Well Karma reared its ugly head

GrizzlyBear

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...ith-injury.html

Chris Harris exits practice with back strain

July 31, 2010 11:38 AM | No Comments | UPDATED STORY

By Vaughn McClure

BOURBONNAIS -- Bears safety Chris Harris left the practice field Saturday morning after receiving some medical attention. A league source told the Tribune that Harris had strained his back. His status is unknown for Saturday night's practice in full pads but early indications are that he will be fine.

Craig Steltz filled in for Harris with the first team and should remain in that role if Harris is sidelined during the night practice. Steltz had an interception Friday.

Harris previously told the Tribune the sprained ankle and banged-up shoulder he dealt with during offseason workouts would not hold him back during training camp.

Cornerback Tim Jennings sat out the morning practice with a right-knee injury suffered on Friday. Jennings said the team medical staff would determine if he needed an MRI. Also, tight end Brandon Manumaleuana, who entered camp off knee surgery, sat out the morning session.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully it's nothing. As long as he doesn't have a bad disc or something, he'll likely be day to day.

The good thing is, for once we actually have some depth at the position. Heck, last year Al Aflava was the starter, and now he's at the bottom of the depth chart.

Hopefully #27 Major Wright continues to develop where if this happens during the season, he'll be ready.

Regarding Afalava, I'll say this. He earned the job with solid play in camp, and played well early on, but he really regressed through the season. Further, since then, we added players and Steltz seemed to progress. So I am not sure Afalava is an example of "coach's dog house" so much as he simply regressed while other, better options emerged or were added.

And isn't it interesting how Al Alflava was the starter and is now the bottom of the depth chart? I wonder why players go to the top from the bottom so quickly in Lovie's world?

Regarding Afalava, I'll say this. He earned the job with solid play in camp, and played well early on, but he really regressed through the season. Further, since then, we added players and Steltz seemed to progress. So I am not sure Afalava is an example of "coach's dog house" so much as he simply regressed while other, better options emerged or were added.

I agree and disagree. I agree that Afalava regressed due to hitting the rookie wall to an extent, but think he's in Lovie's dog house because Lovie either thinks it's all mental, or he's using it as a motivational technique.

Either Lovie is an idiot because he doesn't realize that some kids physically and mentally burn out at what would have been the end of the college season, or he's an idiot by holding it against the kid despite knowing it.

I agree and disagree. I agree that Afalava regressed due to hitting the rookie wall to an extent, but think he's in Lovie's dog house because Lovie either thinks it's all mental, or he's using it as a motivational technique.

Either Lovie is an idiot because he doesn't realize that some kids physically and mentally burn out at what would have been the end of the college season, or he's an idiot by holding it against the kid despite knowing it.

The rest after the bold is really unnecessary.

And isn't it interesting how Al Alflava was the starter and is now the bottom of the depth chart? I wonder why players go to the top from the bottom so quickly in Lovie's world?

There were rumblings that he damaged a nerve in his shoulder last season, and consequently was having trouble wrapping up properly. Who knows if it's still bothering him.

EDIT: Also, I read that while most of the reps at FS went to Steltz with Harris out, Wright was getting some of them too. Maybe there's a silver lining in this - as long as Harris comes back healthy, that is - in that Wright could clearly use more reps at FS if he's going to make a quick transition to the NFL.

There were rumblings that he damaged a nerve in his shoulder last season, and consequently was having trouble wrapping up properly. Who knows if it's still bothering him.

EDIT: Also, I read that while most of the reps at FS went to Steltz with Harris out, Wright was getting some of them too. Maybe there's a silver lining in this - as long as Harris comes back healthy, that is - in that Wright could clearly use more reps at FS if he's going to make a quick transition to the NFL.

I still want to know why in the hell Harris and Steltz are even getting 1 rep at FS when they are both natural SS types and lack the coverage skills to play FS at any level above high school. It is assinine. :blink:

One, I am not sure it was the "rookie wall." I think Afalava began regressing long before the point in the season most would usually talk about the rookie wall.

Two, honestly, I am not sure how great Afalava was in the first place. He looked great for a rookie in camp, and beat won the job, but how much was him looking great and how much was him simply looking better then the rest. You know, tallest midget.

I'm not trying to bash him, but I will say this. Afalava finished the year on a low note, and I have yet to hear much positive about him coming out of OTAs. Steltz finished on a pretty high note, and was reportedly a standout in OTAs. We also traded for a veteran in Harris, and used a 3rd round pick for another safety. And that doesn't even factor how much the staff just can't stop themselves from trying DM at yet another postion.

Last year, Afalava won the job, but the level of competition has gone up. Afalava is still on the team, and if he steps up, maybe he gets back into the picture, but I think there is reason for him starting from a depth position.

Agreed 100% on Harris. Last year, I would have agreed 100% on Steltz, but he did fairly well at FS late in the year, and per reports (from writers observing OTAs and not just staff) Steltz was one of the bright spots at FS in camp.

I agree Steltz seems a more natural fit for SS, but at the same time, if he shows he can be a solid FS, why not look at him there.

I still want to know why in the hell Harris and Steltz are even getting 1 rep at FS when they are both natural SS types and lack the coverage skills to play FS at any level above high school. It is assinine. :blink:

I was never high on Afalava, did not think he should be considered a starting caliber player, just a backup at best.

It seems everything that happens is twisted so as more insults can be given the coaching staff.

If we don't make the playoffs and go DEEP into the playoffs this year, I like everyone else will want to clean house.

The difference between me and many on the forum, I am willing to give the coaches another chance this year to prove themselves.

JA certainly has stepped up in player acquisition. In two years to get Cutler & Peppers as well as some other very respected players is fantastic.

I was never high on Afalava, did not think he should be considered a starting caliber player, just a backup at best.

It seems everything that happens is twisted so as more insults can be given the coaching staff.

If we don't make the playoffs and go DEEP into the playoffs this year, I like everyone else will want to clean house.

The difference between me and many on the forum, I am willing to give the coaches another chance this year to prove themselves.

JA certainly has stepped up in player acquisition. In two years to get Cutler & Peppers as well as some other very respected players is fantastic.

IF the wasn't that great why did he start last year? We had other options but chose him, now he goes from hero to zero in one year? Why would that not be questioned? So were they wrong last year or this year?

No one needs to twist anything with this coaching staff, the problems are there for all to see. I am willing to give the coaching staff a chance too but I won't be holding my nose and looking the other way when they pull the next stupid move either.

I do agree with player acquisition...now let's get some wins.

That's basically what I have been saying too. Last year, Afalava was the best we had, but that may have been more relative to what we had then to his actual play/ability. This year we have added some players, while others have developed. Now, maybe Afalava is where he should be. Depth chart.

I hear you. I rip our staff as much as any, but try (not always with success) to be fair and give credit where it is due. So often I read how Lovie doen't give young players a chance, but Afalava was a rookie (late pick) who looked good in camp and was promoted to the starter level.

I will say there is also a big of "he made his bed...." I mean, he has made some very debatable decisions, and he doesn't put much into PR, which means he doesn't get much leeway. Further, here we are talking about one of the most mis-managed positions on the team (Safety). So I agree we as fans are often too quick to blame everything on Lovie, but also would counter by saying Lovie has only himself to blame for fans so often ripping him.

I wouldn't go that far. I am willing to give Martz/Tice a chance. I am interested to see if Marinelli can call the defense, something he hasn't done. As a HC, I think Lovie sucks. He ran out of chances some time back for me. Even if we win, I doubt it will be due to Lovie.

Torn here. For some time I questioned whether the issue was more what JA brought to the table, or what our staff did with it. I firmly believe this staff (or recent staff I should say) has done a dreadful job of developing players. Sure, some developed, but did they really develop due to staff or simply because they were so good. Briggs, for example, likely would develop for any team that drafted him. What you really like to see is the lesser talent develop, and I just question how much of that we have seen.

So part of me has begun putting more blame on coaches rather than JA. At the same time, I have a hard time giving him too much credit either. Early on, he took a back seat and ignored FA. After Jauron was gone, he suddenly began to spend, and many began to give him credit. I questioned why it took him so long to spend. Then, IMHO, he got complacement again, taking different approaches in the draft, and making some pretty questionable FA moves. Now he again is managing like his life depends on it, and I just wonder...how much credit should we give him for doing today what he should have been doing for some time?

Who were these other options you mention? DM sucks at S. We have all seen it and know it. Steltz looked awful last year during camp. Graham was experimented with at FS, but that experiment didn't last long. Payne I think was injured. When you say we had other options, who were you thinking about.

Afalava was the best of these options, but that doesn't mean he was a steller performer. He played better than the rest in camp, and was promoted. Give the staff credit for doing that in the first place. But Afalava never develop from that point.

Further, while we looked ugly in terms of options last year, it isn't quite so bad this year. We have added Harris and Wright. Steltz has been the bright some through OTAs. And DM has been moved to SS. So this year we actually do have options where we simply didn't last year.

IF the wasn't that great why did he start last year? We had other options but chose him, now he goes from hero to zero in one year? Why would that not be questioned? So were they wrong last year or this year?

No one needs to twist anything with this coaching staff, the problems are there for all to see. I am willing to give the coaching staff a chance too but I won't be holding my nose and looking the other way when they pull the next stupid move either.

I do agree with player acquisition...now let's get some wins.

My vote is that Smith is an idiot. ;)

It isn't that I put much faith in this staff at all, but if a player does show up on the field....

IMHO, this staff has for years tried to find the next Mike Brown. A player who didn't "look" like a typical FS, yet still played the position very well. If we drafted Mike Brown today, most (including myself) would say he doesn't have the speed to play FS and should be a SS. Yet he proved you can lack speed, but make up for it with intelligence.

Hey, we have drafted/added so many players who are so similar, one was bound to be able to play, right?

All I know for sure is, I just don't understand how we have handled the Safety position. I do not bash the staff for Afalava, as he is one of the few examples I might agree with the staff.

Do you honestly think this staff can make that assessment correctly? I don't...

They say a bnroken clock is right 2 times a day, but at the S position, this regime has only been right about Mike Brown...and actually wasn't he on Jauron's watch?

It isn't that I put much faith in this staff at all, but if a player does show up on the field....

IMHO, this staff has for years tried to find the next Mike Brown. A player who didn't "look" like a typical FS, yet still played the position very well. If we drafted Mike Brown today, most (including myself) would say he doesn't have the speed to play FS and should be a SS. Yet he proved you can lack speed, but make up for it with intelligence.

Hey, we have drafted/added so many players who are so similar, one was bound to be able to play, right?

All I know for sure is, I just don't understand how we have handled the Safety position. I do not bash the staff for Afalava, as he is one of the few examples I might agree with the staff.

Yes, Mike Brown was before Angelo/Lovie. Mark Hatley was the guy in charge when Brown was added.

They say a bnroken clock is right 2 times a day, but at the S position, this regime has only been right about Mike Brown...and actually wasn't he on Jauron's watch?

I thought so. It kind of speaks volumes, no?

Smith's entire stint here, in which his relies heavily on at least on stud S, has never groomed one. Brown was already a stud he just inherited.

One of Smith's chief failings is the lack of developing players.

Yes, Mike Brown was before Angelo/Lovie. Mark Hatley was the guy in charge when Brown was added.

Who were these other options you mention? DM sucks at S. We have all seen it and know it. Steltz looked awful last year during camp. Graham was experimented with at FS, but that experiment didn't last long. Payne I think was injured. When you say we had other options, who were you thinking about.

Afalava was the best of these options, but that doesn't mean he was a steller performer. He played better than the rest in camp, and was promoted. Give the staff credit for doing that in the first place. But Afalava never develop from that point.

Further, while we looked ugly in terms of options last year, it isn't quite so bad this year. We have added Harris and Wright. Steltz has been the bright some through OTAs. And DM has been moved to SS. So this year we actually do have options where we simply didn't last year.

The names that come to mind are Steltz, Payne, and Manning. Personally I do not thing Manning was that bad at safety and if we had ever let him play one position for more than two games at a time he might have developed, as he is no doubt quite an athlete. Payne wasn't injured all year was he? I don't honestly remember, but he was another guy who was said to be great and then disappeared into nowhere.

I don't remember Steltz looking "terrible," wasn't he a third round pick too? Again, is he another guy who suddenly looks great who looked bad last year?

Are we really going to even think about starting a third round draft pick at safety? If so, I will get ready for everyone whining how bad Wright sucks after a few games. Harris should be a lock at one safety position, preferably SS IMO, it is the other safety position I am worried about...

In sum, we have Harris and a 3rd round rookie in addition to last year. I still think it is mighty strange the starter from last year is suddenly at the bottom of the depth chart. I probably would not find it so strange if it did not seem to happen so often.

I find it absolutely hilarious that some on this board would find Lovie anything less than complete crap as a HC. Noone needs to make up things to identify Lovie's weaknesses, you only have to follow the team and look at the won-loss totals. I hope the team does well, but IMO they will do so in spite of Lovie and never because of him.

I find it hilarious that some on this board thinks it necessary to blame Lovie Smith for everything that happens in a negative aspect with the Bears.

I assure you that if the Bears Dorm rooms at camp runs out of toilet paper, it will be Lovie's fault.

If a player gets his steak medium well when he ordered it medium rare, you guessed it, Lovie's fault.

Lovie makes enough mistakes he deserves to be criticized for without some posters trying to turn every damn negative as a mistake made by Lovie.

Lovie's main mistake, the thing that I feel has defined his failure, is his selection of assistant coaches.

Hopefully this year he has gotten it right with DC, OC, & OLC.

If he has, we will have a very good year, we have the players IMO.

If not, if he blew it again on selecting his staff, he will be gone next year.