Plank to be Ryan's DB coach in NY(J)

madlithuanian

...and so is Imren.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=267069

Old No. 46 just another sad reminder

By Mike Imrem

Everything bothers me about the Bears these days.

They're like the brother-in-law you love because you're stuck with him, but everything about him drives you crazy.

My latest discomfort with the Bears came in the form of something that around the NFL was just another team hiring another assistant coach.

Around my breakfast table it was a bowl of yuck: Doug Plank is joining the New York Jets' coaching staff.

Plank played safety under former Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan, father of new Jets head coach Rex Ryan.

The legacy of the Bears' famed and feared "46" defense is alive. Buddy Ryan developed it and named it for Plank's uniform number.

Rex Ryan's defense technically isn't the 46 but does reflect some of its elements - most of all a nasty attitude.

The Plank news reminds me a little of covering a White Sox game in what then was the Texas Rangers' new ballpark.

The place incorporated features of many old baseball parks and had more of the old Comiskey Park than the new Comiskey Park had. Now the Jets' defense will feature more Bears tradition than the current Bears defense features.

Sorry, but it always struck me as unfortunate that the Cover-2 defense employed by Bears head coach Lovie Smith is more Tampa than Chicago.

Graduates of the 46 are coaching all over the NFL - head coaches Ryan, Jeff Fisher and Mike Singletary among them, along with assistants like Plank and Ron Rivera.

Yet Smith digs the Bears deeper down the Cover-2 hole by hiring fellow Tampa alum Rod Marinelli as an assistant.

Listen, none of this means the Cover-2 can't be as effective as the 46. The Bears reached Super Bowl XLI playing it, and the Colts beat them there playing it.

Meanwhile, the Bears won Super Bowl XX with the 46 but also had losing seasons with it. Plank played on some of those losing teams and was gone by the time the Bears won the Super Bowl.

Anyway, my objections concern style more than substance. It's about what feels right and what feels wrong. When the Cover-2 succeeds, I tolerate it rather than celebrate it. When it fails, I condemn it rather than defend it.

What felt right was Buddy's boys trying to destroy opposing offenses, even when the personnel wasn't good enough to win many games. Plank symbolized the 46's approach by being one of the hardest-hitting safeties ever. A Bears defense should be all about attacking offenses, pressuring quarterbacks, terrorizing ballcarriers?

Win or lose - yes, quite often lose - the Bears were monsters. That doesn't seem to be the current defense's identity.

The Cover-2 or Tampa-2 or whatever is characterized as something that Bears history dismisses with disdain - bend but don't break.

Smith does preach forcing turnovers, but Bears football should force fumbles behind the line of scrimmage rather than 20 yards downfield.

Please, give me the 46 with a touch of Cover-2 instead of the Cover-2 with a touch of 46.

Seriously, the Jets' style will look more like the Bears' should look than the Bears do look, just as the Ravens' did while Rex Ryan was their defensive coordinator.

So around here Doug Plank won't be just another assistant coach with the Jets. He will be a bothersome reminder of how the Bears should play defense.

Compared to what we had? Please...

Plank came from Ryan's system, and it was named from him. He has had coaching experience in the AFL, and will probably thrive under Rex Ryan in New York.

Yeah, call me crazy. I love my old Bears legends. And I htink many have coaching skills besides former on the field skills...

Are you so convinced that every single one of our former players now in the coaching ranks are so horrifically awful that they wouldn't be an upgrade to what we casted off these last few weeks?

I guess SD didn't improve on D w/ Rivera there. Neither did SF win any games once Singletary was give the HC nod. Looks like Frazier's Minny D was just putrid... C'mon. If I didn't see some success from our former players in the coaching ranks, I'd say you may have a point. But reality proves otherwise. I'd rather give a former Bear a chance than a Smith crony like Babich... Marinelli at least has proven himself in TB... I can't say that about many other of our superb positional hires...

Man, we should just hire every former bear ever because that would make this team great.

LAME

Man, we should just hire every former bear ever because that would make this team great.

LAME

Naw dude. I disagree. BIG TIME!

I'm sure he's not saying hire "every" former Bear. But, there are some good ones out there that played for us when we were at our best and almost all of them expressed some interest in coming back to coach. We're scared of them. Those guys from '85 know how to play the game from an agressiveness/intensity/attitude standpoint that is seriously missing around these parts now-a-days.

There are several '85 Bears (and coach's sons') coaching in the league now. Most are very successful in what they do. For some reason, the franchise refuses to embrace them. It's tough to say that our team couldn't use these kind of guys and Babich and the gang are better options.

Plank came from Ryan's system, and it was named from him. He has had coaching experience in the AFL, and will probably thrive under Rex Ryan in New York.

Yeah, call me crazy. I love my old Bears legends. And I htink many have coaching skills besides former on the field skills...

Are you so convinced that every single one of our former players now in the coaching ranks are so horrifically awful that they wouldn't be an upgrade to what we casted off these last few weeks?

I guess SD didn't improve on D w/ Rivera there. Neither did SF win any games once Singletary was give the HC nod. Looks like Frazier's Minny D was just putrid... C'mon. If I didn't see some success from our former players in the coaching ranks, I'd say you may have a point. But reality proves otherwise. I'd rather give a former Bear a chance than a Smith crony like Babich... Marinelli at least has proven himself in TB... I can't say that about many other of our superb positional hires...

What gives you that idea? his vast coaching experience since he quit playing? do tell.

Dont even compare him to Chico, Rivera MORE than paid his dues before becoming a DC.

No, like I said, we should just hire them all. The entire 85 bears team, plus Buffone, Sayers, Butkus and OBradovich should all be hired to coach this team because the current coaching staff is so horribly inept. Especially if a play was named after a player at sometime. If there was a play called "Flutie sneak" then Doug Flutie should automatically be hired to be the QB coach and offensive coordinator at the same time. It would be awesome

I totally think you are on to something.

Agreed 100%!!

Thank you for the support! That's basically what I was trying to get accross!

Naw dude. I disagree. BIG TIME!

I'm sure he's not saying hire "every" former Bear. But, there are some good ones out there that played for us when we were at our best and almost all of them expressed some interest in coming back to coach. We're scared of them. Those guys from '85 know how to play the game from an agressiveness/intensity/attitude standpoint that is seriously missing around these parts now-a-days.

There are several '85 Bears (and coach's sons') coaching in the league now. Most are very successful in what they do. For some reason, the franchise refuses to embrace them. It's tough to say that our team couldn't use these kind of guys and Babich and the gang are better options.

I'll play along... I'll answer your questions seriously and treat your comments with respect.

Granted, Rivera has had more experience...but we're not talking about Doug becoming a D Coord or a HC. We're talking about becoming a positional coach. Green Bay just hired Kevin Greene to coach their OLB's w/o any previous coaching experience. These guys need to start somewhere. And while the AFL is not the NFL, I think Plank knows that. But there are certin things you learn having success as a coach in any arena that translates from one sport to another. So, he has more experience that Kevin Greene at this point.

Actually, if we did hire all those guys for our staff, I think this D would be better. And I am serious.

What gives you that idea? his vast coaching experience since he quit playing? do tell.

Dont even compare him to Chico, Rivera MORE than paid his dues before becoming a DC.

No, like I said, we should just hire them all. The entire 85 bears team, plus Buffone, Sayers, Butkus and OBradovich should all be hired to coach this team because the current coaching staff is so horribly inept. Especially if a play was named after a player at sometime. If there was a play called "Flutie sneak" then Doug Flutie should automatically be hired to be the QB coach and offensive coordinator at the same time. It would be awesome

I totally think you are on to something.

You can believe what you want. It doesnt matter what this coaching staff does, you wont ever get behind them. So if you want to play along with my response, I will play along with your thread.

Go 85 bears! Never forget!

Please don't take this as condescending. But, it sounds like you're too young to have seen the '85 Bears play.

What the '85 Bears had is what this team is seriously missing. Other teams get it and they bring them in. We don't. Does it really take that much of a genious to realize that Mike Singletary would make a good LB coach? Fisher/Frazier good secondary coaches?

They knew how to play the game. It wasn't all about ability, but drive, determination and passion for the game. Again, all qualities that lead to an intensity that our team lacks.

When Mike Brown leaves the game, who wants to bet that he'll be one of the better upwardly mobile secondary coaches soon after? That's the point.

And you too can believe what you want. If this staff shows that it's great, I'll gladly change my perception.

Thank you for the entertainment. Although there are far superior funnymen on this board that don't have to stoop to belittling our only team to bring a SB to the city and its fans...

Don't worry. I won't forget.

You can believe what you want. It doesnt matter what this coaching staff does, you wont ever get behind them. So if you want to play along with my response, I will play along with your thread.

Go 85 bears! Never forget!

Please don't take this as condescending. But, it sounds like you're too young to have seen the '85 Bears play.

What the '85 Bears had is what this team is seriously missing. Other teams get it and they bring them in. We don't. Does it really take that much of a genious to realize that Mike Singletary would make a good LB coach? Fisher/Frazier good secondary coaches?

They knew how to play the game. It wasn't all about ability, but drive, determination and passion for the game. Again, all qualities that lead to an intensity that our team lacks.

When Mike Brown leaves the game, who wants to bet that he'll be one of the better upwardly mobile secondary coaches soon after? That's the point.

I saw them play, Im 30+ years old. In a copycat league that mimics success, dont you think there is a reason why the 46 defense is rarely utilized anymore? its because it is outdated, coaches schemed around it. In 85 it was a pretty new thing and the Bears took everyone by surprise, dont take that as a slight on the defense, because it is not, but Coaches in every sport will learn their way around a defense.

All I see constantly around talkbears is people bitching and moaning about what everyone else has. The grass isnt always greener. Plank has been coaching in the AFL for what, 3 years now, and NO prior coaching experience, but this is a guy who the Bears all the sudden needed? GMAB. There are plenty of other candidates out there who can probably step in and do the job, and have experience in the defense the Bears are running(which comes in pretty handy considering you should probably know about the defense you are coaching).

The "drive determination passion" stuff rings hollow. The Bears dont need someone to be an emotional leader as a coach, they need to know where they are supposed to be on the field. You heard it all year long from every player and defensive coach "if we play in our gaps, we will be fine", "if players are in the right place, they will make the plays". Peanut Tillman didnt give up a 99 yard play to Berrian because he lacked drive determination and passion, he gave it up because he peaked in the backfield and was out of position when Berrian blew past him.

Thank you for the entertainment. Although there are far superior funnymen on this board that don't have to stoop to belittling our only team to bring a SB to the city and its fans...

its not the team that is being belittled. It is the idea that bringing back any player from that team is a great idea that will work with 100 percent certainty

The guys from '85 that are coaching aren't necessarily re-creating the 46 defense. However, the defenses that they do coach, are successful. I'm sure X's and Os are part of it. But, SF didn't hire Singletary because he had more and better tricks than Mike Martz. They hired him because they knew he wouldn't put up with any BS, would be accountable and make his team accountable.

You know what? It's not Peanut's 99 yd play that irks me the most about our team. Everyone has occassional lapses. It's coming our flat against Houston when a victory puts us in the playoff. We had everything to play for and still were nonchalant. It's playing with no emotion in the first half of almost every game in the season. That's the stuff that's unbearable. That's what leaves those who watched our team during the Ditka years craving for more from this regime.

Win or lose, Lovie Smith seems like he's about to fall asleep at most press conferences. You can imagine what the pre-game talk sounds like. In life, motivation/emotion/attitude plays a MAJOR part in your daily performance. Football, even more so.

The guys from '85 that are coaching aren't necessarily re-creating the 46 defense. However, the defenses that they do coach, are successful. I'm sure X's and Os are part of it. But, SF didn't hire Singletary because he had more and better tricks than Mike Martz. They hired him because they knew he wouldn't put up with any BS, would be accountable and make his team accountable.

You know what? It's not Peanut's 99 yd play that irks me the most about our team. Everyone has occassional lapses. It's coming our flat against Houston when a victory puts us in the playoff. We had everything to play for and still were nonchalant. It's playing with no emotion in the first half of almost every game in the season. That's the stuff that's unbearable. That's what leaves those who watched our team during the Ditka years craving for more from this regime.

Win or lose, Lovie Smith seems like he's about to fall asleep at most press conferences. You can imagine what the pre-game talk sounds like. In life, motivation/emotion/attitude plays a MAJOR part in your daily performance. Football, even more so.

My god, you are that guy who calls in to B&B every week saying they need to hire someone like Ditka to bring the fire and passion back, arent you?

Tony Dungy won a superbowl with the same attitude lovie has. Belichek isnt a red ass on the sidelines. Mike Shanahan. Wade Phillips.

You dont have to show fire to be a good coach.

Can you quote where I said 100% certainty?

I respect what your'e trying to get at. That just hiring a former player does not guarantee success. You're right. Bottom line, there are no guarantees. So if it's some degree of a crap shoot, some of us are just trying to say to look to some former players having succes elsewhere, rather than bringing in buddies and chums like Babich. The guy form Texas, who I can't recall his name, Hoke?...why is he any more qualified than Plank? Becuase he coached unsuccessfully for the Texans? Maybe he has some success elsewhere that I'm unaware of. Maybe this is the ideal fit and he'll become the next Parcells... We won't know until it plays out.

And yes, the 46 is not the end all be all. It has been figured out. Like the cover 2. However, certain teams implement it on occassion with great success. Having a few positional coaches that know that scheme, that know the basics of tackling, that know hard work and smarts on the field pay off with success are good to have around I think.

I've seen who Smith has hired. And he's basically fired them all but his friend Babich. I simply do not trust that he knows how to put together a staff. I, and others, have noticed a serious effort by management to distance themselves from the success of 1985. Some ask "why"? I know why. Because it's embarassing that our only real success has been from 24 years ago.

its not the team that is being belittled. It is the idea that bringing back any player from that team is a great idea that will work with 100 percent certainty

Tony Dungy won a superbowl with the same attitude lovie has. Belichek isnt a red ass on the sidelines. Mike Shanahan. Wade Phillips.

You dont have to show fire to be a good coach.

Those examples don't help your case much. Tony Dungy may be quiet sometimes, but he's known to get in a player's butt when necessary. Belicheck, c'mon. That almost goes without saying. Mike Shanahan? I guess you haven't seen him much either. Not even close to Lovie's style.

Lovie is softer and quieter than all of those guys except for Wade Phillips; who nobody really wants to emulate. But, overall that's kinda periphial to the overall point of not giving '85 Bears guys shots at positional coaching jobs when their help is needed and others are stinking up the place.

The "drive determination passion" stuff rings hollow. The Bears dont need someone to be an emotional leader as a coach, they need to know where they are supposed to be on the field. You heard it all year long from every player and defensive coach "if we play in our gaps, we will be fine", "if players are in the right place, they will make the plays". Peanut Tillman didnt give up a 99 yard play to Berrian because he lacked drive determination and passion, he gave it up because he peaked in the backfield and was out of position when Berrian blew past him.

After the Cards got their butt kicked in New England their head coach ripped into them verbally. When they got back to town their first practice was in full pads with full contact. Since then they are undefeated and you can watch them on Sunday. Maybe that won't work with the Bears but for once I'd like to see Lovie give it a try. Players can be in the right gap but if they don't make the tackle or can't quite get to the QB for a sack then they don't make the play. That's where the emotion of the game comes into play. Ayanbadejo said it himself before the Ravens - Steelers game; the Bears were just too comfortable.