Are the Bears going to land Housh? (with link)

chwtom

Buried in a piece about the Bengals possibly signing Housh is this nugget:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090226/SPT02/302260058

"The Bengals decided not to place the franchise tag on Houshmandzadeh, which would’ve been for $9.88 million. It is believed that he is looking for a deal upwards of $10 million per season.

As many as eight teams could be in the T.J. Derby starting Friday, but the favorites remain the Eagles, Giants and Bears."

This is the first i've ever heard of the Bears being linked to Housh outside of the blogosphere. He is certainly the style of WR we could use, and he could teach Earl Bennet (since Earl is of that mold as well), but 10 mil a year? ouch.

It's pricey, and I'm not a cap guy...but I think we could afford it.

Buried in a piece about the Bengals possibly signing Housh is this nugget:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090226/SPT02/302260058

"The Bengals decided not to place the franchise tag on Houshmandzadeh, which would’ve been for $9.88 million. It is believed that he is looking for a deal upwards of $10 million per season.

As many as eight teams could be in the T.J. Derby starting Friday, but the favorites remain the Eagles, Giants and Bears."

This is the first i've ever heard of the Bears being linked to Housh outside of the blogosphere. He is certainly the style of WR we could use, and he could teach Earl Bennet (since Earl is of that mold as well), but 10 mil a year? ouch.

Actually, I think it is now around $34 or $35m, as the cap is going to be about $4m higher than expected.

I would love to add Housh. While he may not play out the life of the dea (how many do) I think few FAs would offer such an instant production as him.

W/ that said, I don't see it. I think many teams will make offers, and TJ has indicated he is factoring a teams OL and offense overall, which would seem to put us down on the list. It could happen, but I don't think so if teams like Phily and NYGs make serious offers.

we got upwards towards 30 million in cap space right now...

However, I hope we don't spend a dime of it on T.J.

I really don't know who all the Bears have talked to, but with the number of available veteran receivers, they're out of their minds if they don't bring one in. Housh is not necessarily the best use of their money. But if the other, older guys are looking for similar dollars or are less available, then he ought to be on the list.

There's just no way the Bears are going to find the receiver they need for this season in the draft or on their current roster. Not with the time it takes to develop receivers.

Two sources tell FOXSports' Alex Marvez that T.J. Houshmandzadeh is making a free agent visit to Seattle on Friday

Forget him. We aren't going to spend the $ and he doesn't want to be here either. This is where WRs come to die, remember?!

Eagles | Not interested in Houshmandzadeh

Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:48:46 -0800

CSNPhilly.com reports the Philadelphia Eagles have informed free-agent WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh's (Bengals) agent, Kennard McGuire, they are not interested in Houshmandzadeh. According to sources, McGuire called the Eagles Friday, Feb. 27, and claimed his client was willing to sacrifice salary to play in Philadelphia. The team discovered that McGuire was asking more from them than he was other teams.

Eagles | Housh wants to be an Eagle?

Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:39:52 -0800

Sheil Kapadia, of the Philadelphia Daily News, reports free-agent WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh (Bengals) sent a text to ESPN950 Thursday, Feb. 26, stating, "I don't know what's gonna happen, if they want me I will be an Eagle tomorrow."

NFL | Houshmandzadeh lists four teams as likely destinations

Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:45:32 -0800

Joe Reedy, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports free-agent WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh (Bengals) listed the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants, Seattle Seahawks and Minnesota Vikings as places he would like to play during an interview on ESPN. Houshmandzadeh also said he would like to have a deal done by the end of the weekend.