Hester breaks NFL return TD record

Cutsizzle

We have just seen history in the making...

I'm so glad Hester is with us...

He may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but damn if he doesn't sound like a really nice man.

Kudos Devin! It is an honor to have you play for us fans!

after is all said and done, he might go down as top 5 Bears of all time,if not, at least top 10.

after is all said and done, he might go down as top 5 Bears of all time,if not, at least top 10.

How do you compare the value of a kick returner to a guy like say, Urlacher though, where Hester (as a returner) is a threat on maybe 5 plays a game and influences 5 more by them kicking the ball away from him, while a regular offensive or defensive player has 50 plays a week that they're involved in, and a mistake on any of them can kill the team?

How do you compare the value of a kick returner to a guy like say, Urlacher though, where Hester (as a returner) is a threat on maybe 5 plays a game and influences 5 more by them kicking the ball away from him, while a regular offensive or defensive player has 50 plays a week that they're involved in, and a mistake on any of them can kill the team?

Hester has killed about 10 teams with his 13 returns. and not only the scores, but the field position, and his excitment he brings. Hester has won us more games than Cutler. Hester had more value yesterday then anybody else, if you want to "compare the value". one mistake on offence or defense and you still have 3 or 4 downs to make up for it, one mistake on special teams could be disasterous. They say now that special teams is 1/3 of the team. I was just posting some thoughts about how some MIGHT remember Hester.

Well said. Not sure I agree fully, but I certainly get where you're going with it.

All I can say is that he's got a roster spot on my all-time Bears team!

Hester has killed about 10 teams with his 13 returns. and not only the scores, but the field position, and his excitment he brings. Hester has won us more games than Cutler. Hester had more value yesterday then anybody else, if you want to "compare the value". one mistake on offence or defense and you still have 3 or 4 downs to make up for it, one mistake on special teams could be disasterous. They say now that special teams is 1/3 of the team. I was just posting some thoughts about how some MIGHT remember Hester.

I will respectfully disagree. Hester is a great player - the greatest returner ever but I find it extremely hard to compare him to other positions that are on the field for 60 to 70 plays a game. Further, I would find it difficult to place him in the top 10. Here are some of the names I would consider before him:

Payton

Sayers

Luckman

Hampton

Butkus

Ditka

Nagurski

George

Turner

Singletary

Urlacher

Also, you can't compare contributions of Cutler to Hester in terms of wins. This is Hester's 5th year on the team and Cutler's second.

Again, Hester is the greatest returner ever and their is really no arguing that point. I simply have a hard time saying he would be considered top 10 of all time.

Peace :dabears

Made the journey to Minneapolis and at first I was bitter with the situations. Not only was the game a classic being outdoors in Minnesota, but seeing Farve's last salute, the Bears clinch, and best of all for me-Hester's NFL record made that game a memory for a lifetime.

Hester will go down as a great, surely not a top 10 all time, but a legend in his own making. He has a very good chance of being a HOF'er but right now that's iffy. The record is broke and the Superbowl kick off will help, but he will need to make it untouchable IMO.

I will respectfully disagree. Hester is a great player - the greatest returner ever but I find it extremely hard to compare him to other positions that are on the field for 60 to 70 plays a game. Further, I would find it difficult to place him in the top 10. Here are some of the names I would consider before him:

Payton

Sayers

Luckman

Hampton

Butkus

Ditka

Nagurski

George

Turner

Singletary

Urlacher

Also, you can't compare contributions of Cutler to Hester in terms of wins. This is Hester's 5th year on the team and Cutler's second.

Again, Hester is the greatest returner ever and their is really no arguing that point. I simply have a hard time saying he would be considered top 10 of all time.

Peace :dabears

Yah, after i wrote it I told myself maybe I should say top 15, but i also said "when it's all said and done" we still have time for him to climb the lattter. He could still return a kick for a td in the playoffs or a super bowl to win the game in the future. Like I said "WHEN ITS ALL SAID AND DONE" not today.

I don't know about top ten, but when making comparisons we have to consider the impact of the plays.

I'm not saying they're completely equal, but imagine every Hester return for a TD as two or three sacks. Or equate them to 80 yards passing and one score. I know it's arbitrary, but to convey how a kickoff or punt return affects the game - boosts the Bears and destroys the morale of the opponents - we must consider quantity AND quality.