Afalava #190

DaBearSox

Per NFL.com

Overview

Afalava for more than three seasons at strong safety for the Beavers, taking over during his true freshman season. He managed only 36 tackles in 2008 (after making 64 as a junior), but showed some ability in coverage with two interceptions and eight pass break-ups.

His reputation as a hammer in the secondary earned him honorable mention All-Pac-10 each of the past two years. Afalava's linebacker size and mentality makes him a perfect in-the-box safety and special teams contributor at the next level.

High School

Afalava was a two-star athlete by Scout.com and rated the second-best defensive back on the Islands by the recruiting service...Rivals.com two-sport athlete...first-team all-state on defense...led Kahuku to a 10-2 record and an appearance in the semifinals of the state playoffs in 2004...the team was ranked No. 14 in the West and won the Oahu Interscholastic Association...scored in a 2004 state quarterfinal game by recovering a fumble in the end zone...helped Kahuku to the state title and a 14-0 record as a junior...played in the state's Goodwill Football Classic All-Star game...made 100 tackles, including 20 for loss and nine quarterback sacks, and eight interceptions in '04...SuperPrep Magazine All-Region team member.

Guest TerraTor
Per Brad Biggs via Twitter "College scouting director Greg Gabriel on Oregon State safety Al Afalava: "We think he has the skill set to play free.""

nothin against this guy, but they all seem to think Danniel Manning has the skill set to be in the NFL too..

Guest TerraTor

Watched some hi-lites... 5'11 1/2 208lbs 4.47 -40yd

Lays wood. not bad, still wish we woulda taken Rashad Johnson instead of that scrub DE from Texas

Per NFL.com

Overview

Afalava for more than three seasons at strong safety for the Beavers, taking over during his true freshman season. He managed only 36 tackles in 2008 (after making 64 as a junior), but showed some ability in coverage with two interceptions and eight pass break-ups.

His reputation as a hammer in the secondary earned him honorable mention All-Pac-10 each of the past two years. Afalava's linebacker size and mentality makes him a perfect in-the-box safety and special teams contributor at the next level.

High School

Afalava was a two-star athlete by Scout.com and rated the second-best defensive back on the Islands by the recruiting service...Rivals.com two-sport athlete...first-team all-state on defense...led Kahuku to a 10-2 record and an appearance in the semifinals of the state playoffs in 2004...the team was ranked No. 14 in the West and won the Oahu Interscholastic Association...scored in a 2004 state quarterfinal game by recovering a fumble in the end zone...helped Kahuku to the state title and a 14-0 record as a junior...played in the state's Goodwill Football Classic All-Star game...made 100 tackles, including 20 for loss and nine quarterback sacks, and eight interceptions in '04...SuperPrep Magazine All-Region team member.

Sounds like a guy the Bears can maybe mold in to something. Classic angelo type mid-late round pick.

Yeah, Manning probably will never live up to his potential, and is a bit of a disappointment, but he showed himself last year to be a really solid nickle corner and a really good return man. Not what we were expecting from him when we originally draft him, but at least he has produced some and hasn't been a total bust.

Also, I think this makes it official that Bullocks will be our FS. I think he can flourish in the cover 2, as he was not made for man to man at all.

I like the Afalava pick. It's in the 6th, and this guy provides decent depth and some really good special teams potential.

Yeah, Manning probably will never live up to his potential, and is a bit of a disappointment, but he showed himself last year to be a really solid nickle corner and a really good return man. Not what we were expecting from him when we originally draft him, but at least he has produced some and hasn't been a total bust.

Also, I think this makes it official that Bullocks will be our FS. I think he can flourish in the cover 2, as he was not made for man to man at all.

I like the Afalava pick. It's in the 6th, and this guy provides decent depth and some really good special teams potential.

I tend to agree. I think Bullocks will be better here and turn out to be a good value pick up.

I tend to agree. I think Bullocks will be better here and turn out to be a good value pick up.

Don't forget about Bowman either....the Bears have moved him over to FS also to give him more of an opportunity to play. His performance against Minny was pretty solid and showed if he can stay healthy he can be a playmaker.

With us adding Moore, I think the pretty much secures Bowman staying at FS. Right now, we got 12 DB's with a legit shot at making the team, with us carrying 11 at the most. Lets see:

Tillman, Vasher, Graham, McBride, Moore, Manning, Payne, Bullocks, Earl, Steltz, Bowman, and Afalava. Right now, I'd say we might IRedshirt Afalava and/or Bowman to make room. Also, Earl will be on the cutting block if he doesn't show much in training camp.

With us adding Moore, I think the pretty much secures Bowman staying at FS. Right now, we got 12 DB's with a legit shot at making the team, with us carrying 11 at the most. Lets see:

Tillman, Vasher, Graham, McBride, Moore, Manning, Payne, Bullocks, Earl, Steltz, Bowman, and Afalava. Right now, I'd say we might IRedshirt Afalava and/or Bowman to make room. Also, Earl will be on the cutting block if he doesn't show much in training camp.

I think we might part ways with Steltz. I have a feeling Earl outperforms him in camp.

Although everyone talks a big game about wanting "football players" over athletes, I dont know if Steltz has the tools to play here.

Also drafting Moore puts Vasher on Red Alert IMO.

I think Vasher will be given the whole season, unless he just bombs during camp. I think we drafted Moore mainly just on value and not as a replacement, although he could be in the future.

As for Steltz, I think he's a lock to make the team based on his heart, football IQ, and special teams ability. And he's a decent backup. He's got pretty good speed for his size as well. His problem is he has stiff hips and isn't really good in coverage.

I think we might part ways with Steltz. I have a feeling Earl outperforms him in camp.

Although everyone talks a big game about wanting "football players" over athletes, I dont know if Steltz has the tools to play here.

Also drafting Moore puts Vasher on Red Alert IMO.

I actually spoke to someone who was involved in bringing Earl in and they were raving about him and how much the Bears like him. Basically put, from what this guy told me the Bears belief is that a healthy Earl is the starter and it sounds as if he's finally healthy.

I actually spoke to someone who was involved in bringing Earl in and they were raving about him and how much the Bears like him. Basically put, from what this guy told me the Bears belief is that a healthy Earl is the starter and it sounds as if he's finally healthy.

Yeah,

I think the starters will be Earl and Bullocks, with the backups being Payne and Alfalfa(sp). I think Steltz needs to beat out Alfalfa. The good thing is that there will be alot of compitition at some of the back up spots. Louis vs Davis at 3rd TE. I think Gilbert vs Dusty. The trio of WR vs Davis, Rideau, etc. Melton vs Baldwin. Freeman vs Hilly, Roach, and Williams.

Good stuff to look at during training camp.

Yeah,

I think the starters will be Earl and Bullocks, with the backups being Payne and Alfalfa(sp). I think Steltz needs to beat out Alfalfa. The good thing is that there will be alot of compitition at some of the back up spots. Louis vs Davis at 3rd TE. I think Gilbert vs Dusty. The trio of WR vs Davis, Rideau, etc. Melton vs Baldwin. Freeman vs Hilly, Roach, and Williams.

Good stuff to look at during training camp.

I'm trying to figure out why Louis would be competition for Davis when he was an OG in college which means he would be a project at the position.