Mike Nolan Available

DABEARSDABOMB

McDaniels is an ass-clown for letting him leave but oh well. Bears will not go after him since it involves a change in scheme but he'd be a phenomenal hire and he is a tremendous defensive coordinator.

"I can't say anything other than Josh and I mutually agreed to part ways," Nolan said on Monday, according to The Denver Post.

I hear he has a deal lined up in Miami already (Hub Arkush on the Score tonight said this while talking to a Denver journalist). The Denver journalist said that Nolan wanted out because McDaniels wanted too much control over the Defense and they were clashing. If that is true, there is NO way he comes to Chicago with Lovie forcing his scheme on his coordinator.

I hear he has a deal lined up in Miami already (Hub Arkush on the Score tonight said this while talking to a Denver journalist). The Denver journalist said that Nolan wanted out because McDaniels wanted too much control over the Defense and they were clashing. If that is true, there is NO way he comes to Chicago with Lovie forcing his scheme on his coordinator.

McDaniels is so retarded. It appears that so far in his 1 year there that he is going to let everyone go that he doesn't get along with. Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall come to mind and now Nolan. This will be the Broncos 5th D Coordinator in the past 5 years and Nolan took that defense from 26th in '08 to 7th last year. That is significant and as an award he gets fired. That is just amazing. I was shocked. The defense was not the problem this year. If it wasn't for the defense the team probably would have only won a handful of games.

Even though I'd love for him to bring a 3-4 defense over here I know Lovie will not consider him because he isn't one of his buddies and he doesn't run the cover 2.

He wouldn't necessarily have to bring a 3-4 with him. He's run a 1-gap 3-4 for several teams, but he also has experience running 4-3 defenses and "hybrid" defenses with both 3-4 and 4-3 looks. He'd be a great hire, but he's not a Tampa-2 guy. That said, this team doesn't run much Tampa-2 any more, if you break it down snap-by-snap. It's not even really their base defense any more. With a guy like Nolan available, they should just acknowledge that they've already evolved away from that scheme and bring in somebody who can make the current D more effective.

EDIT: Also, let me just say that I definitely DON'T want the Bears switching to a 3-4. Teams across the league are trying to do it now, just like everybody's trying to implement the Wildcat. And a 3-4 nose tackle might be the hardest position to fill in football...there just aren't that many guys around who can do it well. I think a lot of the teams that are just now switching to a 3-4 are going to get burned...that's why you saw smart defensive teams like the Patriots and the Ravens starting to make a transition back to a 4-3 this season.

I just heard he wasn't. The Fins ate him up.

There goes a Parcells run team picking strong people again...whoodathunk.

McDaniels is an ass-clown for letting him leave but oh well. Bears will not go after him since it involves a change in scheme but he'd be a phenomenal hire and he is a tremendous defensive coordinator.

McDaniels is so retarded. It appears that so far in his 1 year there that he is going to let everyone go that he doesn't get along with. Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall come to mind and now Nolan. This will be the Broncos 5th D Coordinator in the past 5 years and Nolan took that defense from 26th in '08 to 7th last year. That is significant and as an award he gets fired. That is just amazing. I was shocked. The defense was not the problem this year. If it wasn't for the defense the team probably would have only won a handful of games.

He didn't get fired, he asked to leave and McDaniels let him walk.

At the end of the day, does it matter. Just like when someone says that Lovie didn't fire Rivera, I laugh at the need to be technically correct. Lovie all but helped Rivera back his bags.

McDaniles and Nolan supposedly had a rift going on, and the sense is McDaniels was pushing Nolan out the door. Ultimately, it may have been Nolan asking for the door to be open, but McDaniels had been pushing him in that direction and was quick to open the door for him.

So maybe it isn't technically accurate to say McD fired Nolan, but I think you could say he ran him off.

He didn't get fired, he asked to leave and McDaniels let him walk.