Rashied to make the team

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Which player do you think helped himself the most in Saturday night's win over the Giants?

Warren H.

Rockford, Illinois

In terms of a player on the roster bubble, Devin Aromashodu's diving 38-yard reception certainly should give him a boost. The Bears likely will only keep five or six receivers, and it appears that Devin Hester, Earl Bennett and Rashied Davis are locks. If that's the case, then Aromashodu would be battling with Brandon Rideau and rookies Juaquin Iglesias and Johnny Knox for two or three positions. You also have to keep in mind that the Bears aren't necessarily going to keep the five or six best wide receivers. They'll keep the best three receivers and then the top two or three special-teams players at the position because the fourth and fifth receivers play primarily on the coverage and return units while rarely if ever getting reps on offense.

per Larry Mayer

per Larry Mayer

I think you and Larry are smoking from the same stash. I've seen nothing from him on the field that justifies this. And if they dis Cutler by cutting one of his "guys" to keep someone who didn't earn it on the field, he'll be pissed off.

I'm all for keeping Davis if he makes the squad. But he's got a lot of proving to do after last season.

What was one of the biggest problems for Bears WR last year? They couldn't get off the LOS under press coverage. Davis was a big part of that problem. What was the other big issue for our WR....drops. Rashied Davis was big part of that too. At some point you have to come to the conclusion he's a guy who could contribute but just is never going to be more than what you have already seen. He also seems to be a better practice player than game player. I can't believe Iglesias, Knox, or Aromashodu can't replace this:

2008 SEASON: Started a career-high 12 games and appeared in all 16 games for the third straight season... Posted career highs in receiving yards (455) and receptions (35), while matching a career high with 2 TD catches...

If the Bears keep 6 WR then Davis can stick around, if they keep 5 then let him go.

Yeah Davis really needs to improve if he makes the team..

Disagree. Rashied is the most experienced WR and an established special teamer. He was consistently the only reciever we had last year that could beat press coverage. He had his drops and if he doesn't get a handle on it, his career will be over next year. I personally think the Cutler ball is giving the WR's less time to think, about getting hit or dropping the ball. This year we need all the experience we can get. He has the opportunity to be a big plus for us.

Davis is our most experienced receiver, and I agree he is likely to make the roster, but I disagree that is the way it should be.

Last year, we had experience in Booker, and I think most would agree experience didn't equal quality.

If Davis earns a job, fine, but he should not simply get the job due to having more experience. And lets be honest. From all camp reports, our Arom and Rideau have done better than Davis in camp, and Iglesias/Knox are likely (and should) get the nod in their rookie years.

Again, if Davis earns a job, fine. But I just disagree w/ the idea he is handed a roster spot simply due to having more experience.

Disagree. Rashied is the most experienced WR and an established special teamer. He was consistently the only reciever we had last year that could beat press coverage. He had his drops and if he doesn't get a handle on it, his career will be over next year. I personally think the Cutler ball is giving the WR's less time to think, about getting hit or dropping the ball. This year we need all the experience we can get. He has the opportunity to be a big plus for us.

I think you and Larry are smoking from the same stash. I've seen nothing from him on the field that justifies this. And if they dis Cutler by cutting one of his "guys" to keep someone who didn't earn it on the field, he'll be pissed off.

I'm all for keeping Davis if he makes the squad. But he's got a lot of proving to do after last season.

Cutler doesn't throw to Davis and he likes Ash and Riddeau so those two should make the team. Than you have Knox and Iglesias who you need to protect as Igl was a higher draft pick and Knox really opened up eyes at camp and is a potential return-man as well.

That means Davis is the odd-man out.

Davis is our most experienced receiver, and I agree he is likely to make the roster, but I disagree that is the way it should be.

Last year, we had experience in Booker, and I think most would agree experience didn't equal quality.

If Davis earns a job, fine, but he should not simply get the job due to having more experience. And lets be honest. From all camp reports, our Arom and Rideau have done better than Davis in camp, and Iglesias/Knox are likely (and should) get the nod in their rookie years.

Again, if Davis earns a job, fine. But I just disagree w/ the idea he is handed a roster spot simply due to having more experience.

I hate how often we're agreeing these days. I think getting Cutler has softened your hard ass up a bit and you're actually human now.

I couldn't agree more, experience can either be good or bad. Our experiences with Davis are BAD. I don't give a shit if the guy has 50 years of NFL experience. And in this case, I think it may work against him that two very inexperienced guys (rookies) are holding their own in camp. I see Jerry as more likely to have a vested interest in them and since Cutler prefers them, Lovie will fold like a tent. The special teams needs can't be overlooked and Davis may still have a great showing in one of the remaining games, thereby earning a spot... But he hasn't done so yet. And anyone who thinks he has, including Larry Mayer, is high.

I hate how often we're agreeing these days. I think getting Cutler has softened your hard ass up a bit and you're actually human now.

Trust me. The more you and I agree, the more I have to question my position.

I couldn't agree more, experience can either be good or bad. Our experiences with Davis are BAD. I don't give a shit if the guy has 50 years of NFL experience. And in this case, I think it may work against him that two very inexperienced guys (rookies) are holding their own in camp. I see Jerry as more likely to have a vested interest in them and since Cutler prefers them, Lovie will fold like a tent. The special teams needs can't be overlooked and Davis may still have a great showing in one of the remaining games, thereby earning a spot... But he hasn't done so yet. And anyone who thinks he has, including Larry Mayer, is high.

Honestly, I don't think Larry Mayer, or most anyone, believes Davis has done anything to earn a spot. I think it is simply the believe that Lovie will not cut him. I might point to AP as another example. You would barely know he was in camp for the lack of talk. I am not sure I have read about his doing a positive thing in camp. In the preseason games, what has he done? 3.1 ypc against NY's 4th string is not very impressive. Also similar to Davis, AP was once our special teams stud, but last year stunk on teams and hasn't exactly been impressive this year so far either.

But like Davis, there is a perception that they (a) add experience to a young position, (B) add health as they have rarely been hurt while others at the position have and (B) are Lovie's guys. Remember, "As long as I am w/ this team, Adrian has a place on it". While I am not sure I recall Lovie saying that same about Davis, i think there is the perception he has that same attitude w/ him.

Cutler doesn't throw to Davis...

I think this is the whole issue right here. If the coaching staff is watching the same offense we are, they'll see that Cutler has a better rapport going with Aromashodu and Rideau than he does with Davis. I haven't seen him throw to Davis once, nor have I read about it. I really hope the depth chart ends up Hester, Bennett, Rideau, Knox, Aromashodu, Iglesias.

I do agree that special teams value is important for backup WRs, but this team has proven that they can replace ST guys. We have one of the best special teams coaches in the NFL - I'm sure he can do something with Knox or Iglesias.

EDIT: Also, as far as the Adrian Peterson stuff, I have to pipe up. He's not bad at all for a third-string running back. How many teams have a third-string back that you'd rather have? I can think of four: the Cowboys, Raiders, Giants, and Jets. Most teams in the league, their third-string back is just a guy. Look at the Bills and Vikings: they each have two very talented backs. Their third-string backs? Just some guy. That's how I feel about AP. He's not necessarily anything special, but he's not terrible either. He's just a guy, and for the #3 back, that's fine.

I may just be biased because the alternative is Garrett Wolfe, and Garrett Wolfe sucks. The goal-line fumble for a touchback just reinforced what I've been saying about him from the beginning: he's not an NFL running back. He's too small, too easy to bring down, and that little juke move that made him a monster at NIU isn't working on anybody in the pros. Keeping Wolfe as the #3 RB just for the occasional fake punt or whatever would be a huge waste of a roster spot. At least with AP, you get a guy who's proven he can contribute, even if it's a kinda mediocre contribution.

I think this is the whole issue right here. If the coaching staff is watching the same offense we are, they'll see that Cutler has a better rapport going with Aromashodu and Rideau than he does with Davis. I haven't seen him throw to Davis once, nor have I read about it. I really hope the depth chart ends up Hester, Bennett, Rideau, Knox, Aromashodu, Iglesias.

I do agree that special teams value is important for backup WRs, but this team has proven that they can replace ST guys. We have one of the best special teams coaches in the NFL - I'm sure he can do something with Knox or Iglesias.

EDIT: Also, as far as the Adrian Peterson stuff, I have to pipe up. He's not bad at all for a third-string running back. How many teams have a third-string back that you'd rather have? I can think of four: the Cowboys, Raiders, Giants, and Jets. Most teams in the league, their third-string back is just a guy. Look at the Bills and Vikings: they each have two very talented backs. Their third-string backs? Just some guy. That's how I feel about AP. He's not necessarily anything special, but he's not terrible either. He's just a guy, and for the #3 back, that's fine.

I may just be biased because the alternative is Garrett Wolfe, and Garrett Wolfe sucks. The goal-line fumble for a touchback just reinforced what I've been saying about him from the beginning: he's not an NFL running back. He's too small, too easy to bring down, and that little juke move that made him a monster at NIU isn't working on anybody in the pros. Keeping Wolfe as the #3 RB just for the occasional fake punt or whatever would be a huge waste of a roster spot. At least with AP, you get a guy who's proven he can contribute, even if it's a kinda mediocre contribution.

DFG let me qualify this by saying that I argue with my 22yr old son regularly that Wolfe isn't an every down back but, neither is AP and also Wolfe has contributed more on special teams last year than AP did. He led the team in special teams tackles and scored 2 TDs on special teams.If the choice is between Wolfe and AP I think the Bears may go with the cheaper option in Wolfe. Also I can remember when AP got his chance to show that he was an NFL back and Brock Forsey wound up rushing for 134 yards because AP got hurt when he became a featured back. If the work load for Forte and Jones is what I think its going to be neither of these two guys is going to matter. So in this age of salary cap management who do you think is going to be a better option? I also think that some of the so called money the Bears have under the cap will be devoted to Forte getting an extension.