Remembering Payton

bowlingtwig

I remember Payton returning kickoffs in his rookie season and leading the league in that statistic.My favorite memory was on an NFL Today interview with one of Payton's first O-lines when they all said in unison "We must block for Walter.We have to block for Walter and We will block for Walter."This interview was conducted by Brent Musburger when he was the host of the NFL Today on CBS. The group was Jeff Sevy,Revie Sorey,Noah Jackson,Dan Pieffer and Bob Newton(I'm not sure on this guy).

I remember Payton returning kickoffs in his rookie season and leading the league in that statistic.My favorite memory was on an NFL Today interview with one of Payton's first O-lines when they all said in unison "We must block for Walter.We have to block for Walter and We will block for Walter."This interview was conducted by Brent Musburger when he was the host of the NFL Today on CBS. The group was Jeff Sevy,Revie Sorey,Noah Jackson,Dan Pieffer and Bob Newton(I'm not sure on this guy).

I remember his beautiful long stride when he burst into the endzone after a long run. He seldom ran out of bounds to avoid a tackle and most often would seek out a defender to met out his own punishment at the end of a run. And I remember his dejection in that last game, against the Redskins, I believe, fourth down and he didn't get those few yards to keep the playoff run alive.

Sadly I remember where I was when I heard he had cancer. I was in a class at UIC, for some reason we were in a computer lab. Thats how I found out. 99% of the time I am optomistic about scenarios like this but this time I knew right away he was going to die. It was hard to take.

I was a freshman in college when he broke the rushing record. My heart had been shattered by the monumental Cub playoff collapse.

I remember I was driving down I-90 when I heard he had passed away. Virginia McCaskey gave a press conference. I had to pull off the road as I was crying like a baby.

Peace :dabears

I was a freshman in college when he broke the rushing record. My heart had been shattered by the monumental Cub playoff collapse.

I remember I was driving down I-90 when I heard he had passed away. Virginia McCaskey gave a press conference. I had to pull off the road as I was crying like a baby.

Peace :dabears

Test

So many memories,but his last game,(Washington)where they did not give him the ball much,then at the very end he got a couple of calls and tried so hard. I was dissapointed on the few plays he got.I'm back on this board after 2 years.

I remembered Walter Payton as the toughest kind of running back, who never went out of bounds and gave defenders mucho pain, ie straight arm style, before going down. He never complained, always provided a professional image, and never behaved in a vulgar or inappropriate way. He always appeared to give his best. One of a kind, a very special man and football player.