Expect mediocrity until Angelo goes

madlithuanian

I just am...

He's a failure.

Here's PIT's last 6 drafts:

2008 - 1st - Mendenhall - looks to be very good with lots of upside if he can stop fumbling (The guy I wanted the Bears to draft)

2007 - 1st Timmons, 2nd Woodley - great D starters

2006 - 1st Santonio Holmes - pro bowl type guy (Also got T Colon in the 4th)

2005 - 1st - Heath Miller (one of the best TE's in the league)

2004 - 1st - Big Ben - 'nuff said (also OT Starks taken in the 3rd)

2003 - 1st - Polamalu - best S since Lott

OK, mayb they got lucky, but when you compare ours (I don't need to put it up), it's just garbage.

Until Angelo goes, we will be mediocre....

I'm exadurating a bit. But let's not cloud the issue with semantics. He's arguably the best in the league right now.

Not sure who you think is better, but the point it he is a pro bowl calibur player that contributes heavily to his team's success.

Id hardly call Polamalu the best safety since Lott... Polamalu isn't even the best safety in the NFL right now, IMO.

However, that's all I gotta say.

I'm exadurating a bit. But let's not cloud the issue with semantics. He's arguably the best in the league right now.

Not sure who you think is better, but the point it he is a pro bowl calibur player that contributes heavily to his team's success.

I'd have to say Ed Reed is the best. But otherwise, I don't disagree with you about the fact that our drafting has sucked with Angelo and Lovie.

Think about it, this is a team that has spent a 1st round pick on a guy with back issues a year ago, has used 2nd and 3rd round picks on guys who never even made it to the 53 man roster, and used plenty more on guys who should have never been picked where they were (Key example, Garrett Wolfe).

Fair enough! Reed is outstanding!

It's really bad drafting. He gets mass kudos for finding Hester and somehow that's supposed to balance out the failing grade for everything else? It's got to stop. We need to stop the bleeding NOW.

Like I menioned earlier...I fear the organization isn't good enough Ted down... So, there's nothing that speaks to me that somthing will be done.

We have a gigantic gold mine with this franchise, yet ownership insists on brining in a 6 man crew of pans and plastic cups to mine for it. All the while, many other organizations are using all the modern technology and good staffing to reap amazing profits from much smaller mines.

I'd have to say Ed Reed is the best. But otherwise, I don't disagree with you about the fact that our drafting has sucked with Angelo and Lovie.

Think about it, this is a team that has spent a 1st round pick on a guy with back issues a year ago, has used 2nd and 3rd round picks on guys who never even made it to the 53 man roster, and used plenty more on guys who should have never been picked where they were (Key example, Garrett Wolfe).

I need a reminder, besides Hester, what have been his good picks? Olsen's a work in progress STILL.... Everything else is "potential"...that some other team will reap the benefits of I imagine!

Sorry, I'm just bitter....

Seeing what Miami and Atlanta did last year by bringing in personnel gives me a glimmer of hope we wont be buried. The whole staff needs to go. I also think its time to lose JA but I dont see it happening. Hes made some good picks but not enough to outweigh the disasters.

Alex Brown - Still starting.

Adrian Peterson - Say what you want, but for a late 6th, this was a solid pick.

Columbo to some extent. Didn't work for us, but was solid talent evaluation.

Tillman - Still starting

Briggs - Maybe his best pick ever.

Bunch of other nice depth chart players.

Harris - Question it, but he was elite before the injury.

Berrian - Solid WR we let walk due to money

Vasher - Say what you will today, but a very solid 4th round value who starting in the SB.

While this year didn't work for us, Benson, Orton and Chris Harris are all NFL starters, just for other teams. But again, do we give Angelo credit for the talent evaluation?

Hester, DM and Anderson, but only Hester was that great.

Still like Graham and Beekman, but the staff doesn't. Olsen needs to prove a lot IMHO.

2008 and 2009 are near impossible to consider w/o using the potential tag, though Forte has made a case.

Honestly, if you look at the history, Angelo has drafted a ton of players who are in the NFL still today, many of which are starting. What Angelo has failed to do, IMHO, is draft "special" players. He drafted Briggs, who is special. He drafted Harris, who was special. That is about it though. There are other nice or solid players, but no one else that is a difference maker. Sadly, Benson might be the 3rd best, special, player we drafted, but that is an entirely different story.

I need a reminder, besides Hester, what have been his good picks? Olsen's a work in progress STILL.... Everything else is "potential"...that some other team will reap the benefits of I imagine!

Sorry, I'm just bitter....

Alex Brown - Still starting.

Adrian Peterson - Say what you want, but for a late 6th, this was a solid pick.

Columbo to some extent. Didn't work for us, but was solid talent evaluation.

Tillman - Still starting

Briggs - Maybe his best pick ever.

Bunch of other nice depth chart players.

Harris - Question it, but he was elite before the injury.

Berrian - Solid WR we let walk due to money

Vasher - Say what you will today, but a very solid 4th round value who starting in the SB.

While this year didn't work for us, Benson, Orton and Chris Harris are all NFL starters, just for other teams. But again, do we give Angelo credit for the talent evaluation?

Hester, DM and Anderson, but only Hester was that great.

Still like Graham and Beekman, but the staff doesn't. Olsen needs to prove a lot IMHO.

2008 and 2009 are near impossible to consider w/o using the potential tag, though Forte has made a case.

Honestly, if you look at the history, Angelo has drafted a ton of players who are in the NFL still today, many of which are starting. What Angelo has failed to do, IMHO, is draft "special" players. He drafted Briggs, who is special. He drafted Harris, who was special. That is about it though. There are other nice or solid players, but no one else that is a difference maker. Sadly, Benson might be the 3rd best, special, player we drafted, but that is an entirely different story.

Thanks. I was just about to do this. Nice summary.

Peace :dabears

I have done such summaries many times in the past, and w/ far more detail than above. At the end of the day though, I think we can simply look at his draft history as such. He often finds usuable parts, but rarely finds those greats. Few teams win w/o great players. There is no question you need to find numerous nice or solid players in a draft, but you simply can't go so many years drafting nice players w/o hiting big more often.

Thanks. I was just about to do this. Nice summary.

Peace :dabears

Thanks for the post! Yeah...not hitting on greats is a killer...

I have done such summaries many times in the past, and w/ far more detail than above. At the end of the day though, I think we can simply look at his draft history as such. He often finds usuable parts, but rarely finds those greats. Few teams win w/o great players. There is no question you need to find numerous nice or solid players in a draft, but you simply can't go so many years drafting nice players w/o hiting big more often.