Has there been a Jarron Gilbert Sighting?

Pixote

Guest TerraTor
Has there been a Jarron Gilbert Sighting? I have not heard much of this guy and do not recall seeing him in any significant fashion during the first 2 games.

He must be really unimpressive during practice cuz u think with his size hed be in often with the DT/DE rotation...

Hard to be seen when you are not even active on game day. Gilbert, along w/ Iglesias, have been on the inactive list on game day. A bit surprising that our top two picks have been inactive while some mid 2nd day picks (Afalava/Knox) have been looking so great.

I think Gilbert has a ton of raw talent, but may simply be behind in terms of learning and development. Further, I question where we envision him for the future. I honestly think we are working to develop him this year to take over for Wale next. While I think he could be great inside, I think we may be looking at him outside, and I also read him say that is where he feels the most comfortable and prefers as well.

I think Gilbert may be a player we see later in the year, but may not see much until next.

I have kind of wondered the same thing. With as much as we rotate our guys around you would have thought we would have seen him by now.

I just hope he doesn't get the somewhat usual treatment of guys we wait to see and never see the field for whatever reason the staff refuses to say.

Hard to be seen when you are not even active on game day. Gilbert, along w/ Iglesias, have been on the inactive list on game day. A bit surprising that our top two picks have been inactive while some mid 2nd day picks (Afalava/Knox) have been looking so great.

I think Gilbert has a ton of raw talent, but may simply be behind in terms of learning and development. Further, I question where we envision him for the future. I honestly think we are working to develop him this year to take over for Wale next. While I think he could be great inside, I think we may be looking at him outside, and I also read him say that is where he feels the most comfortable and prefers as well.

I think Gilbert may be a player we see later in the year, but may not see much until next.

Coming out of the draft Iwas not as high o0n him as others but he is a Bear now so I have to put him in the hope chest. WTBS it follows the recent patterrn for Bears early draft picks of being redshirts. Daniel Manning and Devin Hester are the last two to break through this pattern

I'll be honest. While I agree we have played the red shirt game, which I frankly love, I don't really get the belief we hold back rookies. In fact, I would argue quite the opposite.

Afalava - He was a 6th round pick that didn't even start on time due to graduation, but was given an opportunity and ran with it, earning a starting job on the defense.

Knox - He was always in the plans for special teams, but was also given an opportunity to play on offense, and made the most of it. W/ Aromashadu hurt in game one, the staff could have simply inserted Davis into the slot, but gave the rookie an opportunity.

Thats it for this year, but I not due to a lack of opportunity. Per all reports, Iglesias, Gilbert and DJ Moore simply didn't stand out in camp.

Chris Williams was essentially handed the starting LT job, but was lost due to injury.

Forte was a big part of the plans from day one, and his not being handed the starting job was more of a technicality than reality.

Bennett was simply handled poorly, and yes, an argument could be made here. The staff has said they made a mistake giving him to much, and talked about it in how they would work w/ Knox differently.

Harrison was immediately considered part of the rotation at DT.

Steltz and Bowman each saw the field as rookies, and Kellen Davis was part of the mix, but simply didn't do well as a blocker, which is what they were looking for out of him at the time.

Olsen didn't do as much as a rookie as many expected, wanted, but also had a very solid veteran in place. This is not like holding back a rookie because he is a rookie. Simply put, Olsen was not yet able to beat out the veteran.

Payne and McBride each played and even started as rookies.

Graham was expected to play, but went down w/ injury.

Others simply weren't good enough.

Wolfe is another here some argue didn't get an opportunity. I personally have always argued he was drafted more for special teams than as a RB though.

DM, Hester and Mark Anderson all played significant roles their rookie seasons.

Dusty was part of the mix, but began a string of season ending injuries.

Benson wasn't handed the job, and some may try to make a case for the coaches holding him back, but it isn't like he was stuck behind James Allen or Adrian Peterson. Thomas Jones was damn good that year.

Orton and Harris each started as rookies. Bradley went down w/ injury, but was on the field as a rookie.

Harris, Tank, Berrian and Vasher all either started or played significant time as rookies. Even Krenzel started, though due to injury.

Prior to 2004 was pre-Lovie, and not really part of this discussion IMHO, though there are still plenty of examples of rookies playing significant roles. IMHO, two things have created this misconception that Lovie doesn't give rookies a chance.

One. Lovie makes rookies earn their spot. But is this so unusual? I would much rather a coach practice this than simply hand a rookie a job w/o first earning it. IMHO, rookies are given an opportunity. From there, it is up to the rookie to make the most of it. I think Lovie's history has shown that if a rookie does show enough, he will play, and even start.

Two. There have been a couple isolated situations where fans have latched onto. Bradley is a prime example of a player who many fans felt was held back, but IMHO, that had nothing to do w/ rookie status. Wolfe is another some fans felt was held back, but I think again, it was for different reasons.

There may be a player here or there and argument can be made for, but when you look at the big picture, I just don't see a valid argument to say our staff doesn't give rookies an opportunity, or that they are held back. The number of rookies, and in particular the number of 2nd day pick rookies, who not only play but also start, would seem to blow out of the water the incorrect belief that Lovie doesn't like or holds back rookies.

Coming out of the draft Iwas not as high o0n him as others but he is a Bear now so I have to put him in the hope chest. WTBS it follows the recent patterrn for Bears early draft picks of being redshirts. Daniel Manning and Devin Hester are the last two to break through this pattern

I'll be honest. While I agree we have played the red shirt game, which I frankly love, I don't really get the belief we hold back rookies. In fact, I would argue quite the opposite.

Afalava - He was a 6th round pick that didn't even start on time due to graduation, but was given an opportunity and ran with it, earning a starting job on the defense.

Knox - He was always in the plans for special teams, but was also given an opportunity to play on offense, and made the most of it. W/ Aromashadu hurt in game one, the staff could have simply inserted Davis into the slot, but gave the rookie an opportunity.

Thats it for this year, but I not due to a lack of opportunity. Per all reports, Iglesias, Gilbert and DJ Moore simply didn't stand out in camp.

Chris Williams was essentially handed the starting LT job, but was lost due to injury.

Forte was a big part of the plans from day one, and his not being handed the starting job was more of a technicality than reality.

Bennett was simply handled poorly, and yes, an argument could be made here. The staff has said they made a mistake giving him to much, and talked about it in how they would work w/ Knox differently.

Harrison was immediately considered part of the rotation at DT.

Steltz and Bowman each saw the field as rookies, and Kellen Davis was part of the mix, but simply didn't do well as a blocker, which is what they were looking for out of him at the time.

Olsen didn't do as much as a rookie as many expected, wanted, but also had a very solid veteran in place. This is not like holding back a rookie because he is a rookie. Simply put, Olsen was not yet able to beat out the veteran.

Payne and McBride each played and even started as rookies.

Graham was expected to play, but went down w/ injury.

Others simply weren't good enough.

Wolfe is another here some argue didn't get an opportunity. I personally have always argued he was drafted more for special teams than as a RB though.

DM, Hester and Mark Anderson all played significant roles their rookie seasons.

Dusty was part of the mix, but began a string of season ending injuries.

Benson wasn't handed the job, and some may try to make a case for the coaches holding him back, but it isn't like he was stuck behind James Allen or Adrian Peterson. Thomas Jones was damn good that year.

Orton and Harris each started as rookies. Bradley went down w/ injury, but was on the field as a rookie.

Harris, Tank, Berrian and Vasher all either started or played significant time as rookies. Even Krenzel started, though due to injury.

Prior to 2004 was pre-Lovie, and not really part of this discussion IMHO, though there are still plenty of examples of rookies playing significant roles. IMHO, two things have created this misconception that Lovie doesn't give rookies a chance.

One. Lovie makes rookies earn their spot. But is this so unusual? I would much rather a coach practice this than simply hand a rookie a job w/o first earning it. IMHO, rookies are given an opportunity. From there, it is up to the rookie to make the most of it. I think Lovie's history has shown that if a rookie does show enough, he will play, and even start.

Two. There have been a couple isolated situations where fans have latched onto. Bradley is a prime example of a player who many fans felt was held back, but IMHO, that had nothing to do w/ rookie status. Wolfe is another some fans felt was held back, but I think again, it was for different reasons.

There may be a player here or there and argument can be made for, but when you look at the big picture, I just don't see a valid argument to say our staff doesn't give rookies an opportunity, or that they are held back. The number of rookies, and in particular the number of 2nd day pick rookies, who not only play but also start, would seem to blow out of the water the incorrect belief that Lovie doesn't like or holds back rookies.

NFO you know if I had to through anyone under the bus its gpoing to be Ron Turner because of his connection with Wannie and if we go back to his first tenure hear remember a guy named Curtis Conway and a guy named Marcus Robinson both struggled under his offense early on and Robinson didn't emerge nor did Conway until Crowton and Jauron came on board.

C'mon guys! You're taking away my venom for Smith's odd antics! ;)

Don't hold back on Lovie beacuse his penchant for not saying anything when he is asked a question has grown old to all of us but as long as he keeps giving his OC a blank check he is going to have to live and die with what they do on offense. He has really embarrassed himself when he hast stated time and time again that "We are a running team and we will get off the bus running".

If anyone wants to go after Lovie it should start here and keep an eye on his defense because he is calling the plays. He is wearing a bullseye on his back for sure now and the injuries will no longer hold up in my eyes. The only thing he has in his favor is that the Bears have never fired a coach with money owed to him. Its put up or shut up for Lovie.

Believe you me, I won't when I feel it's necessary! I'm watching him and his staff with a microscope!

Don't hold back on Lovie beacuse his penchant for not saying anything when he is asked a question has grown old to all of us but as long as he keeps giving his OC a blank check he is going to have to live and die with what they do on offense. He has really embarrassed himself when he hast stated time and time again that "We are a running team and we will get off the bus running".

If anyone wants to go after Lovie it should start here and keep an eye on his defense because he is calling the plays. He is wearing a bullseye on his back for sure now and the injuries will no longer hold up in my eyes. The only thing he has in his favor is that the Bears have never fired a coach with money owed to him. Its put up or shut up for Lovie.

First, in reply to another post of yours, I hate to be in a position to be defending Lovie. I am NOT a Lovie supporter. I think our team could be better w/o him, and often feel we win inspite of him. I hate his scheme, and as you said, his press conferences drive me nuts.

Second, w/ that said, and specifically looking at how we treat rookies, I simply believe we give rookies a greater opportunity than many other teams.

You mention Conway and MRob, but I really don't understand your point. Are you arguing they were held back due to being rookies or youth, or are you simply saying they were limited by an offense or OC (Turner).

On MRob, I don't see either. He wasn't much when he came here as a rookie, and was immediately sent to NFL Europe. He showed something there, and was brought in, and did quite well (w/ Cade McNown no less). But IMHO, his demise had little to do w/ the OC. MRob had two things that prevented him from taking another step. One, injuries. He just could not stay healthy. Two, fear. He was a hell of a downfield threat, but was flat out afraid to go over the middle or run pretty much any route other than a go route.

Honestly, not even sure what the argument is w/ Conway. He played as a rookie, but needed to develop. If you remember, back then, it was really rare for a young WR to do much of anything. It was then that most WR took 3 years to develop, and Conway did just that. 230 yards as a rookie. About 550 the next year, and over 1,000 by year three. Conway's path was very much like most young WRs.

Back to the original point. I hear it all the time and just do not get it. I don't see how it can be argued Lovie, or the bears staff, doesn't like rookies or holds them back. IMHO, when a rookie doesn't get to play, it most often is because he has not earned the playing time.

NFO you know if I had to through anyone under the bus its gpoing to be Ron Turner because of his connection with Wannie and if we go back to his first tenure hear remember a guy named Curtis Conway and a guy named Marcus Robinson both struggled under his offense early on and Robinson didn't emerge nor did Conway until Crowton and Jauron came on board.

First, in reply to another post of yours, I hate to be in a position to be defending Lovie. I am NOT a Lovie supporter. I think our team could be better w/o him, and often feel we win inspite of him. I hate his scheme, and as you said, his press conferences drive me nuts.

Second, w/ that said, and specifically looking at how we treat rookies, I simply believe we give rookies a greater opportunity than many other teams.

You mention Conway and MRob, but I really don't understand your point. Are you arguing they were held back due to being rookies or youth, or are you simply saying they were limited by an offense or OC (Turner).

On MRob, I don't see either. He wasn't much when he came here as a rookie, and was immediately sent to NFL Europe. He showed something there, and was brought in, and did quite well (w/ Cade McNown no less). But IMHO, his demise had little to do w/ the OC. MRob had two things that prevented him from taking another step. One, injuries. He just could not stay healthy. Two, fear. He was a hell of a downfield threat, but was flat out afraid to go over the middle or run pretty much any route other than a go route.

Honestly, not even sure what the argument is w/ Conway. He played as a rookie, but needed to develop. If you remember, back then, it was really rare for a young WR to do much of anything. It was then that most WR took 3 years to develop, and Conway did just that. 230 yards as a rookie. About 550 the next year, and over 1,000 by year three. Conway's path was very much like most young WRs.

Back to the original point. I hear it all the time and just do not get it. I don't see how it can be argued Lovie, or the bears staff, doesn't like rookies or holds them back. IMHO, when a rookie doesn't get to play, it most often is because he has not earned the playing time.

You seem to be reading something in my post that I'm not trying to say. Since Lovie has been here defensive rookies have seen the field quicker than offensive rookies.T. Harris, T Johnson ,C Harris,Payne, Mc Bride, Stelz,Bowman,Manning, Anderson and now Alfalava have all seen the field as rookies. Offensive rookies OTOH have struggled to see the field whether it was Benson,Bradley ,Metcalf, Beekman,Bennett and now Iglesias it seems that this offfensive schem has not been made simple enough for players to come in and see the field quickly.This year Knox and last year Forte were the exceptions with this offensive staff.Nfo when a guy with a highly regarded Vanderbilt education can't see the field his first year and then in the next year when the team acquires his former college QB and he becomes the starter it puzzles the heck out of me.

I'll admit that I had to tip my hat to Lovie during last game. He finally made adjustments! He didn't even wait until halftime or the next game to do it.

Pittsburgh scored very easily the opening drive and was almost about to do the same in the second drive. We made adjustments brought the pressure and began to shut them down.

I think it was one of his finest. I have to give it to him.