An article of Incompetence

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=6582

Smith lauds depth, young talent at wide receiver position

By: Larry Mayer | Last Updated: 2/26/2010 6:18 PM INDIANAPOLIS – Coach Lovie Smith is excited about the continued development of the Bears’ young wide receivers and believes that they’ll thrive in new coordinator Mike Martz’s system.

While some considered the position a weak link prior to the 2009 season, Devin Hester, Earl Bennett, Johnny Knox, Devin Aromashodu and Rashied Davis combined to catch 185 passes for 2,334 yards. It was the highest output by Bears receivers since they had 192 receptions in 2002 and 2,363 yards in 2001.

Devin Hester led all Bears wide receivers with 57 receptions and 757 yards this past season.

“I know they’re all excited,” Smith said Friday at the NFL Scouting Combine. “How could you not be excited if you are a wide receiver with the type of offense that we’re going to run? That’s been the case with all of the guys. They can’t wait to get started and we can’t wait to work with them.

“Even though we’re young, I really feel like that may be the deepest position on our ballclub and they’ll just take off. Even a guy like Juaquin Iglesias who didn’t get a chance to play this past year. I saw a lot of good things that he did during practice going against our [starting] defense.”

Martz has said that he envisions Devin Hester primarily filling the slot role that Az-Zahir Hakim excelled in when Martz coached the St. Louis Rams. In 2009, Hester established career highs with 57 receptions for 757 yards despite missing three games late in the season.

“Mike is very excited about what Devin can possibly be in our offense as a receiver,” Smith said. “He’s seen a lot of good receivers. He knows exactly what it takes at the position. He has watched a lot of video on Devin.

"Devin is excited about it also. You just look at the skill level that Devin Hester has. In this offense, we’re pretty excited about what it can possibly be and what Devin can be.”

It doesn’t appear that the Bears will add a veteran receiver to the mix. There was some speculation that they might sign Torry Holt, who starred for Martz with the Rams and was recently released by the Jacksonville Jaguars. But Angelo believes that bringing in a veteran would hinder the development of the Bears’ promising young receivers.

“When you bring a veteran receiver in—and we learned this a couple years ago when we brought in Brandon Lloyd and Marty Booker—he’s going to take reps,” Angelo said. “Whose reps is he going to take? He’s going to take the young guys’ reps.

“Obviously the veteran’s the incumbent and you’re always going to have that security with him. [but] sometimes in that case it was at the expense of some of our young receivers, in particular Earl Bennett. I felt like about halfway through the [2008] season, Earl was ready to go and I think our coaches agreed.

“But we set our course with the veterans. I’m not minimizing their abilities, but they take reps at the expense of [the young players]. You can’t have the best of both worlds. You can’t bring in that veteran and have him show the way and then expect to continue your development of the young receivers.”

-------------------------------------------------------

Unfreakin believable. How can this assclown may 5mill a year?

Why is this insulting? I don't think any of our WR's will ever be mistaken for a true #1 like Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, etc.. But DA is enteraining as hell to watch, Hester is explosive in a limited role, Bennett is solid and catches everything, and Olsen's good also.

At this point in his career, I don't think Anquon Boldin's a huge upgrade over the guys we have.

Dallas broke the bank to get Roy Williams. Williams has sucked and Miles Austin has been a gem. I want to see us develop what we have.

Guest TerraTor
Why is this insulting? I don't think any of our WR's will ever be mistaken for a true #1 like Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, etc.. But DA is enteraining as hell to watch, Hester is explosive in a limited role, Bennett is solid and catches everything, and Olsen's good also.

At this point in his career, I don't think Anquon Boldin's a huge upgrade over the guys we have.

Dallas broke the bank to get Roy Williams. Williams has sucked and Miles Austin has been a gem. I want to see us develop what we have.

No Zombie, speaking of how deep we are at WR, excited about an offense that worked 10 years ago and had two stud WR? Makes me wanna smack the guy.

"Devin is excited about it also. You just look at the skill level that Devin Hester has. In this offense, we’re pretty excited about what it can possibly be and what Devin can be.”

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Let the dream die for cripes sakes. I'm looking at his skill level at WR, and as Aikman said: it's an embarrassment to a real wide receiver. Can't wait to see Lovie get fired at the end of the year.

No Zombie, speaking of how deep we are at WR, excited about an offense that worked 10 years ago and had two stud WR? Makes me wanna smack the guy.

If you are so insulted, stop reading the fluff on the Bears website. All puppies and rainbows there.

Peace :dabears

Guest TerraTor
If you are so insulted, stop reading the fluff on the Bears website. All puppies and rainbows there.

well of course its fluff, i just cant believe things like that are actually published and that clown can say it. Blows my mind

well of course its fluff, i just cant believe things like that are actually published and that clown can say it. Blows my mind

If you know its fluff, then I simply don't understand why you find it insulting. Life's too short. Stop reading it and pray he is gone next year.

Yea, I don't see the fluff, insult or incompetence. A group of WRs who were expected to be nothing put up better numbers than far more veteran groups did over the last 7 or 8 years. We have a group of young Wrs we are developing who showed tremendous potential, promise, and even production. That is the exact opposite of incompetence. I guess the overall image of our actually developing talent we drafted, and watching that talent produce is so out of the norm, we don't know what to think when we do see it.

Yeah I dont understand what the big deal is. Let the WR's develop. We are clearly not going to get a MArshall, and to be honest Boldin is on the downside. Upgrade OL and DL first.

I don't see the insult either. The WR corp showed potential last year with a bum at OC. With Martz - a guy known for prolific passing offenses - the WRs should put up much better numbers. There is serious potential for multiple 1000 yard WRs in a Martz offense QB'd by Cutler.

In fact, I don't see how anyone disagrees with the article. Given that Martz is known for neglecting the running game in favor of the passing game, and nearly disregarding the TE in the passing game, it's almost a guarantee that the WRs flourish.

Then why would you want to take a flier on TO?

Here in Dallas, something often said is if TO were on the team in 2009, Miles Austin would have never developed. If TO and RW were starting, along w/ Witten Austin would have been so low on the reads that he would have never emerged, and thus never developed into the stud he seemed to become this past season.

I just don't understand the idea of adding a WR like TO. If you like the young talent we have, and like the idea of developing the young talent we have, TO would not seem like a good idea.

Yea, I don't see the fluff, insult or incompetence. A group of WRs who were expected to be nothing put up better numbers than far more veteran groups did over the last 7 or 8 years. We have a group of young Wrs we are developing who showed tremendous potential, promise, and even production. That is the exact opposite of incompetence. I guess the overall image of our actually developing talent we drafted, and watching that talent produce is so out of the norm, we don't know what to think when we do see it.

I actually found it to be quite insulting and actually agree with him on incompetence. It just may not be for the same reasons.

A writer on the Bears site writing a fluff peice on how the Bears will do good isn't insulting. Lovie talking about the young players and Martz, and how they will some how excel in his complicated system is something that's fine with me. I don't expected him to say they are screwed.

Angelo's statement, however, showed both incompetence and insulted me.

“When you bring a veteran receiver in—and we learned this a couple years ago when we brought in Brandon Lloyd and Marty Booker—he’s going to take reps,” Angelo said. “Whose reps is he going to take? He’s going to take the young guys’ reps.

“Obviously the veteran’s the incumbent and you’re always going to have that security with him. [but] sometimes in that case it was at the expense of some of our young receivers, in particular Earl Bennett. I felt like about halfway through the [2008] season, Earl was ready to go and I think our coaches agreed.

“But we set our course with the veterans. I’m not minimizing their abilities, but they take reps at the expense of [the young players]. You can’t have the best of both worlds. You can’t bring in that veteran and have him show the way and then expect to continue your development of the young receivers.”

Lloyd missed games 5-9 and game 13. He had 7 catches total in the 5 games he played in the second half of the season before the season ender. Plus he was in the dog house bigtime at that point from where he didn't want to play when he was healthy.

Booker had 3 catches from week 8 on, all in one game.

So, if he and the coaches felt Bennett was good enough to play at the half way part of the season that year, then he is flat out lying, which I find insulting. It's lying to me because it's taking a past mistake, acknowledging the mistake, but passing the blame off in a flat out lie.

I also think it shows incompetence in not getting him on the field to get a few catches and game experience when the 2 veterans weren't playing or producing when they did. Now, I know Turner was the OC then. Turner isn't here now. Angelo's view is that setting the course with veterans means you have to stick with veterans even when they a) aren't producing and B) not even playing, lead to Bennett not seeing the field.

He brings in players to the team. To think that veterans and young players cannot coexhist is incompetent. To say Booker and Lloyd stole Bennetts reps to the point he didnt catch a pass is insulting.

Then why would you want to take a flier on TO?

Here in Dallas, something often said is if TO were on the team in 2009, Miles Austin would have never developed. If TO and RW were starting, along w/ Witten Austin would have been so low on the reads that he would have never emerged, and thus never developed into the stud he seemed to become this past season.

I just don't understand the idea of adding a WR like TO. If you like the young talent we have, and like the idea of developing the young talent we have, TO would not seem like a good idea.

Two reasons, and two reasons only:

I think he's still got major talent

I think he can be had for cheap

If either of the two aren't true, then pass.

I'm not for adding a WR, but I don't think the Bears should put too much focus into it. If a top-notch WR falls into their laps for relatively little effort/money, then you have to make the move. Like him or not, TO's still better than any WR on the roster, and if he's on the trash heap you take a stab at him.

I think he's still got major talent. Like him or not, TO's still better than any WR on the roster.

I can not even agree with this.

Consider this. He is 36 years old. Okay, but some players continue to play well into their 30s, right? Well, take a look at his stats over the last three years.

Catches went from 81 to 69 to 55.

Yards went from 1,355 to 1,052 to 829.

TDs went from 15 to 10 to 5.

And I don't even want to hear about the QB crap in Buffalo because (a) his decline began in Dallas (B) even if it didn't translate to wins, as much as they were trying to force the ball to him, you would think it would translate to better stats but he just doesn't get open like you used to and he continues to drop too many balls.

Westbrook and LT have been released, and it is simply difficult to believe such tremendous players have "lost it". Last year, most in the league believe Orlando Pace was finished, but we didn't believe it and signed him to be our LT. How did that workout? Sometimes it is hard to come to terms with these all time great players fading, much less fading fast, but at some point we need to simply realize that.

I would be more okay w/ Holt (who I don't want) than TO. At least in Holt you can say you would have a field mentor for our young Wrs. TO does nothing to help develop young WRs. In fact, in many ways he does the opposite the way he screams for the ball (even if he is triple covered) and pressures the QB to throw it his way rather than look to other WRs.

Not many knew who Miles Austin was prior to this past season. Here is dallas, fans often said they wanted to see more of him, but when TO was here, he was complaining as it was he didn't get enough looks and Romo was to close with Witten and blah blah blah. Anyway, TO leaves, Austin gets a change, and bam. Dallas has a 1,300 yards and 11 TD WR. If they kept TO, there is zero change Austin exploded onto the scheme the way he did.

Could Knox not be Austin? How about Aromashadu? What player on our team may not develop because TO is demanding all the reads.

I think Hester is as good as TO of today. Heck, I think DA may be as good or better as well, and when I consider age, upside and locker room character, I would take those two over TO anyday.