Now that Housh & Washington are gone

bradjock

As per PFT, Housh signed with Seattle for 5 years, 40 million, with 15 guaranteed. Not to far off from Berrian's 6 year, 43.5 million deal with 16 guaranteed.

Nate Washington signed with Tennessee, but I haven't seen the numbers. Hopefully, he cost a lot since I'll be pissed if they got him for a "reasonable" amount.

Those two guys were considered the top two UFA available (not counting Marvin Harrison). It doesn't surprise me we went after them, since I think we really want to give Hester, Bennett, and Olsen a continued chance to develop. I include Olsen in that group, since he plays the WR spot at times, and we'll look to focus on him more and more in our offense.

That being said, don't we HAVE to bring in a veteran WR? The way we did last year with Booker & Lloyd? While I'm sure we'll draft one in the first 3 rounds (except I'm also sure we need to draft an o-lineman, safety, DE in the first 3 rounds also) we still need to add another player to the mix.

So who's it going to be? D.J. Hackett? Harrison? (I'm not a fan at this point) Do we bring Lloyd back? One of the Detroit cast-offs?

Which 'bad' WR do you want.

Were tons of bridges burned when Bobby Engram left here? Because last year, he nearly had 500 yards without Hasselbeck. The year before with Hasselbeck, he played all 16 games and had 1140+ yards. He's a veteran and can catch the ball nicely. He'll be cheap, and I wouldn't mind bringing him in.

Torry Holt would be a nice addition too, whether it's a pick-up or through a trade.

Were tons of bridges burned when Bobby Engram left here? Because last year, he nearly had 500 yards without Hasselbeck. The year before with Hasselbeck, he played all 16 games and had 1140+ yards. He's a veteran and can catch the ball nicely. He'll be cheap, and I wouldn't mind bringing him in.

Torry Holt would be a nice addition too, whether it's a pick-up or through a trade.

Maybe we can trade for Holt but they will want a 3rd or 4th for an aging WR. How about Henderson/NO.

Furry/Lions

Williams/Jags

I think I would rather take a couple in the draft and Bennet, Riedau.

Given the track record, I really don't want them to draft a WR high since the staff will not play him anyway (case in point - Bennett). I would be willing to trade a 5th round pick for Holt at this point.

Engram is a bit too long in the tooth for my liking (I would have loved having him back 3 to 4 yrs ago).

Peace :dabears

Henderson is interesting. Then again, he played in a dome with Drew Brees and didn't even catch 800 yards. Sure, they did have Colston and Moore, but Arizona had Fitzgerald and Boldin yet Breaston caught 1000+ yards...

If I'm not mistaken, if Henderson isn't signed by the Saints this year, this will be his 3rd team in 5 seasons. Why?

Given that we are obviously looking to upgrade on the cheap (and not go after someone like Deverey Henderson who I think could actually be really helpful here), here's the guys I would go after, in order:

Ronald Curry - After 7 seasons in Oakland, do we know what he can do with a competent QB? I'd be willing to find out because he's got the size and speed to do well. The downside is he doesn't have great hands, but in terms of low risk and possible high reward, I actually think he's the best option available.

David Patten - I've mentioned him before, but he's sure-handed and he plays hard. Even last year, the Bears didn't have that guy who could get open on third down. Patten may have lost a step (or two), but he can still find the soft spot in the zone and move the chains.

Darrell Jackson - He didn't do much last season in Denver (or in SF the year before that), but it's easy to forget he's only 30. He was so productive in Seattle that I'd be willing to take a flier on him. At least he's someone who has been a #1 WR before (unlike most of the rest of the available FA WRs).

Amani Toomer - He's actually been strangely productive even as he's declined physically. I don't love him, but I'm certain he could outproduce what Booker did last year.

My choice:

1- Reggie Williams WR JAX (not sure after the bone head was drunk and high driving around)

6-4 225 4.45 forty time

draft profile:

Positvies: good speed for size, excellant hands, very physical, rarely loses on jump balls. He can manhandle CB's trying to jam him at the line, great blocker,

He can be the closest thing to Larry Fitzgerald and maybe a new team will allow him to refocus his NFL career. If he is willing to straighten up, I'd be willing to offer him an incentive laden contract.

2- Michael Jenkins - never mind, I see he signed a contract extension back in Nov 25.

First, I am pretty sure Henderson has always been w/ NO. I believe they drafted him.

I want a WR upgrade as bad as any, but not Henderson, who I actually liked in the draft when he came out. But the reality is, he is a one trick pony. He has speed to burn, and can tear downfield and make big plays, but that is all he can do, and even in that, he tends to drop the ball. He has had opportunity after opportunity w/ NO, but has never been able to become more than a 3rd or 4th WR. He is one of the best deep threats, as seen w/ his 20 ypc (or something like that) but he just doesn't have any other aspects of the game developed.

Henderson is interesting. Then again, he played in a dome with Drew Brees and didn't even catch 800 yards. Sure, they did have Colston and Moore, but Arizona had Fitzgerald and Boldin yet Breaston caught 1000+ yards...

If I'm not mistaken, if Henderson isn't signed by the Saints this year, this will be his 3rd team in 5 seasons. Why?

Another one gone. Henderson resigned with NO.

First, I am pretty sure Henderson has always been w/ NO. I believe they drafted him.

I want a WR upgrade as bad as any, but not Henderson, who I actually liked in the draft when he came out. But the reality is, he is a one trick pony. He has speed to burn, and can tear downfield and make big plays, but that is all he can do, and even in that, he tends to drop the ball. He has had opportunity after opportunity w/ NO, but has never been able to become more than a 3rd or 4th WR. He is one of the best deep threats, as seen w/ his 20 ypc (or something like that) but he just doesn't have any other aspects of the game developed.

Seriously, they can have him. Henderson does nothing for me. He is a one trick pony (go route downfield). Granted, it is a nice trick, but if you do not have the OL or possession WRs in place, you will never have an opportunity to see that trick. Further, I would rather have Hester serve as our downfield threat.

Another one gone. Henderson resigned with NO.

Seriously, they can have him. Henderson does nothing for me. He is a one trick pony (go route downfield). Granted, it is a nice trick, but if you do not have the OL or possession WRs in place, you will never have an opportunity to see that trick. Further, I would rather have Hester serve as our downfield threat.

I agree, the guy I was hoping for was Coles. I had a feeling the Bears wouldn't go for the top FA WR in Howz, but I thought Coles was doable. He just signed in Cincy tho 4 year 28 mil.

Agreed - that is Hester's role. We need a possession receiver. This is a role that Bennett could fill. The most infuriating thing to me last yr was the fact that once we knew Booker and Lloyd were wasted roster space, Bennett should have been getting their reps. Now we go into next yr not knowing what he can do for us. The same can be said for Rideau. How much would we have lost if we had sat Booker and Lloyd and played them?????

No argument on Bennett, but I am just not so sure on Rideau. I would not have had a problem if we gave him a shot, but at the same time, we always seem to get high on deep depth chart WRs who were not even thought enough of to get drafted. Maybe Rideau is a hidden gem, but I think more likely he is just a guy who is on the roster only because our depth chart at WR is so pathetic.

Again, it isn't that I would have had a problem w/ him playing, but I just question whether he is such a great example. In Bennett though, we have a rookie who the staff thought enough of to draft in the 3rd round. It is really difficult to argue he should not have seen the field more than he did. And like you said, at least then we might have a shred of an idea if the Wr we need is already on the roster.

Agreed - that is Hester's role. We need a possession receiver. This is a role that Bennett could fill. The most infuriating thing to me last yr was the fact that once we knew Booker and Lloyd were wasted roster space, Bennett should have been getting their reps. Now we go into next yr not knowing what he can do for us. The same can be said for Rideau. How much would we have lost if we had sat Booker and Lloyd and played them?????