Ramses Barden: Cal-Poly

VenomSox

Not speaking on Ramses specifically, but I do believe what we need as much as anything is a WR w/ great route running ability, as well as quickness in and out of breaks. If that is Ramses, fine. Height is great, but route running and quickness are more key for me.

On Olsen filling that role, to me, the problem is that Olsen is all we have for that role. While I agree w/ your points, at the same time, I would say we limit Olsen too much due to our need to play him as we have had to do. Imagine if we had a better WR option and didn't have to use Olsen on the shorter routes. I think Olsen could be a legit downfield playmaker for us, particularly attack the deep seem, but so long as we have so little at WR, we will have to continue to use him short, which simply limits his effectiveness.

I would also point out we limit the potential mismatches. If we are limited to using Olsen in only shorter range, defenses less have to worry about putting faster players like DBs on him, which would otherwise create size mismatches. Defenses are more able to use bigger SS' or LBs on Olsen if we are limited in our we use him, and thus, we do not get the mismatches we might like.

While different, I would point out how years ago we had to change how we used Booker. Early on, Booker was used far more often downfield. Not saying he was ever a speed receiver, but he did attack defenses deeper downfield, using route running and quickness rather than speed. But soon after, due to lacking any other reliabel targets, we were forced to use Booker as an underneath route running damn near exclusively. While he was effective and still did well, it limited his overall effectiveness and potential.

To me, Olsen could be so much more than what he has been thus far, and a key reason for that is our lack of complimentary weapons.

I don't like Ramses that much at least in terms of what we need. I watched that collegiate competition and he seemed too methodical when he was running (i.e. no explosion or quickness). I don't know what his straight line speed will be but for me that is less of a factor if a guy doesn't have the quickness to get in/out of cuts ahead of a DB. I realize it's a lousy backyard competition and not enough to base an evaluation on but it's all I have at the moment.

Back to need. IMO we already have a similar player on our roster, one who is pretty good in Greg Olsen. When there is a need or desire to have a taller WR we can split him out (as we do). The thing is, using Olsen this way creates more mismatches among the defense that someone like Ramses might because he lines up in some many positions. I know someone is going to point out how tall the guy is and all I can remember is how so many said the same things about Leonard Pope when he came out. Pope has never materialized as a good receiving threat for the Cards and please don't say it's because of their WR. The Cards throw plenty of passes to their TEs.

If Ramses puts up good numbers at the combine in the quickness drills then I'd say he's worth a look.

Points well made... I knew Hester didn't, but wasn't 100% on Davis. I've been trying to forget about his stone hands...

I think Davis actually runs very crisp routes, and that is why he so often is able to get open. The problem w/ Davis is he just can't catch the damn ball. Hester absolutely does not run crisp routes.