Mock

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Just wanted to see what your thoughts were on my newest mock draft.

Trade down in the 1st, pick up a 3rd and a 5th.

1. Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee

---Before the Senior Bowl, his toughness and ability to get the QB were questioned and he was a 3rd rounder. He had a great week of practices and a great Senior Bowl. He's a late 1st-early 2nd guy now.

2. Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers

---All is quiet on the Kenny Britt front. He'll probably run a measly 4.6 40 at the combine which hopefully will help him fall here.

3. 3. Fenuki Tupou, RT, Oregon

---He's a good pass AND run blocker. He can play RT or LT. It's about time we added an islander.

3. Jairus Byrd, CB, Oregon

---If we cut Vasher, we still have an injury ridiculed CB, a solid CB, and another injury ridiculed CB. This position needs to be addressed, and Byrd is 6'0 210 which is big for a CB. He's a perfect Tampa-2 CB, too.

3. David Bruton, FS, Notre Dame

---A pretty big FS at 6'2 215. His only deal is he only has average speed. A pretty good value pick here.

4. Matt Slauson, RG, Nebraska

---He filled in and helped Marlon Lucky to good things this past year at Nebraska. He's a nasty son of a b**ch.

5. Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky

---He's got great size and speed to get to the QB, but his only problem is run stopping, which is where Harrison comes into play.

5. Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State

---We need a QB in this draft somewhere, and Harrell and Daniel have no size or skill to play in the NFL. At least Bomar does...sort of.

6. Quinn Johnson, FB, LSU

---McKie sucks. Johnson is mean and nasty, and his biggest weakness was his catching ability. The first 2 throws of the Senior Bowl were to him, and he caught them both.

7. Russell Allen, OLB, San Diego State

---I don't know much about this guy. We need an OLB somewhere here (unless we sign Suggs which won't happen).

So, what you are saying is, the mocks you do are what you think the Bears WILL DO, and not what you think they SHOULD DO?

Correct.

Then again, for this mock, I wouldn't mind it. Slauson was impressive this season and in the E/W Shrine game.

But yes, when I do them, it's what I think they will do, not what I want. If I had my choice, I'd go with your strategy- OL the first 2 rounds. But we won't do that, so whatever.

I'm not a big fan of using a first round pick on guy whose stock rises so much after the season. There are too many question marks for me. He only had 3 sacks his last year in college? Before I'd take Ayers I prefer to grab our future RT (Oher if there) or a WR in RD 1.

Ayers has been getting excellent reviews but I would not use a first rd pick on him nor should the BEARS.

I'm a Notre Dame fan and would use a 4th on Bruton but would not use a 3rd on a safety with hands of stone.

Bomar IMO is not worthy of being any more than a 7th rd pick. He was less than impressive at the Senior Bowl.

1. William Moore S Mizzu 6'1" 230

Outstanding size with long arms...Muscular with great bulk...A great athlete...Tough and physical...A big hitter who strikes fear into the hearts of the opposition...Does a terrific job against the run...Has excellent range...Explosive with a burst to close...Decent hands and ball skills...Has shown the ability to make plays in coverage...Real versatile...Productive...Strong work ethic...A team leader and captain

2. Eric Wood C Louisville 6'4" 309 Very good size and bulk...Excellent strength...Super tough and real physical...A finisher who plays with a nasty demeanor...Light on his feet with nice footwork...Can pull and get to the second level...Quick and agile with decent athleticism...Intelligent with a first-rate football IQ...Intense and competitive...Hard worker...Has a ton of experience

3. Troy Kropog OT Tulane 6'6" 315 Good size with a large frame...Great athleticism...Very light on his feet...Quick and agile...Excellent pass protector...Smart with good awareness...Good mobility to get to the second level and pull...Moves well laterally...Natural knee bender...Technically sound...Uses his hands well...Nice balance...Outstanding work ethic...Tough...Has a fire in his belly...Lots of experience...A team leader...Still has some upside

3. Derrick Williams WR Penn St. 6'0" 194 Excellent athleticism...Has good speed and plays fast...Extremely quick...Terrific change of direction skills...Very elusive...Outstanding vision...Runs well after the catch...Solid ball skills...Tough with adequate strength...Not afraid to work the middle...Gives good effort as a blocker...Fantastic return man...Offers a lot of versatility...Very competitive...Intelligent...Mature...Solid intangibles... Still has upside

4. Ramses Barden WR Cal Poly 6'6" 227 Great height and outstanding bulk...Excellent athleticism...Real strong and physical...Good leaper with terrific ball skills...Runs with some power...Has a nose for the endzone...Decent blocker...Intelligent with solid intangibles..Extremely productive and was dominant at his level.

5. Zack Follet OLB CAL 6'1" 238 Very physical with good strength...Reliable tackler...Excellent in pursuit...Does a nice job versus the run...Can take on and shed blockers...Good pass rusher and blitzer...Has a burst to close...Very intense and competitive...A big hitter...Has a non-stop motor...Superb instincts...Hard worker...Tough and durable...Has a lot of special teams potential... Productive and really had a terrific senior campaign.

5. Kyle Moore DE USC 6'6" 270 Excellent size with terrific bulk...Has a large frame with very long arms...Decent athleticism...Pretty good strength and flashes some power...Does a nice job of shedding blocks...Holds his ground and is solid against the run... Good intangibles ...Had a nice senior campaign. Big Character guy. Dad was career Army.

6. Cedric Peerman RB Virginia 5'10" 208 Adequate size and good bulk...Very strong and tough...Runs hard and with some power...Good vision and instincts...Excels between the tackles...Can contribute as a receiver out of the backfield...Has some experience as a return man...Hard worker...Had a solid senior season.

7. Chase Coffman TE Mizzu 6'6" 245 Great hands TE. Had 90 receptions in 2008 and was near the 1k mark on yards. Lack of speed did not hinder pass catching skills. Has a knack in getting open. Very smart reciever, reads coverages and can adjust on the fly. Very good Charcter guy. Can make a squad if the need is pass catching TE.

I would not trade down. There is Good Prospects in where we are at. So stick with it.

1. William Moore S Mizzu 6'1" 230

Outstanding size with long arms...Muscular with great bulk...A great athlete...Tough and physical...A big hitter who strikes fear into the hearts of the opposition...Does a terrific job against the run...Has excellent range...Explosive with a burst to close...Decent hands and ball skills...Has shown the ability to make plays in coverage...Real versatile...Productive...Strong work ethic...A team leader and captain

2. Eric Wood C Louisville 6'4" 309 Very good size and bulk...Excellent strength...Super tough and real physical...A finisher who plays with a nasty demeanor...Light on his feet with nice footwork...Can pull and get to the second level...Quick and agile with decent athleticism...Intelligent with a first-rate football IQ...Intense and competitive...Hard worker...Has a ton of experience

3. Troy Kropog OT Tulane 6'6" 315 Good size with a large frame...Great athleticism...Very light on his feet...Quick and agile...Excellent pass protector...Smart with good awareness...Good mobility to get to the second level and pull...Moves well laterally...Natural knee bender...Technically sound...Uses his hands well...Nice balance...Outstanding work ethic...Tough...Has a fire in his belly...Lots of experience...A team leader...Still has some upside

3. Derrick Williams WR Penn St. 6'0" 194 Excellent athleticism...Has good speed and plays fast...Extremely quick...Terrific change of direction skills...Very elusive...Outstanding vision...Runs well after the catch...Solid ball skills...Tough with adequate strength...Not afraid to work the middle...Gives good effort as a blocker...Fantastic return man...Offers a lot of versatility...Very competitive...Intelligent...Mature...Solid intangibles... Still has upside

4. Ramses Barden WR Cal Poly 6'6" 227 Great height and outstanding bulk...Excellent athleticism...Real strong and physical...Good leaper with terrific ball skills...Runs with some power...Has a nose for the endzone...Decent blocker...Intelligent with solid intangibles..Extremely productive and was dominant at his level.

5. Zack Follet OLB CAL 6'1" 238 Very physical with good strength...Reliable tackler...Excellent in pursuit...Does a nice job versus the run...Can take on and shed blockers...Good pass rusher and blitzer...Has a burst to close...Very intense and competitive...A big hitter...Has a non-stop motor...Superb instincts...Hard worker...Tough and durable...Has a lot of special teams potential... Productive and really had a terrific senior campaign.

5. Kyle Moore DE USC 6'6" 270 Excellent size with terrific bulk...Has a large frame with very long arms...Decent athleticism...Pretty good strength and flashes some power...Does a nice job of shedding blocks...Holds his ground and is solid against the run... Good intangibles ...Had a nice senior campaign. Big Character guy. Dad was career Army.

6. Cedric Peerman RB Virginia 5'10" 208 Adequate size and good bulk...Very strong and tough...Runs hard and with some power...Good vision and instincts...Excels between the tackles...Can contribute as a receiver out of the backfield...Has some experience as a return man...Hard worker...Had a solid senior season.

7. Chase Coffman TE Mizzu 6'6" 245 Great hands TE. Had 90 receptions in 2008 and was near the 1k mark on yards. Lack of speed did not hinder pass catching skills. Has a knack in getting open. Very smart reciever, reads coverages and can adjust on the fly. Very good Charcter guy. Can make a squad if the need is pass catching TE.

I would not trade down. There is Good Prospects in where we are at. So stick with it.

I like Ramses Barden. The knock on him is his speed at 4.55. You know Lovie and how he preaches speed. So I don't think we will get him.

That's a terrible draft.

William Moore will be lucky to be a 3rd round pick now after a bad and injury plagued season along with a terrible Senior Bowl week. Eric Wood had a pretty bad Senior Bowl week too, and Kropog is a LT so I doubt we take another one of those with Williams waiting.

That's a terrible draft.

William Moore will be lucky to be a 3rd round pick now after a bad and injury plagued season along with a terrible Senior Bowl week. Eric Wood had a pretty bad Senior Bowl week too, and Kropog is a LT so I doubt we take another one of those with Williams waiting.

Thanks for your professional insite, I your Opinion is what counts, huh, One game does not make a player I went by seasons stats, So I would say a season makes a player not one game.

Thanks for your professional insite, I your Opinion is what counts, huh, One game does not make a player I went by seasons stats, So I would say a season makes a player not one game.

See, that's your problem. You go by stats.

If you would have watched one of Moore's games, you would have seen that he looks like just another safety out there, and blaming it on an injury and then having a terrible Senior Bowl and Senior Bowl practices doesn't help your cause.

See, that's your problem. You go by stats.

If you would have watched one of Moore's games, you would have seen that he looks like just another safety out there, and blaming it on an injury and then having a terrible Senior Bowl and Senior Bowl practices doesn't help your cause.

Yeah, I wouldn't take Moore in the first. Here's what I'm hoping for.

1) Sean Smith, CB/FS, Utah

- this is a little bit of a reach, but he looked really impressive against Julio Jones, and he projects well to free safety or cover-2 CB. If Manning moves to FS, Smith could step in at corner. If Manning stays at nickel back, Smith could potentially start at safety with some coaching from Mike Brown.

2) Hakeem Nicks, WR, UNC or Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers

- whichever of the two is available. Either could start opposite Hester. They're both tall, strong enough to beat a jam, and have good hands.

3) Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest

- a lot of draft sites have him going in the first, but all the quotes I've seen from actual scouts indicate that he'll drop to the 2nd-early 3rd on account of his height. According to Mike Mayock, he could step in at nickel immediately. He's a ballhawk and a half, but he might always struggle against tall receivers. If he's not around when the Bears pick, this spot goes to the best available CB, maybe Macho Harris.

3) Trevor Canfield, OG, Cincinnati

- possibly good enough to step in for Garza during his first season. If not, he's at least a very good developmental prospect, and should make a good starting guard before long. He's got the size, his technique is very sound, and he's mean.

4) Bernard Scott, RB, Abilene Christian

- has all the ability in the world, but had some character issues that will drop his draft stock. If he's got his head on straight, as he says he does, then he could be a great change-of-pace behind Forte. Played very well in the Texas v. Nation game, and will probably look good in the combine, as well.

5) Rulon Davis, DE, California

- hard-nosed, high-character guy who should take well to Rod Marinelli's style of coaching. Has an ideal frame for a 4-3 end. He's 25 (after three years' duty in the Marines) and has had one or two injuries, but could become a major contributor at DE.

6) Alex Boone, RT, Ohio State

- had a 4th-5th round grade before his little run-in with the law two days ago. Didn't look great this season at LT, but could easily develop into a starting RT with time.

7) Johnny Knox, WR, Abilene Christian

- developmental WR, good speed, potential special teams gunner to start out.

7) Jason Boltus, QB, Hartwick

- huge arm, good mechanics, good size and timed speed. Should be a good developmental QB. He can fit the ball into a small space, but he doesn't yet have much touch on his passes.

UDFA) Willie Williams, LB, Union College

- has character issues, really major ones compared to Scott and Boone. Still, he has ridiculous talent, and the Bears don't lose anything by gambling on him as a free agent.

UDFA) Frank Summers, FB, UNLV

- good lead blocker, excellent receiver, and has enough explosiveness and leg drive to make Ron Turner's favorite play, the FB dive, a viable option.

The above mock assumes that the Bears get two compensatory picks, a 3rd and a 7th. Also, ideally, they'd sign two major free agents: Byron Leftwich from the Steelers and Vernon Carey from the Dolphins. Leftwich is good enough to back up Orton, and I really don't want to see the Bears go after Chris Simms. Carey could not only start at right tackle, but can play LT as well, were Chris Williams to struggle badly. Either Tait or St. Clair would make a fine swing tackle behind Williams and Carey. Without those two FA pickups, I'd have rated QB and RT as greater areas of need.

Also, I'm assuming (despite what Angelo says) that the Bears will eventually bring Mike Brown back, but not as a starter. I can't imagine he'd draw a ton of interest from other teams, and he should still have some value to the Bears. If nothing else, he'd be exactly the guy to mentor a young FS like Danieal Manning or Sean Smith.

That's a terrible draft.

It's a bad mock, but not for the reasons you mentioned. Moore is a late first-mid second pick right now and will likely have to play SS in the NFL. He doesn't make sense at all at FS for the Cover 2. And his senior year isn't a good example for his stock considering he was injured all week. And he had a mediocre week. Not good enough to get his value back up to mid first, but not bad enough to drop him to round 3.

Eric Wood actually had a fairly good senior bowl, but isn't worth a 2nd rounder. In the 3rd, I wouldn't mind him. He's very versatile and a solid player.

You're right about Kropog, and he did have a bad senior bowl. He went from a potential early-mid second rounder to a 3-4 rounder.

As for the rest of the mock, there's no way Derrick Williams falls past the 2nd, Chase Coffman could go anywhere from the 2nd to 4th, him being a 7th round pick is laughable. Barden will likely be a mid 3rd rounder at the latest, and the rest is meh.

So you want 2 CB's in the first 3 rounds, and 2 guys from Abiliene Christian, a guy from Hartwick, and a guy from Union?

If you believe what Angelo's been saying, the Bears are likely to cut ties with Nate Vasher and move Manning to free safety. That would leave a huge hole in the secondary - we'd need a new starter at corner and a nickel back. I like Corey Graham, he showed some good things this season, but I'm certainly not sold enough on him to make him the starter with no competition. Sean Smith could be a very good free safety or compete with Graham for the starting corner spot, and Alphonso Smith could step in and play the nickel or rotate with Graham at corner.

Also, Bernard Scott just rushed for over 2100 yards and had over 800 receiving. He scored 34 times this season. He's worth a fourth-rounder, in my mind. The other three guys are 7th-rounders or undrafted free agents, so yeah, I'm OK with them being from small schools.

Yeah, there no chance in hell Alphonso Smith falls all the way to round 3. Maybe he'll fall into the early portion of round 2, but he's almost a lock for round 1, especially with how he dominated at the senior bowl.

I've been hearing it both ways, so I really don't know. Personally, I think he'd be a reach in the first and a total steal in the third. He's definitely great in coverage at this level, but how many successful NFL corners are under 5'9"?

If you believe what Angelo's been saying, the Bears are likely to cut ties with Nate Vasher and move Manning to free safety. That would leave a huge hole in the secondary - we'd need a new starter at corner and a nickel back. I like Corey Graham, he showed some good things this season, but I'm certainly not sold enough on him to make him the starter with no competition. Sean Smith could be a very good free safety or compete with Graham for the starting corner spot, and Alphonso Smith could step in and play the nickel or rotate with Graham at corner.

Also, Bernard Scott just rushed for over 2100 yards and had over 800 receiving. He scored 34 times this season. He's worth a fourth-rounder, in my mind. The other three guys are 7th-rounders or undrafted free agents, so yeah, I'm OK with them being from small schools.

But we don't need a RB before a DE. Plus, Scott isn't a compliment to Forte. I think Wolfe will be the speed back, Forte will be the main back, and we'll find a tough, heavy set back to be a power back. But you could find those in the 7th round, like a Herb Donaldson from Western Illinois. He's 5'11 230 and tore up his level of play.

I wouldn't mind Scott, but he'll likely be there in the 6th round. A 2 round reach on a small school RB would be a terrible move with how many holes we have on this team.

But we don't need a RB before a DE. Plus, Scott isn't a compliment to Forte. I think Wolfe will be the speed back, Forte will be the main back, and we'll find a tough, heavy set back to be a power back. But you could find those in the 7th round, like a Herb Donaldson from Western Illinois. He's 5'11 230 and tore up his level of play.

I wouldn't mind Scott, but he'll likely be there in the 6th round. A 2 round reach on a small school RB would be a terrible move with how many holes we have on this team.

I disagree about the need for a DE. Our pass rush looked worse than it was this season because opposing WRs were consistently wide open 5-7 yards from the line. If the other team's quarterback can take a three-step drop and throw to his first read every time, no D-lineman is going to get to him. I still think we need another end, since Anderson's a question mark and Ogunleye's getting old, but I'd want to make it a late-round pick unless somebody good starts falling really far. If Connor Barwin or Paul Kruger are there when we pick in the 3rd, that'll be another story.

I could see getting a short-yardage back instead of a speed guy. I picked Frank Summers on the assumption that Turner would continue to use the FB for short yardage, since I don't see him changing that any time soon. I took another speed back because I think the jury's still out on Wolfe. He lit it up in college, but he's had a miserable YPC in the NFL so far. I like him on special teams, but I'd rather there were another guy competing with him to be the #2 back. If Scott's there in the 6th, so much the better.