Nicks now a fatty?!

sprout

PFT is reporting that since Nicks tweeked his hamstring at the combine he has been unable to workout and has gained around 15lbs.

Besides not working out, he must be eating a bunch of twinkies as well. Otherwise, there is no way you gain that much weight in that short of time.

Same article says he has already lost some of the weight and has a workout scheduled with the Bears and Fins.

I gain 15lbs everytime I visit family in Chicago. Between the suffed pizza, italian beefs, sausages and combos, dogs, brats, canolis. Well, you get the point. 15lbs is nothing to gain, and frankly, not that big of a deal to take off either.

PFT is reporting that since Nicks tweeked his hamstring at the combine he has been unable to workout and has gained around 15lbs.

Besides not working out, he must be eating a bunch of twinkies as well. Otherwise, there is no way you gain that much weight in that short of time.

Same article says he has already lost some of the weight and has a workout scheduled with the Bears and Fins.

I gain 15lbs everytime I visit family in Chicago. Between the suffed pizza, italian beefs, sausages and combos, dogs, brats, canolis. Well, you get the point. 15lbs is nothing to gain, and frankly, not that big of a deal to take off either.

True. It's nothing to gain that much weight when you eat whatever you want. I'd just think that somebody in the middle of a process as important as the draft wouldn't let it get to that point.

Again, probably not a deal breaker, but something to consider. If the Bears really like him, it won't be a major issue. He has a chance to show them what he can do and what kind of shape he is in at the private workout.

To me, this is a legit issue if the player has a history of weight issues. For example, Mike Williams (the WR) supposedly was in a constant battle w/ weight. In this draft, the OG Johnson would be in a similar situation. If a player w/ a history of weight issues showed such an increase in weight, I think red flags would go up all over the place. On the other hand, if a player who has always been committed in the weight room and has never had an issue maintaining his weight adds some pounds after an injury, I am just not sure that is really much of an issue.

Now, I have no idea of Nicks has previously dealt w/ weight issues. I don't think so, but I am not 100% sure.

True. It's nothing to gain that much weight when you eat whatever you want. I'd just think that somebody in the middle of a process as important as the draft wouldn't let it get to that point.

Again, probably not a deal breaker, but something to consider. If the Bears really like him, it won't be a major issue. He has a chance to show them what he can do and what kind of shape he is in at the private workout.

When is our private workout with him? If it's in two weeks or more, and he's back in shape, this is no concern. Also, he hasn't had a history of weight concerns that anyone knows about.

This is from the Times' blog and was posted on March 17:

Wide receivers coach Darryl Drake is headed to North Carolina soon to put Tar Heels wide receiver Hakeem Nicks through a workout. The Bears will get a look at Nicks Tuesday at the school's pro day and college scouting director Greg Gabriel will be in attendance. Here is a video of some Nicks' highlights from school.

So whenever that is?

Personally I love Nicks. Sure, 15 pounds is a big deal but didn't he have an injury of some sort? With the intense workouts WR's go through, he'll shed that 15 in no time.

I think this could be a legitimate concern. I am a workout-aholic. if i have to miss time i don't gain weight. i lose it. I'm not some huge body building guy. I'm 5'11" 180 lbs. Now granted if he is traveling around a lot, keeping a consistant diet isn't going to be easy. But for those that know their diets well its easy to find things that won't throw your body into turmoil

To the extent people trust Mel Kiper (and I, for one, do), he answered my question about Nicks in his chat today:

Greg (St. Louis): Is Hakeem Nicks' weight gain cause for concern?

Mel Kiper: (1:22 PM ET ) For some people it may. I talked to one person in particular say that it's a red flag. Someone at UNC said he had a tweak of the hamstring and tha'ts why he hasn't been able to work out and put on some weight. He went from 212 to 226. So he put on 14 pounds from the combine. He's not a fast guy, so if you put on weight all of a sudden, you're not getting open. Hopefully he can get the weight down. I think he could be a first round pick. He could go to Minnesota, Giants, Tennessee, Baltimore.

.I'll be sick if they draft him in the first no matter the weight issue.

Going into this offseason the team had 2 major holes, OL and WR. They ignored both, basically, in free agency. Now, I can possibly understand their reason on OL. Maybe there wasn't enough "studs" out there, they didn't want to overpay for the talent they got. Maybe they thought, hey I can draft a guy that will at worst be as good as them and possible fix the position for 10 +years.

WR is a whole different story this year. On JA's own admission, the team really doesn't have a number one and 2's and 3's and so on. Well ok, well what time is better to fill that need then when players like TJ, TO, Holt, Harrison, Boldin (via trade) and a bunch of younger guys were available. (I know arguements such as age can be an argument, but this FA was full of WR talent.) It's hard to develop a WR, and will take years to find out if the player was a bust. To me, that's a wasted draft pick given what was available.

Considering the state of the line, anything but OL will make me sick in the first. Combined with Hester, they would probably earn the Bears the award for lowest IQ at the WR posish