Rex Grossman's dad tees off on Chicago Bears organization

ParkerBear7

While Rex Grossman made some bonehead mistakes, and Cutler has made a few during his short term with the Bears, it's hard to argue with Grossman's dad. The team refuses to focus on building not only a passing game, but a dominating offense. For some reason the defense and the running game get the majority of the focus, and they probably always will.

Getting Cutler was a step in the right direction, but now the follow through is required. There needs to be coaching and player changes to take the next step.

I can't help but to think about Houston. I remember when Houston drafted David Carr to be their franchise QB, but after drafting their franchise QB, even fans couldn't explain why they did so little to protect him. They got their QB for offense. They even worked to add RB and WRs to give Carr weapons. What they did not do was build an OL to protect him. It didn't matter what RBs they added. It didn't matter how many weapons they gave Carr to work with. Every week, Texans fans watch Carr take the snap, and almost immediatly run for his life. I could be wrong, but I think he led the league for several years in sacks and QB hits.

Now, say what you want about Carr individually, but even the least aware fans realized how awful of a plan it was to add franchise players w/o doing jack to protect them.

While Rex Grossman made some bonehead mistakes, and Cutler has made a few during his short term with the Bears, it's hard to argue with Grossman's dad. The team refuses to focus on building not only a passing game, but a dominating offense. For some reason the defense and the running game get the majority of the focus, and they probably always will.

Getting Cutler was a step in the right direction, but now the follow through is required. There needs to be coaching and player changes to take the next step.

I can't help but to think about Houston. I remember when Houston drafted David Carr to be their franchise QB, but after drafting their franchise QB, even fans couldn't explain why they did so little to protect him. They got their QB for offense. They even worked to add RB and WRs to give Carr weapons. What they did not do was build an OL to protect him. It didn't matter what RBs they added. It didn't matter how many weapons they gave Carr to work with. Every week, Texans fans watch Carr take the snap, and almost immediatly run for his life. I could be wrong, but I think he led the league for several years in sacks and QB hits.

Now, say what you want about Carr individually, but even the least aware fans realized how awful of a plan it was to add franchise players w/o doing jack to protect them.

Your right. I blame that organization for ruining Carr. As a rookie he set and still holds the record for most times sacked in a single season with 76 I think it is. That is averaging almost 5 sacks per game. No rookie QB should be hit as often as he was. I read the article this morning at work as most of you know I deliver the Trib. There are some points in there where I believe has lost it but overall I can't blame him as he is right. The NFL has turned into a passing team with teams looking to run up scores. I can't say everything is the Bears fault though. We gave Rex every opportunity to succeed but any time he faced a little pressure he started making mistakes. That is all on Rex. IMO we stuck with Rex way to long. One of the QB's I thought would do well was Cade McNown but we saw what happened with him. I blame that mistake on hm and not the organization.

Thing is, you can go back and question how we have handled the various QBs, and I think Rex' dad does have a point.

It is a total mind set. It is a HC who says we get off the bus running, not caring about reality. It is a GM who just doesn't really get it. Who believes he can patch together an OL and only now has decided "its all about the QB." It took him how long to figure that one out. From our scouting to our coaching, I there it is very valid to question it all.

You mention Cade. Cade was likely destined for failure, but I will to this day argue against how we handled him. I watching Minny insert a young QB (Culpepper) into that offense, but they did some things that really helped out a young QB. They had a solid OL, and still kept extra blockers back to help. they tried to run the ball more often. they kept safety outlets for him to dump off too.

Contrast that w/ how we handled Cade his rookie year. Remember the razzle dazzle offense? We had a rookie QB, asked him to learn a very complicated system. We didn't care to run the ball, meaning teams viewed us as one dimensional and could tee off on the QB. While Minny would max protect to keep Pepper safe, Cade got to deal w/ empty backfields. Many veteran QBs would struggle in that system, but to ask a rookie or young QB to run it was just assanine.

I actually thought we did a fairly good job w/ Orton his first year. We didn't ask him to do too much, and developed him. But then we threw that away by (a) not even allowing him to compete for the job after that and (B) like media and some fans, held agaisnt him aspects of his game that were likely more attributable to his being a rookie. While Orton doesn't have an elite arm, it is not nearly as weak as some act, but because he was a dink and dunk QB his rookie year, that is all many felt he could be.

Even w/ Rex, we draft our "franchise QB" and then how many weapons did we provide him?

It isn't one thing. It is many. And at the end of the day, I think Rex' dad has something when he simply says this organization doesn't know how to develop a QB. We get a QB and no weapons. We get a QB and some weapons but no OL. We get OL and weapons but no QB. You get the point.

Your right. I blame that organization for ruining Carr. As a rookie he set and still holds the record for most times sacked in a single season with 76 I think it is. That is averaging almost 5 sacks per game. No rookie QB should be hit as often as he was. I read the article this morning at work as most of you know I deliver the Trib. There are some points in there where I believe has lost it but overall I can't blame him as he is right. The NFL has turned into a passing team with teams looking to run up scores. I can't say everything is the Bears fault though. We gave Rex every opportunity to succeed but any time he faced a little pressure he started making mistakes. That is all on Rex. IMO we stuck with Rex way to long. One of the QB's I thought would do well was Cade McNown but we saw what happened with him. I blame that mistake on hm and not the organization.

Thing is, you can go back and question how we have handled the various QBs, and I think Rex' dad does have a point.

It is a total mind set. It is a HC who says we get off the bus running, not caring about reality. It is a GM who just doesn't really get it. Who believes he can patch together an OL and only now has decided "its all about the QB." It took him how long to figure that one out. From our scouting to our coaching, I there it is very valid to question it all.

You mention Cade. Cade was likely destined for failure, but I will to this day argue against how we handled him. I watching Minny insert a young QB (Culpepper) into that offense, but they did some things that really helped out a young QB. They had a solid OL, and still kept extra blockers back to help. they tried to run the ball more often. they kept safety outlets for him to dump off too.

Contrast that w/ how we handled Cade his rookie year. Remember the razzle dazzle offense? We had a rookie QB, asked him to learn a very complicated system. We didn't care to run the ball, meaning teams viewed us as one dimensional and could tee off on the QB. While Minny would max protect to keep Pepper safe, Cade got to deal w/ empty backfields. Many veteran QBs would struggle in that system, but to ask a rookie or young QB to run it was just assanine.

I actually thought we did a fairly good job w/ Orton his first year. We didn't ask him to do too much, and developed him. But then we threw that away by (a) not even allowing him to compete for the job after that and (B) like media and some fans, held agaisnt him aspects of his game that were likely more attributable to his being a rookie. While Orton doesn't have an elite arm, it is not nearly as weak as some act, but because he was a dink and dunk QB his rookie year, that is all many felt he could be.

Even w/ Rex, we draft our "franchise QB" and then how many weapons did we provide him?

It isn't one thing. It is many. And at the end of the day, I think Rex' dad has something when he simply says this organization doesn't know how to develop a QB. We get a QB and no weapons. We get a QB and some weapons but no OL. We get OL and weapons but no QB. You get the point.

Good QB + Good OL = Weapons created by association

This is as obvious as water is wet. I don't know why the oh-so-mighty front office of the Bears can't figure this out.