Cutler to improve WR's

Rush23

http://chicitysports.com/2009/08/01/cutler-to-improve-wrs/

Article on Jay Cutler improving the WR's. What do you think of it? I think he'll improve them to a certain extent but some guys will really have to step it up.

That article was really weak. It's title suggests that Cutler would be the focus of the content in it. It makes NO mention at all of how Cutler's specific set of skills will or could make the WR's better. I've read better from our board members.

Have any of you thought of getting published?

http://chicitysports.com/2009/08/01/cutler-to-improve-wrs/

Article on Jay Cutler improving the WR's. What do you think of it? I think he'll improve them to a certain extent but some guys will really have to step it up.

Good article and I do agree the passing game requires both the QB and WR to do their part. If our WR can't get open or can't catch consistently having a QB who can get the ball there won't matter. Just as having the receivers get open but not having the QB who can read the defense and get the ball there. Both QB and WR have to do their parts correctly for it to work. Jay is a the QB who can make all the throws and will be able to get the ball there on time. The question mark is will our receivers consistently be where they should be and catch the ball.

One thing that is different this year than last year is that we do have the QB who can get the job done and make all the throws. I think that will make our WR's more motivated to do their part. If I run my routes nearly flawless all game long but either never get thrown to or when I am the ball is either uncatchable or requires drastic adjustment to make the catch. I would quickly start to loose motivation. That may be on the extreme but if you don't have confidence in your QB to get the ball to you on time then you'll be less likely give it your all. With Cutler at QB he can throw it to anyone at any time so you better be ready.

Imagine if we still had Berrian and he hadn't gotten greedy. You'd have Berrien, Hester, Bennet, Davis, Iglacious, Knox, and not to forget our TEs Olsen and Clarke.

But that's not the case we don't have him we have what we have. Berrian was basically our speed guy that role is now Hester's. So I don't really see that as a talent void not having him here. I think that there's enough talent at the WR position that they will be effective enough for us to have a good season. I do see this unit improving over time with Cutler. I don't expect it to jump out of the gate on all four cylinders but I do expect there to be steady improvement. The OTAs, various mini camps, and this training camp will be critical for establishing that repartee between Jay and his Receivers.

I agree w/ Mongo. The article sucked. Although, I definitively believe he will make them better, I would like more specifics.

Agreed, garbage.

I never saw so many one sentence paragraphs. Knox may have trouble making the roster? Give me a break. Very weak, little substance, no direction, & no logic.

Cutler became Denver's starting QB Week 13 in 2006. Before that game Brandon Marshall had caught 6 passes for 76 yards and 1 TD the entire season. The first pass he catches from Cutler? A 71 yard TD strike, and from then on they both stayed in as starters. Now you can say that Marshall helped Cutler, and I am sure he did, but Marshall was essentially a non-factor until Cutler started. It will be interesting to see what Marshall and Royal do this year.

Cutler became Denver's starting QB Week 13 in 2006. Before that game Brandon Marshall had caught 6 passes for 76 yards and 1 TD the entire season. The first pass he catches from Cutler? A 71 yard TD strike, and from then on they both stayed in as starters. Now you can say that Marshall helped Cutler, and I am sure he did, but Marshall was essentially a non-factor until Cutler started. It will be interesting to see what Marshall and Royal do this year.

Especially given Orton's weakness in throwing the long ball. Despite what homer comments the Denver coaching staff and management say. These two guys have speed to be deep threats but if your QB can't get the ball there what good is that speed. Denver's going to regret that trade. Now on the flip side Orton wasn't allowed many opportunities to go long because of issues with his long ball so we stuck with the shorter stuff. I'd be willing to bet that very little time in practice was devoted to improving his long ball. I do think that if Orton were to develop decent accuracy on the long ball he'd be a pretty decent QB. Perhaps now that he's not in a system where he's encouraged to play with shackles it may serve him well and he may yet flourish. I was passing the ball quite a bit early in his rookie year till the dreaded 5 INT game against the Bungles. Since that game he had shackles on and I don't think the staff ever truly removed them. But that won't happen over night.

I can see a guy like Marshall being more and more of an chemistry issue the kid needs to grow up as it is. Then you take away the guy who is partly responsible for his success. The future there could be ugly. I don't know enough about Royal to guess his state of mind but I can't imagine he's totally thrilled either.

Let's just check in with Josh McDaniels on whether or not Orton is struggling with the long passes:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/8/1/972...s-training-camp

On if he thought QB Kyle Orton struggled with long pass attempts

"No. When you are throwing long balls, you try to make them work and make them go. We had a couple chances there, but some days you are going to come up with them and some days you are not. I certainly would not categorize anybody as struggling with the long-ball."

Then there are the fan reactions from their second day of practice:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/228927-...ackson-emerging

There were mixed reactions about Saturday's session. One fan was complaining about Kyle Orton completing a series of five-to-ten yard passes instead of throwing the ball 30 yards downfield, and some fans were harping on the defense after a couple of good runs by Ryan Torain, Correll Buckhalter, and Peyton Hillis.

Helluva a good point. Marshall was the 119th player drafted in the 4th round in 2006.

Eddie Royal was a 2nd round rookie he caught 9 balls for 146 yards the first game he played. No rookie does that.

Either Denver has an uncanny knack for drafting WR's, or Cutler made these guys one helluva a lot better.

Let's just check in with Josh McDaniels on whether or not Orton is struggling with the long passes:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/8/1/972...s-training-camp

On if he thought QB Kyle Orton struggled with long pass attempts

"No. When you are throwing long balls, you try to make them work and make them go. We had a couple chances there, but some days you are going to come up with them and some days you are not. I certainly would not categorize anybody as struggling with the long-ball."

Then there are the fan reactions from their second day of practice:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/228927-...ackson-emerging

There were mixed reactions about Saturday's session. One fan was complaining about Kyle Orton completing a series of five-to-ten yard passes instead of throwing the ball 30 yards downfield, and some fans were harping on the defense after a couple of good runs by Ryan Torain, Correll Buckhalter, and Peyton Hillis.

Bottom line Denver will suck this year LOL!!!

Helluva a good point. Marshall was the 119th player drafted in the 4th round in 2006.

Eddie Royal was a 2nd round rookie he caught 9 balls for 146 yards the first game he played. No rookie does that.

Either Denver has an uncanny knack for drafting WR's, or Cutler made these guys one helluva a lot better.

I think of Brees and someone like Colston. He is a good receiver, but becomes even better when he has a great QB like Brees. I think Cutler is that type of QB. He can get away with some things others cannot.

From watching Denver's training camp videos, it doesn't seem like they are too thrilled with the passing game. I saw more footage about the defense and the running game.

I think of Brees and someone like Colston. He is a good receiver, but becomes even better when he has a great QB like Brees. I think Cutler is that type of QB. He can get away with some things others cannot.

From watching Denver's training camp videos, it doesn't seem like they are too thrilled with the passing game. I saw more footage about the defense and the running game.

Let me ask you this were you just too thrilled with our passing game last year with Orton? I rest my case.