will make him look alot better, given all the prognosticators at the start of the season that had us below the Lions!

I particularly liked what he said about Lovie: a good pre-game coach, but not a good in-game coach. And that Lovie has surrounded himself with "yes" men.

Ten wins, though, will make him look alot better, given all the prognosticators at the start of the season that had us below the Lions!

I have to agree with his comments also. 10 wins for this team would be huge considering all the prognosticators suggesting we would be last in our division and would be lucky to win 6 or 7 games.

Take away a few brain farts by our coaching staff (ie the games with ATL & TBB come to mind) and we would be trying to win out for 12 wins and a first round bye.

I thought it was a good assessment as well by Haugh. ALthough the rest is a bit of a rosier picture than I'd paint.

We've certianly done better than initial expectations, but once those positive were set in motion (Orton, Forte,etc), this coaching staff botched far too many games...

It's the old good teams find ways to win, and bad ones, ways to lose. PIT is winning those kinds of games, we're losing them.

I have to agree with his comments also. 10 wins for this team would be huge considering all the prognosticators suggesting we would be last in our division and would be lucky to win 6 or 7 games.

Take away a few brain farts by our coaching staff (ie the games with ATL & TBB come to mind) and we would be trying to win out for 12 wins and a first round bye.

Think you're right. Except for the Puckers' and Queens' games, it seemes like we came to play this season. But Lovie has to shulder the blaim if we don't make the playoffs. Though I can see everyone, outside of this board, saying Lovie did a fine job considering the outlook at the start of the season.

I'm sorry but i don't care if we win 10 games.

No playoffs two years in a row isn't going to go too well with me and other Bear fans.

Regardless if we were only suppose to win 5 games or whatever.

No playoffs isn't a success. So, Haugh needs to get off the drugs.

I don't get the pre-game v in-game comment. I mean, what does Lovie do pre-game that is good? The writer says himself that players tend to tune Lovie out. Further, I would point out how many question our scheming. Is that not part of pre-game? So what is it that he does pre-game that rates the positive comment?

Like I said at the start of the season we should have a least an 11-5 record. We are trying to get to 10-6 right now we are 8-6. We lost games to the Packers, Titans and Vikings. That's three games which we really did lose. But the other three, Bucs(OT by 3), Panthers (by 3) and Falcons (by 2) we gave away by dumb play calling and stupid errors by the players. So like I said with those three games if we had won we would maybe 11-2 right now with the NFC North already won.

We have the talent by IMHO it's the coaches lack of the killer instinct to make us a great team. I will reflect back on a few things this season..fourth and one.......and you know what's coming the Bears are going to run! Oh and with the fullback huh? This was done twice in close game and we lost the battle and the game.

More of the reflections......we are in the red zone on the two first and goal and do we use our 6'7 TE or the 6'5 TE on the bootleg pass or jump ball pass? I will say NO not even once the whole year! You do the math 6'7 TE vs 5'10 CB and who should win a jump ball? Turner needs to go we need and OC with an imagination

Our line has played well but I will say this Kruetz, Tait and Garza are getting old. We need a guard and a bigger center. We need a #1 WR(that can catch) other than Booker & Lloyd.

The defense is OK with the right play calling by we could use a faster FS and a lock down corner. Tillman and Vasher are good but the technique (bail & run) they play sucks

I'm new and not very wise but how many 10 win + seasons have the BEARS had the last 20 years ? or 9 + for that matter ?

David Haugh is such a wise man and he predicted 6 wins for the BEARS this yr. Then questions Lovie's game time decisions as a HC ?

I've got to guestion ? Wha does Haugh know about the BEARS when he's a tad bit off on the number of wins he projected for the 08 season.

Makes me not hold a lot of stock in anything he writes. He's a worse writer than Lovie is a head coach.

I don't get the pre-game v in-game comment. I mean, what does Lovie do pre-game that is good? The writer says himself that players tend to tune Lovie out. Further, I would point out how many question our scheming. Is that not part of pre-game? So what is it that he does pre-game that rates the positive comment?

I guess that's one of those things where you have to be there to know. I certainly don't. I think Lovie is a good politician and shepard of players, but as far as coaching/scheming is concerned, not a fan. That being said, I think I predicted 7 wins in pre-season. So, you would think my expectations would be met.

I guess I would say yes and no. Yes to the offense, as I thought they would be abysmal this season. Yes to special teams, as they have held their own despitethe loss of Ayanbedejo and the decline of Hester's greatness. Hell no to the defense, as they have fallen way short of being the lifeline of the team as I thought they would need to be. Hell no, to the coaches who I blame for 3 losses that should never have happened.(I am in the minority in thinking that Turner and Toub have done a decent job) But the rest... Hell no to Angelo, who I have been a big supporter over the years, for shelling out millions to the wrong people and leaving us with zero good wideouts.(Vasher, Urlacher, A Brown, Hester, Clark) Briggs was a steal and Tillman a push, but the rest have NOT panned out. JA should have used that money to pay Berrian because his upside is still on the rise and it left us vacant. Leaving us vacant was unexcusable.

All told, there are still concerns about the future as I'm not sure if we are on the way up or the way down. Maybe we should open a new thread to discuss.

I'm sorry but i don't care if we win 10 games.

No playoffs two years in a row isn't going to go too well with me and other Bear fans.

Regardless if we were only suppose to win 5 games or whatever.

No playoffs isn't a success. So, Haugh needs to get off the drugs.

Didn't you predict we'd go 1-15? With a chance to win 7-9 more games then 1, you should be satisfied.

Just shut up.

I am not sure I would agree Lovie is a good politician, or shepard of players. Regarding politician, the media blast him as it is like he wants to be Parcells. He shows arrogance and treats the media as if they (and the public) are simply ignorant. If votes decided whether he would keep his job (politician) he was be long gone. As for sheppard, even Hough who tried to defend Lovie says players tend to tune him out.

As for how this team has done compared to expectations, I think it is a bit laughable. 99% of those who said we would flat out suck this year did so mainly due to our QB situation. Orton has done better than expected, and thus we have won more than expected. Before anyone mentions Forte, I would argue there were greater expectations for Forte than our QB. But how much credit does Lovie truly deserve for Orton playing between decent and well? I don't think much at all. Orton is a far greater reason why this team has surpassed expectations than Lovie.

I guess that's one of those things where you have to be there to know. I certainly don't. I think Lovie is a good politician and shepard of players, but as far as coaching/scheming is concerned, not a fan. That being said, I think I predicted 7 wins in pre-season. So, you would think my expectations would be met.

I guess I would say yes and no. Yes to the offense, as I thought they would be abysmal this season. Yes to special teams, as they have held their own despitethe loss of Ayanbedejo and the decline of Hester's greatness. Hell no to the defense, as they have fallen way short of being the lifeline of the team as I thought they would need to be. Hell no, to the coaches who I blame for 3 losses that should never have happened.(I am in the minority in thinking that Turner and Toub have done a decent job) But the rest... Hell no to Angelo, who I have been a big supporter over the years, for shelling out millions to the wrong people and leaving us with zero good wideouts.(Vasher, Urlacher, A Brown, Hester, Clark) Briggs was a steal and Tillman a push, but the rest have NOT panned out. JA should have used that money to pay Berrian because his upside is still on the rise and it left us vacant. Leaving us vacant was unexcusable.

All told, there are still concerns about the future as I'm not sure if we are on the way up or the way down. Maybe we should open a new thread to discuss.

Well put nfo...

Expectations change as more information become available. I predicted 6-7 wins... and like you said, predicated on lack of offense. And while the offense has provided some reason for joy, the D is so awfully below expectation, that it does more than wash the good. Also retirns on ST have been far below expectation until late...

I see this season as a wash. We gained some ground, and lost some ground and are pretty much a shade better than last year due to Forte being much better than Benson.

Are we on an upward swing or on the downward sprial? I honestly do not know. The record only tells part of the story, which part of having one of the easiest schedules in the NFL...

I am not sure I would agree Lovie is a good politician, or shepard of players. Regarding politician, the media blast him as it is like he wants to be Parcells. He shows arrogance and treats the media as if they (and the public) are simply ignorant. If votes decided whether he would keep his job (politician) he was be long gone. As for sheppard, even Hough who tried to defend Lovie says players tend to tune him out.

As for how this team has done compared to expectations, I think it is a bit laughable. 99% of those who said we would flat out suck this year did so mainly due to our QB situation. Orton has done better than expected, and thus we have won more than expected. Before anyone mentions Forte, I would argue there were greater expectations for Forte than our QB. But how much credit does Lovie truly deserve for Orton playing between decent and well? I don't think much at all. Orton is a far greater reason why this team has surpassed expectations than Lovie.

Good point Mongo3451. If we don't get some youger, but capable players for the OL, WR and D (See Mike Brown, Urlacher and Hilly)we are going to be on the way down. It's too bad, when Lovie first arrived I felt he'd be a developer of talent and a teacher. He is not, and we are not bringing in FA that can fill the voids that are emerging.

I assume you're referencing the better than expected record. Because I also think with better coaches, we win those games we choked away earlier this year.

Yeah, I'm saying that Forte and Orton are the reasons we are playing better than expected, that is all. Lovie, Turner, and Babich have had about 1-2 good games each and the rest have been subpar to god awful.

Honestly, this doesn't feel like a 10 win team even if they reach that mark. It's almost like losing a game where the final score was no indication of how badly you were dominated. I think a 10-6 record would sugar coat the train wreck that this season has felt like. Maybe that's just me but it I'd feel that record is a bit empty. It's frustrating to know though that the talent is there that this could be a team with a better record and having confidence about a playoff spot, but instead we have a team that has underachieved and coached by living brain donors who's only chance at the playoffs is to back in due to a collapse of the team they are trailing. Let's be honest here this is a poor to mediocre team who's record may make them appear more competent than they are.

Don't get me wrong though if we do win out and Minn. collapses I'll cheer my heart out in the playoffs but I don't think they deserve to go.

I think there are aspects of this team that are salvageable.

Offense

A solid OL would do wonders for the Offense both in the run game and the passing game. A couple solid WR's would do wonders as well for the run game, pass game, and Kyle. Overall, the offense has been a surprise this year, though I am getting a little unnerved by the frequency of recent turnovers.

Defense

Our secondary needs help, I'm not real sure where I'd start. Both Peanut and Vash have played below par this year. Brown has been healthy but isn't having the impact he normally has. I think Payne has potential. We need to address our secondary this offseason. D-Line and Backers Leave the LB's alone Briggs, Url, and Roach I'm ok with. D-Line I think the talent is there. Problem with the D is the schemes and coaching is a joke so it's hard to tell if the talent is lacking or if it's more a case of a coach who hasn't a clue how to effectively use that tallent. I'm inclined to believe the latter.

Special Teams

Well, they haven't been all that special this year. We've had one return for a TD this year and it wasn't Hester. I've about gotten to the point where I don't want to see Hester back there returning anything not even retrieving the kicking tee as he'd probably drop it 10 years backwards. I have no idea what this kid is thinking.... actually I hope he isn't thinking because I've yet to figure out what his logic is. Last two years he was lightning in a bottle... this year he's disaster waiting to happen. Part of the problem is that we draft this kid and he sets records for return TD's and he's so fast it looks like everyone else is going in slow motion. The temptation is to think let's invent ways to get the ball in his hands... let's make him a WR.

This used to be a team built on Defense, Run game, and solid to exceptional special teams. The Bears reached the super bowl with a team that dominated you on defense, made just enough plays on offense that was set up with good field position by stellar special teams.

I hear ya!

Honestly, this doesn't feel like a 10 win team even if they reach that mark. It's almost like losing a game where the final score was no indication of how badly you were dominated. I think a 10-6 record would sugar coat the train wreck that this season has felt like. Maybe that's just me but it I'd feel that record is a bit empty. It's frustrating to know though that the talent is there that this could be a team with a better record and having confidence about a playoff spot, but instead we have a team that has underachieved and coached by living brain donors who's only chance at the playoffs is to back in due to a collapse of the team they are trailing. Let's be honest here this is a poor to mediocre team who's record may make them appear more competent than they are.

Don't get me wrong though if we do win out and Minn. collapses I'll cheer my heart out in the playoffs but I don't think they deserve to go.

I think there are aspects of this team that are salvageable.

Offense

A solid OL would do wonders for the Offense both in the run game and the passing game. A couple solid WR's would do wonders as well for the run game, pass game, and Kyle. Overall, the offense has been a surprise this year, though I am getting a little unnerved by the frequency of recent turnovers.

Defense

Our secondary needs help, I'm not real sure where I'd start. Both Peanut and Vash have played below par this year. Brown has been healthy but isn't having the impact he normally has. I think Payne has potential. We need to address our secondary this offseason. D-Line and Backers Leave the LB's alone Briggs, Url, and Roach I'm ok with. D-Line I think the talent is there. Problem with the D is the schemes and coaching is a joke so it's hard to tell if the talent is lacking or if it's more a case of a coach who hasn't a clue how to effectively use that tallent. I'm inclined to believe the latter.

Special Teams

Well, they haven't been all that special this year. We've had one return for a TD this year and it wasn't Hester. I've about gotten to the point where I don't want to see Hester back there returning anything not even retrieving the kicking tee as he'd probably drop it 10 years backwards. I have no idea what this kid is thinking.... actually I hope he isn't thinking because I've yet to figure out what his logic is. Last two years he was lightning in a bottle... this year he's disaster waiting to happen. Part of the problem is that we draft this kid and he sets records for return TD's and he's so fast it looks like everyone else is going in slow motion. The temptation is to think let's invent ways to get the ball in his hands... let's make him a WR.

This used to be a team built on Defense, Run game, and solid to exceptional special teams. The Bears reached the super bowl with a team that dominated you on defense, made just enough plays on offense that was set up with good field position by stellar special teams.