Ramses Barden: Cal-Poly

VenomSox

I've been a fan of his for a while. His biggest knocks right now is straight line speed (40 will be huge for him at the combine), and inconsistent hands. I like him though, and think he could pair up with Hester, eventually at least, to make a good duo. I'd love to have either Ramses or Hakeem Nicks as our 2nd receiver.

I agree, BearSox.

So many people want DHB but IMO he's the same kind of WR as Hester- they both heavily rely on their speed. Nicks, Britt, or Robiskie are the 3 guys that I want in terms of WR's come April. All 3 are actual compliments of Hester- all are possession guys that could force some coverage into the middle of the field and at that point, Hester could beat them deep 1 on 1.

Nicks reminds me of a Boldin type (tough, good blocker, good YAC), Britt reminds me of Plaxico Burress (good middle of the field guy but he's sort of a prima donna), and Robiskie reminds me of a more consistent Roy Williams.

Barden is okay. He had trouble getting off jams at the line and his hands are solid at best. I'd probably even rather have Patrick Turner then Barden.

I agree, BearSox.

So many people want DHB but IMO he's the same kind of WR as Hester- they both heavily rely on their speed. Nicks, Britt, or Robiskie are the 3 guys that I want in terms of WR's come April.

Barden is okay. He had trouble getting off jams at the line and his hands are solid at best. I'd probably even rather have Patrick Turner then Barden.

IMHO we need a solid deep threat With speed...one can get open so my choice is Heyward -bay from Maryland and or Louis Murphy from Flordia. Both are tall speedters that can catch. This will open the field up with either one of them on one side and Hester on the other. Use them like the Colts in the 3 WR set and 4 WR set with Olsen

IMHO we need a solid deep threat With speed...one can get open so my choice is Heyward -bay from Maryland and or Louis Murphy from Flordia. Both are tall speedters that can catch. This will open the field up with either one of them on one side and Hester on the other. Use them like the Colts in the 3 WR set and 4 WR set with Olsen

Name me 2 successful Florida WR's in the history of the NFL....Exactly. They're undisciplined there and they just ask the guys to get open instead of running crisp routes. Forget Murphy- if you want a medicore WR in the 3rd round, Juaquin Iglesias from Oklahoma will be there. Hell, I'd rather have Derrick Williams from Penn State if he fell to us in the 3rd over Murphy OR Iglesias.

We already have a "solid deep threat with speed" in Hester. He isn't great or good, but he isn't bad- he's solid.

Nicks, Britt, and Robiskie can all get open, so if that's a concern of yours, these 3 guys do it.

He's from my college alma-matter...

I like him. I don't think he'd be difficult to grab later... I think well worth the project.

Anyone that watches or follows college football no anything about this guy. I do not watch at all. But I happened to catch Barden on the college football all-star challenge. Looks like a small school guy the Bears could take a chance on.

Some info

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Small%20School%...mses_barden.htm

I agree, BearSox.

So many people want DHB but IMO he's the same kind of WR as Hester- they both heavily rely on their speed. Nicks, Britt, or Robiskie are the 3 guys that I want in terms of WR's come April. All 3 are actual compliments of Hester- all are possession guys that could force some coverage into the middle of the field and at that point, Hester could beat them deep 1 on 1.

Nicks reminds me of a Boldin type (tough, good blocker, good YAC), Britt reminds me of Plaxico Burress (good middle of the field guy but he's sort of a prima donna), and Robiskie reminds me of a more consistent Roy Williams.

Couldn't agree with this more. The Bears need a reliable possession receiver, and Nicks, Britt, Iglesias or Robiskie could all be that. Hester looks like he'll be fine as a deep threat, especially given how he played toward the end of the season.

I agree, BearSox.

Robinske is a more consistent Roy Williams? Roy Williams was one of the best collegiate receivers ever and when healthy has done pretty good things in the NFL despite having shit throwing him the ball. If Robinske was that good, he'd be going top 10 and we certainly know that won't be the case.

Name me 2 successful Florida WR's in the history of the NFL....Exactly. They're undisciplined there and they just ask the guys to get open instead of running crisp routes. Forget Murphy- if you want a medicore WR in the 3rd round, Juaquin Iglesias from Oklahoma will be there. Hell, I'd rather have Derrick Williams from Penn State if he fell to us in the 3rd over Murphy OR Iglesias.

We already have a "solid deep threat with speed" in Hester. He isn't great or good, but he isn't bad- he's solid.

Nicks, Britt, and Robiskie can all get open, so if that's a concern of yours, these 3 guys do it.

Ok Flordia may not produced Jerry Rice or Moss or Ward or Fitz, but you mentioned running grisp routes, did you fail to notice on our team two of the starting WR were converted DB'S and I don't think they ran good crisp routes! But they learned. I will take a 4.3 speed 6'3 WR that can catch over your 5'10 6'0 4.5/4.6 guys any day. You can teach routes, but not height & speed Hell we taught Davis & Hester how to run uuummm shall I say crisp routes.

I've been a fan of his for a while. His biggest knocks right now is straight line speed (40 will be huge for him at the combine), and inconsistent hands. I like him though, and think he could pair up with Hester, eventually at least, to make a good duo. I'd love to have either Ramses or Hakeem Nicks as our 2nd receiver.

I mentioned on here last week about Ramses. The biggest thing that the experts are saying is that he is slow. His projected 40 is a 4.55.

Do Hester and Davis really run crisp routes? I honestly don't know...

Ok Flordia may not produced Jerry Rice or Moss or Ward or Fitz, but you mentioned running grisp routes, did you fail to notice on our team two of the starting WR were converted DB'S and I don't think they ran good crisp routes! But they learned. I will take a 4.3 speed 6'3 WR that can catch over your 5'10 6'0 4.5/4.6 guys any day. You can teach routes, but not height & speed Hell we taught Davis & Hester how to run uuummm shall I say crisp routes.

I don't like Ramses that much at least in terms of what we need. I watched that collegiate competition and he seemed too methodical when he was running (i.e. no explosion or quickness). I don't know what his straight line speed will be but for me that is less of a factor if a guy doesn't have the quickness to get in/out of cuts ahead of a DB. I realize it's a lousy backyard competition and not enough to base an evaluation on but it's all I have at the moment.

Back to need. IMO we already have a similar player on our roster, one who is pretty good in Greg Olsen. When there is a need or desire to have a taller WR we can split him out (as we do). The thing is, using Olsen this way creates more mismatches among the defense that someone like Ramses might because he lines up in some many positions. I know someone is going to point out how tall the guy is and all I can remember is how so many said the same things about Leonard Pope when he came out. Pope has never materialized as a good receiving threat for the Cards and please don't say it's because of their WR. The Cards throw plenty of passes to their TEs.

If Ramses puts up good numbers at the combine in the quickness drills then I'd say he's worth a look.

I don't like Ramses that much at least in terms of what we need. I watched that collegiate competition and he seemed too methodical when he was running (i.e. no explosion or quickness). I don't know what his straight line speed will be but for me that is less of a factor if a guy doesn't have the quickness to get in/out of cuts ahead of a DB. I realize it's a lousy backyard competition and not enough to base an evaluation on but it's all I have at the moment.

Back to need. IMO we already have a similar player on our roster, one who is pretty good in Greg Olsen. When there is a need or desire to have a taller WR we can split him out (as we do). The thing is, using Olsen this way creates more mismatches among the defense that someone like Ramses might because he lines up in some many positions. I know someone is going to point out how tall the guy is and all I can remember is how so many said the same things about Leonard Pope when he came out. Pope has never materialized as a good receiving threat for the Cards and please don't say it's because of their WR. The Cards throw plenty of passes to their TEs.

If Ramses puts up good numbers at the combine in the quickness drills then I'd say he's worth a look.

I agree. Ramses very well might wind up being a mediocre NFL player because all he really has is great size. He could be a good matchup vs. smaller corners, but right now that seems to be a role of Greg Olsen's.

Personally, I like Hakeem Nicks a lot more to match up with Hester.

BearSox:

What do you think of Britt? Me personally, I want Britt or Nicks over any WR in this draft, unless hell freezes over and Crabtree falls to us or Angelo trades up for him.

BTW- I think 40 times are overrated. It's a guy running a straight line in short and a skin tight t-shirt. They should run these with a full uniform on. It's probably like 25+ pounds on a guy including a helmet.

the 40 is overrated, but is still a very reliable tool for speed. More important tests however for judging a players agility however are like to 5-10-5 (I believe the run this at the combine), and for a burst, the 20 yard dash (I think there might even be a test for the 10 yard dash). There are also several more tests that are very important. The 40 gets the most pubs by average fans, but most scouts view it only has a part of a whole with all the other tests. If someone runs a mediocre 20 but a fast 40, that likely means that player is just fast. But if a player runs a very good 20 but a mediocre 40, that means that player isn't extremely fast, but has a good burst. Everything has to be taken into account.

As for Britt and Hicks, I like both a lot. I think Britt has the most upside of the two, but Hicks is the much safer with a good floor and can likely contribute right away. Personally, I want Hicks in round 2, if he is available there. I think he could step in right away and contribute.

No they don't, I was replying to BrianBear's comment about we need WR that do. I know that NMurphy would be better than that 5'10 guy from Penn State.

Going by ESPN, Williams is 6'0.

Plus, even if he is 5'10 or 5'11, what does that mean? Wes Welker is 5'9, Hester and Steve Smith are 5'9 or 5'10, and Eddie Royal is 5'9, and all 4 of these guys are either solid, good, or great NFL WR's.

I think Davis actually runs very crisp routes, and that is why he so often is able to get open. The problem w/ Davis is he just can't catch the damn ball. Hester absolutely does not run crisp routes.

Do Hester and Davis really run crisp routes? I honestly don't know...