Rookie Camp

Wesson44

The 25 tryout players are North Carolina cornerback James Arnold, Northwestern quarterback C.J. Bacher, Indiana defensive tackle Greg Brown, Texas Tech safety Daniel Charbonnet, Virginia wide receiver Maurice Covington, Virginia safety Byron Glaspy, Arizona cornerback Marquis Hundley, Auburn running back Brad Lester, Southern Illinois guard Aaron Lockwood, Stanford linebacker Pat Maynor, Fresno State tight end Adam McDowell, Ball State punter Chris Miller, Missouri quarterback Chase Patton, Wisconsin long-snapper Dave Peck, Mississippi State cornerback Derek Pegues, Miami (Fla.) safety Anthony Reddick, Miami (Ohio) punter Jake Richardson, Montana State guard Lou Saucedo, Purdue tackle Sean Sester, Ohio State fullback Brandon Smith, Vanderbilt wide receiver George Smith, Rutgers defensive end Peter Tverdov, Florida State quarterback Drew Weatherford, Missouri kicker Jeff Wolfert and Louisiana-Monroe tight end Kenneth Zacharie.

The 25 tryout players are North Carolina cornerback James Arnold, Northwestern quarterback C.J. Bacher, Indiana defensive tackle Greg Brown, Texas Tech safety Daniel Charbonnet, Virginia wide receiver Maurice Covington, Virginia safety Byron Glaspy, Arizona cornerback Marquis Hundley, Auburn running back Brad Lester, Southern Illinois guard Aaron Lockwood, Stanford linebacker Pat Maynor, Fresno State tight end Adam McDowell, Ball State punter Chris Miller, Missouri quarterback Chase Patton, Wisconsin long-snapper Dave Peck, Mississippi State cornerback Derek Pegues, Miami (Fla.) safety Anthony Reddick, Miami (Ohio) punter Jake Richardson, Montana State guard Lou Saucedo, Purdue tackle Sean Sester, Ohio State fullback Brandon Smith, Vanderbilt wide receiver George Smith, Rutgers defensive end Peter Tverdov, Florida State quarterback Drew Weatherford, Missouri kicker Jeff Wolfert and Louisiana-Monroe tight end Kenneth Zacharie.

Pegues was listed in several mock drafts as a FS as a player we picked in the middle rounds. Three websites had him at the 12th rated FS, one the 130th ranked player in the draft and the another at 170. Maybe he can stick as our FS.

He has serious character issues. Maybe he's been humbled, who knows but I think it's worth giving him a tryout so we can get to know him a bit better with no risk.

Plus he ran a 4.69 at the combine. Thats another reason why he fell. Hopefully that was not a common time for him or he wont be in the NFL next year.

Plus he ran a 4.69 at the combine. Thats another reason why he fell. Hopefully that was not a common time for him or he wont be in the NFL next year.

Combine times were all slow this year, for whatever reason. Probably the new surface, but every position seemed to average like a tenth slower than last year. You had guys like Maclin, who was never caught from behind a single time in college, running like a 4.49.

The big issue with Pegues isn't going to be his speed or even his character, it's his size. The Bears are looking for size at safety, since they've had problems with durability at that spot. Pegues is all of 5'10" 199 - he'd need to put on 10 pounds of muscle to even get up to Mike Brown's size, and Brown was part of the problem as far as injuries go.

Still, given the shape we're in at free safety, I'd have no problem with at least trying Pegues out (along with giving Afalava a shot at FS.) If he can step up and the Bears think he can add enough weight, we definitely need help there.

Combine times were all slow this year, for whatever reason. Probably the new surface, but every position seemed to average like a tenth slower than last year. You had guys like Maclin, who was never caught from behind a single time in college, running like a 4.49.

The big issue with Pegues isn't going to be his speed or even his character, it's his size. The Bears are looking for size at safety, since they've had problems with durability at that spot. Pegues is all of 5'10" 199 - he'd need to put on 10 pounds of muscle to even get up to Mike Brown's size, and Brown was part of the problem as far as injuries go.

Still, given the shape we're in at free safety, I'd have no problem with at least trying Pegues out (along with giving Afalava a shot at FS.) If he can step up and the Bears think he can add enough weight, we definitely need help there.

I have information listing Pegues at 5-9 194

Other knocks on him is he is a centerfielder type safety that drags down ball carriers instead of putting a solid hit on them.

I have information listing Pegues at 5-9 194

Other knocks on him is he is a centerfielder type safety that drags down ball carriers instead of putting a solid hit on them.

He was closer. Pegues measured in at 5'9-5/8" 199 at the combine.

I liked him during the season all the way until Senior Bowl week. During the season, you could always tell he had some size issues but still always looked quick to the play in CF, but he was just brutal SB week. That was when I completely sold all the stock I had in him. He looked small and played small, looked slow and played slow. Got manhandled in every 1-1 drill, and couldn't keep up with any real speed either. Even playing CF and off man coverage left a lot to be desired, with him showing poor range and no ability to close. I hope he can turn out well and overcome his size and athletic issues, but I wouldn't be putting any money on it.

I liked him during the season all the way until Senior Bowl week. During the season, you could always tell he had some size issues but still always looked quick to the play in CF, but he was just brutal SB week. That was when I completely sold all the stock I had in him. He looked small and played small, looked slow and played slow. Got manhandled in every 1-1 drill, and couldn't keep up with any real speed either. Even playing CF and off man coverage left a lot to be desired, with him showing poor range and no ability to close. I hope he can turn out well and overcome his size and athletic issues, but I wouldn't be putting any money on it.

I have to wonder if that was that because he was off the juice?

I watched him that week and if I'm not mistaken they were playing him one on one in press drills on outside routes. He was completely over matched. But our scheme can hide some players that are challenged in man coverage and the description of a centerfield type is kind of what the Bears are looking for. They have been searching for this type for years.

Locally here they were singing the praises of Northwestern's former players CJ Bascher and WR Eric Peterman ( who might have an outside chance because he is a good special teams player). Both these guys are longshots and Bascher is an ultra longshot.