How about Brian Billick?

JRCook79

I liked his defensive style in Baltimore, and supposedly he is an offensive coach. Probly could get him for cheaper than some of the other guys out there. He's been to a Super Bowl. Check check. I'm sure there are some down sides that some of you may know better than I--would be interested to hear.

Guest TerraTor
I liked his defensive style in Baltimore, and supposedly he is an offensive coach. Probly could get him for cheaper than some of the other guys out there. He's been to a Super Bowl. Check check. I'm sure there are some down sides that some of you may know better than I--would be interested to hear.

Id take almost anybody that actually opens their mouth during a game

Billick was supposed to be an offensive genius...and his offensive teams in Baltimore were horrid...worse than the Bears type horrid. They won the Super Bowl because of a Defense he had nothing to do with, and then he promptly cut the QB and signed Elvis Grbac as his offensive savior...yeah, that reminds me a bit too much of the Lovie/Rivera/Babich love triangle...I personally think he would be a terrible choice for a head coach. Maybe as an OC, but not as a head coach.

He's actually more of an offensive guy...and yes, I'd take him in a heartbeat over Smith.

Dilfer got lucky and the planets alligned for him to win a SB. He attempted an upgrade and whiffed. All his QB's there were pretty much slop...maybe McNair, but he was on the downward slide.

I'd give Billick a chance. If the opetionis to keep Smith or take Billick, the choice is obvious.

Billick was supposed to be an offensive genius...and his offensive teams in Baltimore were horrid...worse than the Bears type horrid. They won the Super Bowl because of a Defense he had nothing to do with, and then he promptly cut the QB and signed Elvis Grbac as his offensive savior...yeah, that reminds me a bit too much of the Lovie/Rivera/Babich love triangle...I personally think he would be a terrible choice for a head coach. Maybe as an OC, but not as a head coach.

Billick to me is a catastrophe waiting to happen. I think that Billick got really lucky in Baltimore and does not need to be back in the NFL. Just like Shannahan, I would not want Billick to lead this team. Cowler would be the ultimate choice to take over this team and Gruden I think has been away from the day to day of football and if you bring in someone to be the GM, I would want Gruden. Plus you would have to seriously start looking more at Leslie Fraizer at this point as well. Minnesota's "D" continues to do pretty decently and even bringing back Rivera who is helping San Diego on their current big winning streak. Billick is to much of a retread and we need to look else where.

Is Billick that much a retread? He's only been HC in BAL. I get your points why you don't want him...but I wouldn't really call him a retread. Denny Green for example is a guy I'd call a retread.

What's your take on Mooch?

I just fear with teams like WAS and DAL, we may be out of the running for big talent...tacked in w/ the usual Bears' fregailty regarding coaches.

Billick to me is a catastrophe waiting to happen. I think that Billick got really lucky in Baltimore and does not need to be back in the NFL. Just like Shannahan, I would not want Billick to lead this team. Cowler would be the ultimate choice to take over this team and Gruden I think has been away from the day to day of football and if you bring in someone to be the GM, I would want Gruden. Plus you would have to seriously start looking more at Leslie Fraizer at this point as well. Minnesota's "D" continues to do pretty decently and even bringing back Rivera who is helping San Diego on their current big winning streak. Billick is to much of a retread and we need to look else where.

One other thing about Cowher - wherever he goes, he's going to want to bring Kevin Colbert with him. Colbert is the Steelers' director of football operations: he's basically their GM in all but name, and he's run all their drafts since 2000. The word is that Cowher's put him on standby to come along with him as DFO or GM, and the Steelers have started getting ready to find his replacement if he leaves.

Obviously I'd love for Colbert to come in, since he's got a tremendous track record for identifying talent: in addition to putting together a perennial contender in Pittsburgh, from 1989-1999 he was a scout for Detroit and then their head of college scouting. Not only did he find Barry Sanders, but Detroit went to the playoffs 5 times while he was there and haven't had a winning season since he left. As awesome as it would be to have Cowher bring a great talent evaluator with him, I have a feeling that could actually be a barrier to the Bears getting Cowher. Either they'd have to fire Angelo with like four years left on his contract, or Angelo would have to be willing to share authority with Colbert - otherwise, I can't see Cowher wanting to go to a team that wouldn't let him bring in his personnel guy.

My preference would be to let JA go!

One other thing about Cowher - wherever he goes, he's going to want to bring Kevin Colbert with him. Colbert is the Steelers' director of football operations: he's basically their GM in all but name, and he's run all their drafts since 2000. The word is that Cowher's put him on standby to come along with him as DFO or GM, and the Steelers have started getting ready to find his replacement if he leaves.

Obviously I'd love for Colbert to come in, since he's got a tremendous track record for identifying talent: in addition to putting together a perennial contender in Pittsburgh, from 1989-1999 he was a scout for Detroit and then their head of college scouting. Not only did he find Barry Sanders, but Detroit went to the playoffs 5 times while he was there and haven't had a winning season since he left. As awesome as it would be to have Cowher bring a great talent evaluator with him, I have a feeling that could actually be a barrier to the Bears getting Cowher. Either they'd have to fire Angelo with like four years left on his contract, or Angelo would have to be willing to share authority with Colbert - otherwise, I can't see Cowher wanting to go to a team that wouldn't let him bring in his personnel guy.

Holy crap....

this is now my ideal situation....of course the Bears will let me down.

Holy crap....

this is now my ideal situation....of course the Bears will let me down.

Yeah, if they're actually willing to hold Angelo accountable for his poor drafting and fire him, then they need to offer Cowher whatever salary he wants and make sure that Colbert comes along for the ride. We all know how bad Angelo has been in the first round of the draft...you want to see Colbert's 1st-round draft picks?

2000 - Plaxico Burress

2001 - Casey Hampton

2002 - Kendall Simmons

2003 - Troy Polamalu

2004 - Ben Roethlisberger

2005 - Heath Miller

2006 - Santonio Holmes

2007 - Lawrence Timmons

2008 - Rashard Mendenhall

2009 - Ziggy Hood

Some notable things about that list:

- Between them, they have 10 Pro Bowls and 4 All-Pro selections.

- Except for Plax, all of them are still in the league, which certainly can't be said for Angelo's 1st-rounders.

- All of them except for Plax and Kendall Simmons are still with the Steelers.

- All of them turned out to be legit NFL-level starters (Ziggy Hood gets a pass, since he's still a rookie.) Plax was starting for the Giants before his run-in with the law, and Simmons is starting for the Bills.

That's 10 picks, 9 NFL starters (plus a rookie who might turn into one,) 7 of whom are still on the Steelers' roster. One of those guys is a franchise quarterback, and two of them (Hampton and Polamalu) are franchise-type players on defense. Everybody else is, at a minimum, a very good starting player. If Ziggy Hood develops into a starter down the road, Colbert will be 10-for-10 in the 1st round. The guy knows how to find talent.

Impressive...

Yeah, if they're actually willing to hold Angelo accountable for his poor drafting and fire him, then they need to offer Cowher whatever salary he wants and make sure that Colbert comes along for the ride. We all know how bad Angelo has been in the first round of the draft...you want to see Colbert's 1st-round draft picks?

2000 - Plaxico Burress

2001 - Casey Hampton

2002 - Kendall Simmons

2003 - Troy Polamalu

2004 - Ben Roethlisberger

2005 - Heath Miller

2006 - Santonio Holmes

2007 - Lawrence Timmons

2008 - Rashard Mendenhall

2009 - Ziggy Hood

Some notable things about that list:

- Between them, they have 10 Pro Bowls and 4 All-Pro selections.

- Except for Plax, all of them are still in the league, which certainly can't be said for Angelo's 1st-rounders.

- All of them except for Plax and Kendall Simmons are still with the Steelers.

- All of them turned out to be legit NFL-level starters (Ziggy Hood gets a pass, since he's still a rookie.) Plax was starting for the Giants before his run-in with the law, and Simmons is starting for the Bills.

That's 10 picks, 9 NFL starters (plus a rookie who might turn into one,) 7 of whom are still on the Steelers' roster. One of those guys is a franchise quarterback, and two of them (Hampton and Polamalu) are franchise-type players on defense. Everybody else is, at a minimum, a very good starting player. If Ziggy Hood develops into a starter down the road, Colbert will be 10-for-10 in the 1st round. The guy knows how to find talent.