Bears interviewed Tice

Connorbear

Depending on who you ask, he's either interviewing for OC, offensive line coach, or both. ESPN says OC, but Jason LaCanfora from NFL.com says o-line coach. The Trib says it's both. I guess I'd be OK with him as a position coach, but I don't want him as a coordinator. I guess his Vikings offense had that one good year in 2004, but all in all, I wouldn't want him running my offense.

Mike Tice is a good oline coach, a good OC and a very good coach in general. I don't see how anyone could be upset with this move. He has had success calling plays and was a solid coach outside of the boat incident.

ANd you talk about keeping players in check, that is Lovie's job not Tice's and that is one of Lovie's strong points (not necessarily talking down to players but keeping the lockeroom under control).

Tice would be a nice hire as an OC and an even better hire as an oline coach.

Mike Tice is a good oline coach, a good OC and a very good coach in general. I don't see how anyone could be upset with this move. He has had success calling plays and was a solid coach outside of the boat incident.

ANd you talk about keeping players in check, that is Lovie's job not Tice's and that is one of Lovie's strong points (not necessarily talking down to players but keeping the lockeroom under control).

Tice has never been an OC, and even when he was the HC of Minnesota, his offenses were never really that good.

Tice has never been an OC, and even when he was the HC of Minnesota, his offenses were never really that good.

Except in 2004, when they had Culpepper and Randy Moss going nuts on everybody. Culpepper threw 4717 yards and 39 TDs that season. He also broke Marino's record for combined passing/rushing yards. But yeah, outside of that one season, his offenses weren't anything to write home about. Culpepper was way too inconsistent for the rest of Tice's time in Minnesota, and I'd take the guy who developed Carson Palmer over the guy who developed Daunte Culpepper any day of the week.

Here's Noots take on the issue. Pretty spot on and I'm in his camp on this:

I'd LOVE to have Mike Tice on the Bears' coaching staff, as EITHER OL Coach or OC. I don't mind coach Meat Head, and quite honestly feel there's a bit of stereotyping associated with him. He's a big guy, loud, mouth breather type. That does not make him stupid. That does not mean he cannot coach. Hell, his football IQ and overall IQ might be sky high. This guy was a college quarterback, has coached TE, OL, OC and been a HC. Yeah, he works for me. Favors a vertical passing game with straight ahead run blocking on the line. I dunno, if that's not a good fit for what many of us have clamored for, I don't know what is.

I agree with DABEARSDABOMB. Besides last time I checked, this city and it's players react well to "meathead" coaches.

One interesting take was to have Zampese as Passing Game Coordinator and Tice as OLine and Run Game Coordinator. I think thats actually not a bad idea.

Two-headed monsters never work in any business. Hire someone to be the OC, if he wants an assistant to help more on one aspect of the game then that is the OCs decision...period.

It seems to work for the Cards, and a lot of teams (NFL and collegiate) are going more and more with the dual coordinators. Its really not that bad of an idea. If they can work together, you can put together some very good schemes and game plans.

Two-headed monsters never work in any business. Hire someone to be the OC, if he wants an assistant to help more on one aspect of the game then that is the OCs decision...period.

It worked for Denver when Cutler was there. They had Bates as de facto passing-game coordinator and Dennison as running-game coordinator. That two-headed monster was the #2 offense in the NFL.

I didn't realize this, but a few teams are using this approach and it is working nicely in Arizona.

I have watched nearly every AZ game this season and there is one OC and his name is Whisenhunt. That's exactly what he said he was going to do after Haley left last year. Yes, he has two guys who "coordinate" the run game or the pass game but Whisenhunt is calling the plays and the shots on offense. Saying AZ has two OCs would be like saying they had two head coaches because Grimm also has the title of Asst Head Coach. Then again, Rod Marinelli is our Asst Head Coach whatever that's worth.

In neither case does this alter my feeling that there must be one person in charge at the top a clear line of authority. Doesn't mean assistants can't have significant input on decisions.