Any news on Holt?

Chitownhustla

Last i read he was waiting on offers from the Bears and Giants and then he was going to make his decision.

This is the last thing I've seen written:

Torry Holt has not been offered a contract to his liking. He was almost traded to the Titans before he was released, but the two sides couldn’t agree on a new contract. The fact he’s 32 years old and didn’t have a typical Torry Holt season in ‘08 is one of the reasons his demands are not being met. My belief is that he will eventually end up with the Titans unless another team steps up and makes a financial commitment. Holt’s market might shrink even further after the draft since most teams are not inclined to sign veterans to big deals. Getting a new deal after the draft is possible, but it might require some luck. The time to strike — if I were his agent – is right now.

from http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...sunday-edition/

At this point, I think it possible he is holding out until after the draft. After the draft, there will be teams who are in need of a WR, but didn't get one in the draft. Take the bears simply as an example. No question we have a big need at WR, but what there is a run on WRs and we take R. Johnson in the 2nd and then a DE (like Sidbury) falls to us in the 3rd and Angelo can't pass him up. We then would be looking at a 4th round WR, which may be a nice prospect, but not likely what you want to rely on heading into the season, thus our need for a WR in FA goes up. Other teams could run into a similar situation, and thus Holt's value could go up.

It is a bit of a risk, as it is possible teams w/ WR as a high need all draft a WR early, but I think there is a pretty good chance there will be teams looking for a WR after the draft, and at this point, that may be what Holt is waiting on.

This is the last thing I've seen written:

Torry Holt has not been offered a contract to his liking. He was almost traded to the Titans before he was released, but the two sides couldn’t agree on a new contract. The fact he’s 32 years old and didn’t have a typical Torry Holt season in ‘08 is one of the reasons his demands are not being met. My belief is that he will eventually end up with the Titans unless another team steps up and makes a financial commitment. Holt’s market might shrink even further after the draft since most teams are not inclined to sign veterans to big deals. Getting a new deal after the draft is possible, but it might require some luck. The time to strike — if I were his agent – is right now.

from http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...sunday-edition/

I don't know. I think recent WR deals may have made it difficult. He may still believe his value is higher than it is, and only time to force him to accept he is simply not going to get a deal, even such as an older Wr like TJ hous received.

I wonder what type of money he is asking for?? You think he is asking for more then Pace got which i think was 3yrs 15 million?

Not sure anyone does. I think Holt will end up getting a fairly short term deal, but maybe loaded w/ incentives. Due to his age and drop in production, I simply have a hard time seeing him getting a deal similar to Hous, which I think was in the $8m/yr range.

I remember reading he was looking for 7 or 8 mil a year.....

I dont think the Bears bite at that number.

Not sure anyone does. I think Holt will end up getting a fairly short term deal, but maybe loaded w/ incentives. Due to his age and drop in production, I simply have a hard time seeing him getting a deal similar to Hous, which I think was in the $8m/yr range.

I agree. I wonder what the offers are at right now?

JAX is suppose to be negotiating a contract with him. I think we earlier heard the same with TEN. Hopefully Lovie & Pace have gotten JA & Holt to agree to a counter offer before he makes his final decision. I know there are other WRs out there much cheaper that could help out. I know we have good targets for Cutler with Forte, Olsen, Clark, & Hester. I would like to think Bennett will have a break out year. However, it sure would be nice to go into the draft with a Player like Holt under contract. I think he still has a few quality years left, especially with a QB like Cutler throwing to him.