Turner will be the sacrificial lamb

JRCook79

Three years ago it was Rivera. Last year it was Big Bad Bob Babich. This year it's going to be Turner out on his ace, which he almost certainly deserves. Anyone who tries "up the gut" so many times just to prove a point deserves to be out. These games are for real, not a flippin joke. But in all sincerity it should be the whole crew, especially Lovie. I'm sorry, but there ain't no way this crew of jalopies is ever going to get anywhere close back to a Super Bowl. A couple more years of this, and Cutler can kiss any dreams he had of being a real "franchise" QB good bye, whatever "franchise" means.

Three years ago it was Rivera. Last year it was Big Bad Bob Babich. This year it's going to be Turner out on his ace, which he almost certainly deserves. Anyone who tries "up the gut" so many times just to prove a point deserves to be out. These games are for real, not a flippin joke. But in all sincerity it should be the whole crew, especially Lovie. I'm sorry, but there ain't no way this crew of jalopies is ever going to get anywhere close back to a Super Bowl. A couple more years of this, and Cutler can kiss any dreams he had of being a real "franchise" QB good bye, whatever "franchise" means.

I don't have a problem with the running up the middle except for that we do not have a FB that can lead block nor an OL that can control the LOS. You would think that with all the film sessions that Turner would have learned this by now. Yes, Turner has to be accountable for not knowing his personell's weakness and getting creative to solve these issues and I not talking about the attempted wildcat. Also, if he had a say who makes the team than that is another area he needs to be accountable for. We had Polite here for plenty of time to evakuate him to know that he wass better than Mckie and Polite was cut. Since we are on the FB tangent I am still ticked that they did not draft PEyton Hillis two years ago when the Broncos got him in the 7th rd. He would be a stud lead blocking for Forte.

if they fire turner alone they seriously need to have someone in mind that is better before they do it. just promoting someone already in the fold would be a worse mistake than keeping him (john shoop comes to mind as this type of stupidity). as bad as our offense needs 'quality' players they also need someone who can coach them to become better players. even with our current draft status we should be able to find some good interior linemen. what we need is someone who can get them up to speed as soon as possible to fill out our offensive line and the only way for that to happen is through drafting and good coaching.

my 7% solution... if we have a poor season/post-season and angelo is smart (don't count on it) what he does is offers a shared head coaching spot to shannahan, for a LARGE amount of cash, to run this mess similarly to the ditka - b. ryan era pre-superbowl. if lovie doesn't like it oh well, there is always the unemployment line.

we get a proven offensive minded coach who is familiar with our main player on offense who has the possibility to turn our offense around within 2 years. if lovie and our defense continue to fail, lovies replacement is under contract.

angelo had better start thinking about covering his arse or he will be looking for work himself (in my opinion he is more than half our problems and deserves to be fired) within a year or 2.

I am not going to defend Turner at this point. I do think the problems go way beyond Turner. If Shannahan were here (offensive mind many have said they want) I think he would struggle to do much w/ an OL this bad. There are only so many plays you can draw up when your OL is not just playing poorly, but playing as poorly as ours.

With that said, it just always seems like Tuner is a bit slow to make such changes. I recall yelling for the two TE sets two years ago. It wasn't until last year Turner tried it. It worked. Now, I am FAR from any football mind, and many others called for it too. Point is, it just takes our staff too long to install plays which seem pretty obvious as being necessary. A more current example is the bootleg. This is something Cutler did VERY well in Denver. This is something that would "help" offset the pass rush a bit as it puts Cutler on the move, gets him in space, and doesn't make it so predictable where he will be, thus making it harder for the DL to simply tee off and attack the pocket. This is not just something you hear fans question the lack of, but former coaches and players who are now in the media ask the same questions.

Honestly, the best reason for me to get rid of Turner is that almost guaranteed, the OL coach he brought in would leave with him.

As for the personnel and FB, it is really hard to say who makes those calls. You have to believe Turner has a say, but at the same time, Lovie also has his favorite players. Take AP for example. Remember when Lovie said that as long as he was the coach, AP would have a roster spot? I think McKie also plays special teams a lot, so his roster spot may not be solely at his discretion.

This has been a sore spot for me for years too, and I really do believe it is Lovie. I remember years ago, it was Lovie, not Turner, talking about how he liked versatile FBs. He likes FBs that could pass block, run block, pass catch and even carry the ball. Lovie always has talked about how McKie can do all these things. He may be right, but unfortunately, McKie simply doesn't do anything well. I would much rather have a pure blocking FB.

I don't have a problem with the running up the middle except for that we do not have a FB that can lead block nor an OL that can control the LOS. You would think that with all the film sessions that Turner would have learned this by now. Yes, Turner has to be accountable for not knowing his personell's weakness and getting creative to solve these issues and I not talking about the attempted wildcat. Also, if he had a say who makes the team than that is another area he needs to be accountable for. We had Polite here for plenty of time to evakuate him to know that he wass better than Mckie and Polite was cut. Since we are on the FB tangent I am still ticked that they did not draft PEyton Hillis two years ago when the Broncos got him in the 7th rd. He would be a stud lead blocking for Forte.

Not going to happen. Lovie will never agree to this. He wasn't even comfortable w/ Rivera being under him. No way he goes the route of a shared coaching position.

Frankly, I wouldn't want this anyway. All you have to do is look at Washington. Your HC needs to be the ultimate authority. We need to improve, but I do not think such a change in organizational structure is the way to go.

if they fire turner alone they seriously need to have someone in mind that is better before they do it. just promoting someone already in the fold would be a worse mistake than keeping him (john shoop comes to mind as this type of stupidity). as bad as our offense needs 'quality' players they also need someone who can coach them to become better players. even with our current draft status we should be able to find some good interior linemen. what we need is someone who can get them up to speed as soon as possible to fill out our offensive line and the only way for that to happen is through drafting and good coaching.

my 7% solution... if we have a poor season/post-season and angelo is smart (don't count on it) what he does is offers a shared head coaching spot to shannahan, for a LARGE amount of cash, to run this mess similarly to the ditka - b. ryan era pre-superbowl. if lovie doesn't like it oh well, there is always the unemployment line.

we get a proven offensive minded coach who is familiar with our main player on offense who has the possibility to turn our offense around within 2 years. if lovie and our defense continue to fail, lovies replacement is under contract.

angelo had better start thinking about covering his arse or he will be looking for work himself (in my opinion he is more than half our problems and deserves to be fired) within a year or 2.

I see Martz...

He's got some connection w/ Smith...unless there's an animosity I'm not aware of.

I can't see anyone going for a shared HC possibility...especially a top tier guy like Shanahan.

Not going to happen. Lovie will never agree to this. He wasn't even comfortable w/ Rivera being under him. No way he goes the route of a shared coaching position.

Frankly, I wouldn't want this anyway. All you have to do is look at Washington. Your HC needs to be the ultimate authority. We need to improve, but I do not think such a change in organizational structure is the way to go.

1. if angelo wanted to keep his job and throw the blame away from himself this would be a very good solution for him and not beyond the realm of possibility in desperate times in the way angelo thinks. if lovie says no then angelo can say he tried to keep lovie EVEN if he wants him out. (hmmmm... maybe like jauron?)

he saves the mccaskey's/phillips lovies contract cost if lovie chooses to opt out. he has brought in a LEAGUE offensive golden boy that buys him at least 3-4 more years in his role in chicago as GM and the possible future head coach, shanny, under contract. it makes his bringing in cutler even that much better. if he pays shanny an over the top salary but it's only for the tenure of lovies old contract he can then withhold contract offers to whichever HC isn't performing or bite the bullet if it works out really well and make up the extra salary costs in other revenues from a major winning franchise. another bonus is shanny can evaluate offensive talent in the draft a thousand times better than angelo. a good working combo before the draft.

you say lovie wasn't comfortable with rivera. i say apples and oranges. lovie wants control of the only thing he is capable of coaching even halfway well, the defense. rivera threatened lovie's genius status. that is why you will NEVER see angelo bring in any DC with teeth because lovie then becomes obsolete without any role as HC to fall back on. trust me it won't happen and if it does, it's not for long before lovie goes.

but... with an offensive minded coach, lovie might not like it but may accept sharing that portion of it. it takes the heat completely off his back if the offense fails to keep us in contention. he keeps his status and salary intact for at least the remainder of his contract in chicago and doesn't end up like all our former HC's.

2. you wouldn't want it anyway? frankly i don't care jack $#!* whether coaches are *sharing the burden or not as long as the job gets done and we win superbowls. if it takes TWO head coaches in chicago to do it i'm all for it ESPECIALLY considering our track record for HC's in this franchise!!! if lovie and shanny are at each others throats like ditka and ryan, so what. the end result of rings is my only concern. if lovie doesn't like it? see ya lovie, it's been a real slice.

* the example you mention in washington is also an apples/oranges situation. the guy replacing zorn's play calling is also offensive minded. not a defensive counterpart.

The dual head coach idea is ingenious. I didn't even think of that. Lovie has no idea what is going on in the offense anyway. He said so himself "I've never been the offensive coordinator, but I have a general idea of what we do." Something to that effect. It would have to be someone established though, someone able to develop NFL players. I'm not convinced there isn't a lot of talent that is not being utilized, whether it's WR, line, whatever.

I see Martz...

He's got some connection w/ Smith...unless there's an animosity I'm not aware of.

I can't see anyone going for a shared HC possibility...especially a top tier guy like Shanahan.

I called for Martz before each of the last two seasons. He may not focus on the ground game as much as some would like, but the man knows offense, knows how to exploit other teams' defenses, and would be a DRASTIC improvement over Turner.

Agreed...

...and it's not like this current group can really run all that well.

I called for Martz before each of the last two seasons. He may not focus on the ground game as much as some would like, but the man knows offense, knows how to exploit other teams' defenses, and would be a DRASTIC improvement over Turner.

I could be wrong, but I think the term sacrificial lamb in this case is a dig at Smith, that he should really be the one to go. It also implies all others under him go as well...

Sacrificial Lamb suggests that Turner is innocent. He has not had one above average year as Bears OC since he was rehired. He is the coach of the offense particularly when it comes to the Smith Lead defense. As such he is paid for performance. No performance= no job.