Pick number 18 Rd 1 is a bit scarey

Pixote

From an article on the Sun Times, this is a bit scarey..... (maybe we should trade down :rolleyes: )

18th Pick, Rd 1, last 20 years...

2008 QB Joe Flacco, Baltimore

2007 CB Leon Hall, Cincinnati

2006 LB Bobby Carpenter, Dallas

2005 DE Erasmus James, Minnesota

2004 DE Will Smith, New Orleans, 1 Pro Bowl

2003 DE Calvin Pace, Arizona

2002 RB T.J. Duckett, Atlanta

2001 OT Jeff Backus, Detroit

2000 QB Chad Pennington, N.Y. Jets

1999 OT Matt Stinchcomb, Oakland

1998 RB Robert Edwards, New England

1997 DE Kenny Holmes, Tennessee

1996 WR Eddie Kennison, St. Louis

1995 RB Napoleon Kaufman, Oakland

1994 CB DeWayne Washington, Minnesota

1993 OT Earnest Dye, Arizona

1992 S Dana Hall, San Francisco

1991 LB Alfred Williams, Cincinnati, 1 Pro Bowl

1990 LB Tony Bennett, Green Bay

1989 C Brian Williams, N.Y. Giants

No. 18 pick by position

QB--2

RB--3

WR--1

OT--3

C--1

DE--4

LB--3

CB--2

S--1

From an article on the Sun Times, this is a bit scarey..... (maybe we should trade down :rolleyes: )

and i was getting worried with all the free agents already getting signed before free agency starts....now im rethinking the PSL offer that just got accepted!!

wait:

24- Chris Johnson 2008

31- greg olsen 2007

19-Cromartie 2006

27-Roddy White 2005

24-steven jackson 2004

2003 there were too many to choose from after the 18th pick....either way you get the picture. gotta love those writers. i will say that i am very nervous and excited to see what JA has planned!

Things i think must get done before draft:

1. sign a vet qb(Losman is who i like, but really at this point anybody)

2. sign a RT(guys have mentioned Barnes-i would be happy with that)

3. sign a S(i dont know who would be best-Dawkins would make me happy)

Agreed!

I definitely wouldn't trade up to get a WR. We wouldn't have enough ammo to get Crabtree, and I don't know any reason to think with any certainty that the other guys (Maclin, DHB) are going to be any better pros that the guys we could take at 18 (Nicks, Britt) or even 2nd round guys like Robiskie or Iglesias.

At tackle we aren't going to get up high enough to get Monroe or Jason Smith, and the other tackles all have big ? marks, like oher with ?s about dedication and strength and the other guy who didn't show up to the combine. This seems to me to be a better year to trade down than to trade up, unless you need a 3-4 OLB.

I didn't agree w/ Chile on going up for a WR...just that we would not trade up.

I definitley wouldn't have issue w/ OT or a few other spots going up. I fear WR is too risky a position to trade away picks for. If you take one fine...just don't give up much to get one...unless you have a rarity. Which I don't see right now especially with all the injury talk.

I really don't have issue this year trading down. It really depends on what's there for us...

Just generally speaking, this management will never trade up...

I definitely wouldn't trade up to get a WR. We wouldn't have enough ammo to get Crabtree, and I don't know any reason to think with any certainty that the other guys (Maclin, DHB) are going to be any better pros that the guys we could take at 18 (Nicks, Britt) or even 2nd round guys like Robiskie or Iglesias.

At tackle we aren't going to get up high enough to get Monroe or Jason Smith, and the other tackles all have big ? marks, like oher with ?s about dedication and strength and the other guy who didn't show up to the combine. This seems to me to be a better year to trade down than to trade up, unless you need a 3-4 OLB.

Anybody do the draft pick calculator? What could we get for trading down? I wouldn't be opposed to the Bears trading down to get 2 picks and use them both on a WR. Use our current 2nd rd pick for an OT and use the 2 picks we get for trading down on WR's. Surely one of the two will pan out. If we could get a later 1st in addition to a second or a third for our pick at 18 then I think we should take it and increase our chances of finding a succesful WR.

On that note Robiskie (excuse my spelling) looks more like a sure thing than anybody I have seen at the combine. If we could get him in the second or third I would be thrilled. I know he doesn't have the Heyward-Bey speed or the Kenny Britt strength, but he just seems to have that quite demeanor where he lets his play on the field speak for itself while going about his business like a pro. I also know there are several fast guys that were later round picks. Maybe Britt or Robiskie and a speed guy. Thats my wish for the draft, but then again I can wish and one hand and ...... well you know, and I guarantee the other hand fills up first :-)

Anybody do the draft pick calculator? What could we get for trading down? I wouldn't be opposed to the Bears trading down to get 2 picks and use them both on a WR. Use our current 2nd rd pick for an OT and use the 2 picks we get for trading down on WR's. Surely one of the two will pan out. If we could get a later 1st in addition to a second or a third for our pick at 18 then I think we should take it and increase our chances of finding a succesful WR.

On that note Robiskie (excuse my spelling) looks more like a sure thing than anybody I have seen at the combine. If we could get him in the second or third I would be thrilled. I know he doesn't have the Heyward-Bey speed or the Kenny Britt strength, but he just seems to have that quite demeanor where he lets his play on the field speak for itself while going about his business like a pro. I also know there are several fast guys that were later round picks. Maybe Britt or Robiskie and a speed guy. Thats my wish for the draft, but then again I can wish and one hand and ...... well you know, and I guarantee the other hand fills up first :-)

Draft Pick Value Chart

And a speed guy? I think his name is Devin Hester. He's already on the roster.

And a speed guy? I think his name is Devin Hester. He's already on the roster.

Thanks for the link Pixote.

I see your point, but yeah one of the small fast guys to replace davis in the slot. I guess right now I consider Hester our only receiver. Do we have any other receivers who you see doing a decent job of catching passes for the Bears next year? I don't. I hope that Bennet works out, but I really don't know number one if he will work out at all, and two if he does work out what type of receiver will he be. So that is why I say a small speed guy to go along with a bigger guy like Robiskie or Britt. Best case scenario we get a bigger possesion type guy with some speed to go opposite Hester, and then we get a fast guy to replace Davis in the slot. I know we have other needs, but we have absolutely got to come away from this draft with a decent young receiver.

I didn't agree w/ Chile on going up for a WR...just that we would not trade up.

I definitley wouldn't have issue w/ OT or a few other spots going up. I fear WR is too risky a position to trade away picks for. If you take one fine...just don't give up much to get one...unless you have a rarity. Which I don't see right now especially with all the injury talk.

I really don't have issue this year trading down. It really depends on what's there for us...

Just generally speaking, this management will never trade up...

Agreed MadLith. It's crazy what you have to give up to move up a few spots.

Realistically, there ought to be a damn good player available when the Bears draft. The last two drafts JA has said he declined offers to trade down, sticking with Olsen & Williams. I believe that. Those are two players the Bears really wanted. If you looked back to the 2006 draft when the Bears traded down, there really wasn't much worth standing pat for.

You guys are going to get sick of me mentioning this, but everyone would have loved for us to trade up for Vernon Davis. Hypothetically, if we'd done that there's no way we have Hester or Olsen right now.

Right now I'm more anxious to see what problems we fix via free agency. Hopefully safety, O-line & back-up QB.