Eugene Wilson article

Connorbear

I did like reading that he seemed to struggle in Tampa Bay because they were playing him at corner and nickel, and not at safety.

For years Angelo has drafted or signed defensive tackle after defensive tackle. At this point he needs to start taking this approach with the safety position. Damn near every year we draft a safety, and all we have left is Steltz & Payne. Steltz likely sucks, and Payne is a fringe starter. (I'm assuming we've learned never to start D Manning at Free safety again) Either way, I'm personally not thrilled with either Steltz or Payne starting. If one of them has to start, the other guy better be damn good.

I don't think Wilson is that "damn good" player, but I'd take him over Steltz any day. Even if we signed him, IMO we'd still need to either sign a top safety free agent (although there's not much available) or draft one in the first 3 rounds.

We should plan on finding a way to keep 5 safeties on the 53 man roster. We always need them.

Probably my 3rd choice.

Right now, I am really hoping for Jermaine Phillips to man our FS spot. If we don't get him, Gibril Wilson is probably my 2nd choice, just ahead of Eugene Wilson.

I totally agree with you assessment of talent. I think there are gems out there that arent big money splashes that can help out team. We have so many needs to satisfy that we have to pick up three players in free agency to make us better.

I totally agree with you assessment of talent. I think there are gems out there that arent big money splashes that can help out team. We have so many needs to satisfy that we have to pick up three players in free agency to make us better.

NFO, how about adding two of those three you mentioned. I would love to have Phillips, but like others have pointed out, he is more of an in the box safety. I am in favor of adding him b/c I think he is an upgrade over Payne/Steltz. I would also like to add a Wilson to man the FS spot. I like Eugene b/c I know more about him than Gibril. Payne has showed some promise, but he still has a way to go and Steltz hasn't had to much of an oppotunity to show his ability.

Phillips has always played SS, but I believe he could move to FS, especially w/ how we view the position. He has good, not great, coverage skills. He has shown to be capable of interceptions and ball tracking, and done well in coverage from the SS position. Yea, I know there is a difference, but at the same time, I think he is just the sort of FS our staff has been looking for and wanting.

I love your idea of adding two safeties. One of the Williams playing FS and Phillips at SS. But as much as I love that idea, it just is not going to happen.

In terms of G. Wilson, I have liked him for some time. I wanted to get him last year, but Oakland paid him a boatload. He was the starting FS on the SB champion NYGs, and actually did well last year w/ Oakland, but is being dumped (I believe) for cap reasons.

Check out PFW. They actually have G. Wilson a few spots ahead of Phillips (49th and 51st, respectively) while Eugene Wilson does not even crack the top 100 list of FAs.

NFO, how about adding two of those three you mentioned. I would love to have Phillips, but like others have pointed out, he is more of an in the box safety. I am in favor of adding him b/c I think he is an upgrade over Payne/Steltz. I would also like to add a Wilson to man the FS spot. I like Eugene b/c I know more about him than Gibril. Payne has showed some promise, but he still has a way to go and Steltz hasn't had to much of an oppotunity to show his ability.