Why we will draft defense

nfoligno

More and more, I think we are bound to draft heavy on defense, while attacking offense in FA.

Look at our last two drafts. This past year, our top 3 picks were offense. The prior year, 2 of our top 3 picks were offense. Prior to these past two years, Angelo seemed to rotate between offense and defense each year. This year, I think Angelo will be going back to defense in the draft. W/ needs (at least in Angelo's eyes) at DE, DT, SLB, CB and S, I think it makes sense to Angelo to attack defense in the draft, especially as that is his strength.

While there have been unquestioned misses in FA also, his better "hits" in FA have been offense (Tait, Reuben Brown, at least for short term, Garza, at least in his eyes, TJ, Clark)

So, IMHO, we will look to add an OT in FA, and there are several to choose from IMHO, as well as a WR. Then we will attack defense in the draft.

How would this look:

Sign Gross and Bryant Johnson in FA. There has not been too much discussion about our adding Gross, but why not. OL is a huge need, and Gross is one of the best. While he played LT this year, it has been discussed how he was a great RT prior to this year. We can also cut Tait, which simply frees up more cap space. Then we add a WR like BJ, who is not great by any means, but one of the better options in a poor group.

Then, in the draft, we attack defense heavily.

My preference would still be TJ Hous and an OT like Carey or Starks, but I do not think we pay for TJ, but do think we could pay for OL. Remember, Angelo said last year he doesn't like to draft OL, as he feels it takes longer to develop, and prefers to go the FA route. So in this, we will go a long way toward upgrading our OL, while also upgrading our WR corp. Then we use the draft to infuse our D w/ more talent and young, both of which we need.

More and more, I think we are bound to draft heavy on defense, while attacking offense in FA.

Look at our last two drafts. This past year, our top 3 picks were offense. The prior year, 2 of our top 3 picks were offense. Prior to these past two years, Angelo seemed to rotate between offense and defense each year. This year, I think Angelo will be going back to defense in the draft. W/ needs (at least in Angelo's eyes) at DE, DT, SLB, CB and S, I think it makes sense to Angelo to attack defense in the draft, especially as that is his strength.

angelo's M.O. is to draft offense in the first round and defense in the second and an even mix in the third.

You are right! My gut told me it was D, but when I thought about it more, the only D guys he drafted in R1 were Harris and Haynes...

I don't think Terrell was his pick in 2001, but I can't recall the timing.

If it is indeed O, I hope it's OL this year... I'd settle for a good WR or QB if they fell to us though.

angelo's M.O. is to draft offense in the first round and defense in the second and an even mix in the third.

Hatley drafted Terrell in 2001. Angelo joined the team that offseason, but after the draft.

You are right! My gut told me it was D, but when I thought about it more, the only D guys he drafted in R1 were Harris and Haynes...

I don't think Terrell was his pick in 2001, but I can't recall the timing.

If it is indeed O, I hope it's OL this year... I'd settle for a good WR or QB if they fell to us though.

Not sure I go along w/ that as I would argue DM was essentially our 1st round pick. We traded just out of the 1st round and took him at the top of the 2nd, but he was none-the-less our 1st pick of the draft.

So we have spent our top pick (counting Haynes & Rex) 5 times on offense and 3 times on defense, but as the last two were offense, I simply believe the next will be defense.

I think this year will be similar to 2003 and/or 2004.

In '03, we had two 1st round picks, and spent the first on DL and the 2nd on Rex, but after that, we went heavy defense w/ our 2nd, 3rd and two 4th round picks being defense.

In '04, we went defense (Harris/Tank) in rounds 1 and 2, offense, then back to defense (Vasher, Joe, Harriott).

I think this year could be very similar, espeically if we get an extre 3rd for Berrian. I can see our 1st and 2nd being defense. Split the 3rd w/ offense and defense. Then back to defense in the 4th and 5th.

As much as I want offense, I have to admit, factoring how much better Angelo is drafting defense than offense, this may not be a bad plan. In those two heavy defense drafts, we got: Tillman, Briggs, Harris, Vasher, as well as Tank and Scott, w/ Berrian being the sandwiched offensive player. I would be fine w/ that. That is FAR BETTER than 2005 getting Benson and Bradley on day one.

I think, as much as I want O...specifically an OL or WR (maybe QB depending)...I fear JA picking. Seems to me we have better odds of success w/ D. When JA and Smith get canned next year, at least we'll have one more good D player on roster! ;)

While there have been unquestioned misses in FA also, his better "hits" in FA have been offense (Tait, Reuben Brown, at least for short term, Garza, at least in his eyes, TJ, Clark)

So, IMHO, we will look to add an OT in FA, and there are several to choose from IMHO, as well as a WR. Then we will attack defense in the draft.

How would this look:

Sign Gross and Bryant Johnson in FA. There has not been too much discussion about our adding Gross, but why not. OL is a huge need, and Gross is one of the best. While he played LT this year, it has been discussed how he was a great RT prior to this year. We can also cut Tait, which simply frees up more cap space. Then we add a WR like BJ, who is not great by any means, but one of the better options in a poor group.

My preference would still be TJ Hous and an OT like Carey or Starks, but I do not think we pay for TJ, but do think we could pay for OL. Remember, Angelo said last year he doesn't like to draft OL, as he feels it takes longer to develop, and prefers to go the FA route. So in this, we will go a long way toward upgrading our OL, while also upgrading our WR corp. Then we use the draft to infuse our D w/ more talent and young, both of which we need.

That would fit the Bill Polian mold. I would love for JA to be more Polian-esque. It helps keep the cost of the Colts defense down, while pipelining them with fresh bodies. However, Polian throws in a lot of high picks on offense, with the majority going to D.

Where JA beats Polian is that we always have money to sign our own and free agents. That's another hot button topic. :huh:

Not sure I go along w/ that as I would argue DM was essentially our 1st round pick. We traded just out of the 1st round and took him at the top of the 2nd, but he was none-the-less our 1st pick of the draft.

i guess you can figure it out any way you want but the fact is manning was a second round pick not a 1st round pick.

How would this look:

I would be game for a Jordan Gross, but instead of Bjohnson, how bout checking out Nate Washington. He always seems to make a play in limited action. If we went this route, JA can concentrate on the D, using a 1st RD pick would only make sense if it were used on a DE IMO. Also, I'd like to add that JA is starting to find his way with drafting offense as Olsen/Forte have been difference makers. Beekman/Hester are coming along, even though Hester wasn't intially brought in for O. Williams I think will be solid at LT as Thayer has given him praise recently.

To me it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what positions we drafted last year, but it's more about what's going to be available combined with what we needed. For instance, after last years NFL combine, IMO we'd determined that we would:

In round #1 draft the best OT available. It was need plus availability. If not Williams, we'd have been choosing between Otah & Cherilus.

In round #2 we wanted Matt Forte: I've never seen a 2nd round pick so predictable as this. But if he were gone, we'd have taken Ray Rice or Kevin Smith.

In round #3 we were going WR: After Earl Bennett, four different WR's were drafted in round #3.

We knew this going into free agency, which effected the moves we made.

While last year the hot pick where we were drafting was OT, this year it seems to be DE. That's based on these early mocks. It's tough to speculate past round 1 at this point, but right now it seems like we'll be looking at the best DE available, meaning we'll be less like to sign Peppers.

We had plenty of chances to sign Bryant Johnson & he didn't do much with San Fran this year. But with his size, I think he might be what Orton needs.

With Housh & Antonio Bryant overpriced, we're going to have to bring in a mediocre WR. It might as well be Johnson.

As for Gross, we may determine that a good OT will be available in the draft when we pick. It'll be interesting.

Not trying to start a big Angelo argument, but how much of this issue has to do w/ Manning and Freeney. In those two players, you have (I think) the only two veterans to sign a $30+m SB contract. There might be a couple others, but it is a small club. Point is, you have more money to spend (a lot more) when you start a QB like Rex or Orton, rather than Manning, or when you are trying to find pass rushers, rather than having one of the best on your roster.

Simply put, you have a lot more money to work w/ when you don't have elite players on your roster. Sure, we have some, but they also happen to be a lesser paid positions. LBs simply don't make the same coin as DEs or QBs. Oh yea, and they have Wayne and Harrison, not to mention some studs on the OL. So again, when your team is loaded w/ elite players, it is a lot harder to keep them all.

That would fit the Bill Polian mold. I would love for JA to be more Polian-esque. It helps keep the cost of the Colts defense down, while pipelining them with fresh bodies. However, Polian throws in a lot of high picks on offense, with the majority going to D.

Where JA beats Polian is that we always have money to sign our own and free agents. That's another hot button topic. :huh:

One. I have no problem w/ Nate Washington, but he is not ultimately what I am looking for. I would be fine bringing him in so long as we brought in another WR. Maybe I am in the minority, but IMHO, more than anything, Orton needs a go-to WR he can count on. We have tried to fill that role for years. After we let Engram go, Booked stepped up, but he also became our #1 WR, and was no longer the possession WR option. Since then, we have never found one, and that was back in '02. We have tried w/ players like Wade, Moose, Booker (2nd time) and many others, but we have simply never found a player like Engram, and I believe our offense has suffered for it.

We have got to get a WR who gets quick sep off the LOS. Who runs solid routes, and makes sharp cuts, which again, will keep him open. Oh yea, and one who can catch the damn ball! Finally, one who actually knows where the 1st down marker is. I am tired of watching WRs make their break a couple yards shy of the 3rd down marker, only to be tackles a yard short.

I like Washington. He brings a downfield element that we currently only have one player to fill. At the same time, I just feel a possession WR will help this offense more than anything, or at least in terms of the WR position. Hell, I doubt it would ever happen, but I would be open to bringing back Engram. I know many would think it a move no different from Booker's return, but the reality is, Engram has continued to be a very productive WR. Only an injury this past year stopped him.

As for Angelo getting better w/ offensive picks, we'll see. He picked offense w/ his first three picks, and one turned out to be a stud. One was lost for the season w/ an injury many were concerned w/ on draft day. The third couldn't get on the field. The year before, we got Olsen, and that is great, but I still think his record is very weak on offense. I would argue the greater reason why we have seen "some" success on offense of late is we actually began to draft more players. In his first 5 drafts, only once did we stress offense. That year, we bombed w/ Benson and Bradley, but did get Orton. When you only draft a few offensive players, your odds of success are simply lower. In the last two years, we have stessed offense far more, and thus are bound to have more hits. This year, if we stess defense, but throw in a player or two on offense, my optimism for those couple players is not great.

I would be game for a Jordan Gross, but instead of Bjohnson, how bout checking out Nate Washington. He always seems to make a play in limited action. If we went this route, JA can concentrate on the D, using a 1st RD pick would only make sense if it were used on a DE IMO. Also, I'd like to add that JA is starting to find his way with drafting offense as Olsen/Forte have been difference makers. Beekman/Hester are coming along, even though Hester wasn't intially brought in for O. Williams I think will be solid at LT as Thayer has given him praise recently.

We may not go after Gross. Frankly, I right now have no clue who we will go after in FA. But I would argue:

One. We are set to have around $25m in cap space, and that is assuming we don't make any cuts to players like Vasher, Tait, Wale, who would free up cap further cap space.

Two. We have no one due for an extension. All players who has earned an extension, have been given one.

Three. We have few (if any) Bears hitting FA we are likely to try and re-sign. In fact, the only one may be St. Clair.

Four. I do not believe it is Angelo's nature to load up w/ a ton of FAs.

So if we have a bunch of cap space, w/ few in-house signing plans, and are not likely to sign a boat load of FAs, that leaves the options of spending a large portion of our cap on a few players, which means we are likely to go after a big name.

I would further add this is in fact Angelo's MO. Some years were didn't go after the big name, but in those years, we had far more in-house needs. We don't have that this year, and could see a year more similer to when we added big ticket players like Tait, Wale and Moose.

Gross, Peppers, Suggs, TJ Hous seem like the best options when looking at need/talent. It may be hard to believe we would get any of these guys, but w/ our cap space, I don't see the logic against it .

I agree NFO, except I don't see us making any big splashes in free agency. Gross will be grossly overpaid and I just don't see us going after him.

I think how we draft in previous years can affect how we draft this year. I just have a hard time seeing Angelo stressing offense a 3rd straight draft.

I do agree that, right now, DE seems a likely call in round one. It is viewed by our staff as a high priority, while also looking to be a solid value w/ our pick w/ several DEs likely available and offering solid value.

I simply can see us going offense in FA and defense in the draft.

As for BJ, it isn't that I think he is the best option, but I simply think we will address WR and OL in FA. We have too much cap space to simply go after two spare players, and I think there is greater value at OT, and thus believe Gross could be an option. Then we will look at a mid-tier WR, and BJ is just an option I am throwing out there.

Personally, I would rather TJ Hous and a mid-tier OT, but I think Angelo is more likely to go the opposite, which frankly is fine.

To me it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what positions we drafted last year, but it's more about what's going to be available combined with what we needed. For instance, after last years NFL combine, IMO we'd determined that we would:

In round #1 draft the best OT available. It was need plus availability. If not Williams, we'd have been choosing between Otah & Cherilus.

In round #2 we wanted Matt Forte: I've never seen a 2nd round pick so predictable as this. But if he were gone, we'd have taken Ray Rice or Kevin Smith.

In round #3 we were going WR: After Earl Bennett, four different WR's were drafted in round #3.

We knew this going into free agency, which effected the moves we made.

While last year the hot pick where we were drafting was OT, this year it seems to be DE. That's based on these early mocks. It's tough to speculate past round 1 at this point, but right now it seems like we'll be looking at the best DE available, meaning we'll be less like to sign Peppers.

We had plenty of chances to sign Bryant Johnson & he didn't do much with San Fran this year. But with his size, I think he might be what Orton needs.

With Housh & Antonio Bryant overpriced, we're going to have to bring in a mediocre WR. It might as well be Johnson.

As for Gross, we may determine that a good OT will be available in the draft when we pick. It'll be interesting.

Bryant Johnson had character issues in AZ but still managed to work out as a decent WR. The fact he's back on the market after one year raises a big flag IMO. Is he worse than what we watched most of last year, no, but if he shows up in Chicago make sure it's for a contract that we can get out of down the road if there are problems.

I think how we draft in previous years can affect how we draft this year. I just have a hard time seeing Angelo stressing offense a 3rd straight draft.

Maybe, but right now scouts inc has 4 OT's ranked in the top 32. They have Oher ranked the lowest @ #23, and I've seen early mocks saying all four could be long gone by the time the Bear's draft. It could easily see the Bears taking Andre Smith, Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, or Michael Oher if available.

Then again if we signed Gross, that would make it a mute point. IMO that's part of the reason we don't go nuts spending big money on DE or OT in free agency. While our situation at those spots isn't great, it's far from bad. It's more logical to hope guys improve and draft potential replacements, rather then "making it rain."

I do agree that, right now, DE seems a likely call in round one. It is viewed by our staff as a high priority, while also looking to be a solid value w/ our pick w/ several DEs likely available and offering solid value.

My guess is we're taking the "best player available" between OT & DE. Profootball Weekly's latest mock has DE Aaron Maybin from Penn St. going to the Bears at #18. Scouts inc. ranks Maybin much higher.

That's easy to see since Angelo has preferred doing that in the past.

As for BJ, it isn't that I think he is the best option, but I simply think we will address WR and OL in FA. We have too much cap space to simply go after two spare players, and I think there is greater value at OT, and thus believe Gross could be an option. Then we will look at a mid-tier WR, and BJ is just an option I am throwing out there.

I found a blurb from profootballweekly http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...cwest011009.htm saying that San Fran will lot Johnson walk since they like their other young WR's better. That's not exactly a glowing endorsement for BJ. Teams were reluctant to sign him for fear there was a "Steve Breaston" effect in AZ, and that he was much better because of Boldin & Fitz. Apparantly there might be something too that. That tells me BJ will not be sought after and come very cheap. Which makes me wonder: Is he any better then Lloyd?

It seems like after Housh & Antonio Bryant, about every other WR available will be signing for damn near the minimum. That makes drafting one early even more imperative.

Personally, I would rather TJ Hous and a mid-tier OT, but I think Angelo is more likely to go the opposite, which frankly is fine.

I'd be happy for either or. What I'm really afraid of is that this will be the year the Bear's decide to be cheap again. I could easily see us doing very little and just sitting on that money.

Maybe, but right now scouts inc has 4 OT's ranked in the top 32. They have Oher ranked the lowest @ #23, and I've seen early mocks saying all four could be long gone by the time the Bear's draft. It could easily see the Bears taking Andre Smith, Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, or Michael Oher if available.

Then again if we signed Gross, that would make it a mute point. IMO that's part of the reason we don't go nuts spending big money on DE or OT in free agency. While our situation at those spots isn't great, it's far from bad. It's more logical to hope guys improve and draft potential replacements, rather then "making it rain."

My guess is we're taking the "best player available" between OT & DE. Profootball Weekly's latest mock has DE Aaron Maybin from Penn St. going to the Bears at #18. Scouts inc. ranks Maybin much higher.

That's easy to see since Angelo has preferred doing that in the past.

I found a blurb from profootballweekly http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...cwest011009.htm saying that San Fran will lot Johnson walk since they like their other young WR's better. That's not exactly a glowing endorsement for BJ. Teams were reluctant to sign him for fear there was a "Steve Breaston" effect in AZ, and that he was much better because of Boldin & Fitz. Apparantly there might be something too that. That tells me BJ will not be sought after and come very cheap. Which makes me wonder: Is he any better then Lloyd?

It seems like after Housh & Antonio Bryant, about every other WR available will be signing for damn near the minimum. That makes drafting one early even more imperative.

I'd be happy for either or. What I'm really afraid of is that this will be the year the Bear's decide to be cheap again. I could easily see us doing very little and just sitting on that money.

What I am afraid is that JA/LS will do nothing to address the Oline in the draft. We need younger guys and would prefer to get one in the draft and let him sit behind Gross and learn. Yes I would love to see Gross sign with us but don't see it happening.

JA has to address defense in the draft or via free agency.

After the 09 season Ogun, Izzy, Dusty D and Toinea will all become UFA's.

The four you've mentioned, with the exception of O-gun, are not significant concerns. Izzy did not have the impact on special teams this year after gaining weight to play D-tackle. Dusty's spent far more time on the side-lines then on the field, and Toinea will be lucky to make the team.

As for Wale, I suspect we'll begin searching for his replacement early in the draft. Not to mention, it's not unthinkable that he'll put up 15 sacks this season & we'll be begging for him to return. Not likely, but not impossible.

Either way, I do have to give Angelo credit for having an established team that is returning. With the exception of WR, every position has established veterans returning. We can view imporoving via the draft & free agency as more of a luxury then a necessity. This team was one win away from making the playoffs, and as Arizona demonstrated, once you're in . . .

This is where we disagree. Sort of. I think Tait sucks, and the only reason he has not been called out more than he has is reputation. IMHO, last year he was about as bad as Fred Miller the year before. At DE, I actually agree our situation is not THAT bad, but at the same time, I believe our staff does feel it is "that" bad.

So, if we spend big on one in FA, we can then focus on the other in the draft.

Now, as for whether or not we would spend our 1st round pick on an OT, while that would be GREAT in my eyes, do you truly believe Angelo would spend back to back 1st round picks on OT? I just have a very hard time seeing that.

Maybin? I know little about him, but everything I have read indicates he is more of a Merriman type. From what I have read, he is considered more of a 3/4 DE/LB. I think his stock as a pure DE would be lower. Again, I would love it, but just can't see us drafting OT a 2nd year in a row. Angelo took one last year, but was on record talking about how he preferred to sign veteran OL as he believes OL is an area rookies just take longer to develop.

I could be wrong, but I think PFW also has him ranked as one of the top WRs in FA though. While he is FAR from some sure thing, I think he will have more FA interest than you believe, especially in such a weak class of WRs.

If history tells us anything, its that many FAs we think would warrant no more than the minimum, will sign for considerably more. No question there is a drop after TJ and Bryant, but at the same time, the weaker the class, the more inflated the contracts eventually will be.

I go back and forth on this one. On one hand, I have a hard time seeing us going after the likes of Gross or TJ. On the other hand, when has Angelo ever "sat" on cap space? There have been years we were not active in FA, but at the same time, we were spending big bucks on extensions. We simply do not have the in house players to extend or re-sign this year. Thus, how else are we going to use that cap space? While I have a hard time seeing us going after the big names, I have a harder time seeing us (a) signing a whole bunch of middle of the road players to use of the cap space or (B) not using our cap space.