Angelo talks draft

defiantgiant

I didn't see this posted anywhere yet: Angelo answered some questions about the upcoming draft, particularly with regards to getting a receiver. Highlights:

Could the Bears trade up?

JA: "I don't feel like we have enough ammunition to do that."

Angelo didn't rule it out as a possibility but he acknowledged it would be tough to pull off if not impossible.

Angelo says if the Bears draft a wideout in the first four rounds he believes it will be a player who will be able to step in and contribute as a rookie.

When he was asked what the difference could be between a receiver at No. 49 or No. 99.

JA: "If the receiver we like isn't there [at No. 49], it won't be a big difference."

That could mean the Bears look at a guy like Virginia's Kevin Ogletree at the end of the third round or in the fourth round, or perhaps Oklahoma's Juaquin Iglesias if he slides that far.

On Georgia wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi:

JA: "I like him very much. He's very explosive. He can do everything."

Angelo said he had his best season this past year for the Bulldogs and said drops are maybe the one knock on him. Angelo also lauded Massaquoi's character, which can be an issue for some at the position.

I didn't see this posted anywhere yet: Angelo answered some questions about the upcoming draft, particularly with regards to getting a receiver. Highlights:

Could the Bears trade up?

JA: "I don't feel like we have enough ammunition to do that."

Angelo didn't rule it out as a possibility but he acknowledged it would be tough to pull off if not impossible.

Angelo says if the Bears draft a wideout in the first four rounds he believes it will be a player who will be able to step in and contribute as a rookie.

When he was asked what the difference could be between a receiver at No. 49 or No. 99.

JA: "If the receiver we like isn't there [at No. 49], it won't be a big difference."

That could mean the Bears look at a guy like Virginia's Kevin Ogletree at the end of the third round or in the fourth round, or perhaps Oklahoma's Juaquin Iglesias if he slides that far.

On Georgia wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi:

JA: "I like him very much. He's very explosive. He can do everything."

Angelo said he had his best season this past year for the Bulldogs and said drops are maybe the one knock on him. Angelo also lauded Massaquoi's character, which can be an issue for some at the position.

I believe Mohamed Massaquoiis the WR JA was describing as "Moose-esque" on the Bears draft video part 3 on ChicagoBears.com

I believe Mohamed Massaquoiis the WR JA was describing as "Moose-esque" on the Bears draft video part 3 on ChicagoBears.com

Good point. Although he could have been talking about Robiskie.

After reading the entire transcript at Chicagosuntimes.com, what struck me is how Angelo talked about the need for having a different type of WR. A bigger player who can block (Like Moose).

Previously I'd thought we just wanted another guy who could stretch the field.

If we want the bigger blocking type, surely Robiskie or Massaquoi should be there . . . shouldn't they?

Good point. Although he could have been talking about Robiskie.

After reading the entire transcript at Chicagosuntimes.com, what struck me is how Angelo talked about the need for having a different type of WR. A bigger player who can block (Like Moose).

Previously I'd thought we just wanted another guy who could stretch the field.

If we want the bigger blocking type, surely Robiskie or Massaquoi should be there . . . shouldn't they?

Robiskie could very easily go in the bottom of the 1st. If Nicks falls because of his poor workouts/weight issues (which I think are exaggerated, but that's not to say they won't hurt his draft status) then Robiskie's right up there with Kenny Britt and DHB. He's probably the most pro-ready wideout in the entire draft, he's got zero red flags for character or injury, and he showed at the Combine that he's a lot faster than people thought he was. I think he'll be a big climber on draft day, and I'd be very surprised if he's there when Chicago picks at #49. If he is and they don't draft him, they're morons.

An interesting Angelo nugget...

Someday I've got to study the true impact of the second round versus the first, because as Chicago GM Jerry Angelo told me recently, the value of first-rounders has decreased in his eyes because you can't tell how players will change when they get a boatload of money at age 21 or 22.

I think Angelo won't come out and say it, but it sounds like he's really soured on first-round picks. Looking at his track record, I can't blame him. Some of them were stupid picks on his part (Michael Haynes should never have even been in the first-round conversation) but some of them were guys who were legitimately excellent in college, and then just completely flopped (see Grossman, Benson, Chris Williams so far.)

I think it's hard to blame him for opting out of the uncertainty of a first-round rookie in favor of Jay Cutler. All his talent aside, Cutler's also way more of a known quantity than any 1st-round pick.

Care to think about giving up our 2001 1st and a 3rd next year for Edwards?

I think Angelo won't come out and say it, but it sounds like he's really soured on first-round picks. Looking at his track record, I can't blame him. Some of them were stupid picks on his part (Michael Haynes should never have even been in the first-round conversation) but some of them were guys who were legitimately excellent in college, and then just completely flopped (see Grossman, Benson, Chris Williams so far.)

I think it's hard to blame him for opting out of the uncertainty of a first-round rookie in favor of Jay Cutler. All his talent aside, Cutler's also way more of a known quantity than any 1st-round pick.