Bears vs Seachickens Divisional matchup?

BearFan2000

What a crazy game yesterday. New Orleans didn't' attempt to play defense and Hasselbeck looked all pro yesterday. Any given Sat I guess but this saturday saw last years super bowl teams go out in round 1 of the playoffs. I had figured Seattle would attempt to put up a fight but not dominate and win against the defending champs.

Some things I took away from this game is that our defense will need to come to play and be alert. Hasselback was surprisingly (to me) accurate and picked the Saints D apart most of the game. The saints to me looked surprised that they'd have to fight to win this game they appeared to have overlooked the birds. Seattle came in with a chip on their shoulders. All the talk leading up to the game was about how they being 7-9 didnt' deserve to be in the playoffs let alone host a round one matchup to a far superior team. Well this is why they play the game. Seattle stepped up and played a whale of a game, and knocked off a team that many myself included felt was a multiple score win easy for the saints.

We'll know today if it will be Seattle or Philly heading to Chicago. Philly beats the packers we host the Eagles, GB wins we host the Seahawks.

i could see the Bears and Pack play for a chance to go to the Bowl. Hopefully we dont regret the fact we could have put the Packer out of the players. It would be a bitch if they came back and beat us in the playoffs. In the AFC, we have two match ups that have teams playing each other for the third time this year (Pats v. Jets and Pitt v. Balt)

Also, if we play Seattle next, there is no way they will beat us.

I think what we have to look at is the road to the NFC Championship game is easier traveled with Seattle coming to Chicago. Assuming we come to play and remember to run the ball and stop the run, we will make it to the Championship game and will be one game away from the SB.

I am not sure if I would prefer the Bears to go to Atlanta and play them or GB at our house. There are pros and cons to both scenarios. However, the way I see it, if we cannot play well enough to win against either of those two teams we do not deserve to be in the SB. I want the Bears to earn their berth.

However, the way I see it, if we cannot play well enough to win against either of those two teams we do not deserve to be in the SB. I want the Bears to earn their berth.

I was thinking the same thing. It would cheapen the Super Bowl if a team like the Bears can go relatively uninjured, get the wildcard bye, beat two teams that maybe ought not be in the playoffs, and then go to the super bowl. Either GB or ATL will be a worthy test, as it should be.

I am not sure if I would prefer the Bears to go to Atlanta and play them or GB at our house. There are pros and cons to both scenarios. However, the way I see it, if we cannot play well enough to win against either of those two teams we do not deserve to be in the SB. I want the Bears to earn their berth.

Totally agree Pix.

However, as has been mentioned here and through the media the Bears have "luckily" made it to this point. I can't categorically agree with that assessment. And the thought that the game could be "cheapened" because the Bears might win on luck is not a fair analogy. Tell that to the Saints. Who were the Defending Super Bowl champions and disposed of by the upstart 7-9 Seahawks. Did the Seahawks luckily win that game? Tell that to the Colts. Who have been to 6(?) straight playoff appearances (and runner up in last year's Super Bowl) only to be excused by the Jets. A team we all have to agree is in disarray...or at the very least, distracted.

The Bears, like the other 31 teams, are a member of the NFL. Each and every week you have to come prepared better than the "other guy". The Seahawks DESERVED to win. Plain and simple. Just like the Bears have DESERVED to win the games they won. Stats mean nothing other than what has happened and not what WILL happen. The Bears will come into next week ready to play, in some capacity. Noone can fault them for staying healthy. If they lose they will have deserved to have lost. Conversely, if they win they will have derserved to win. Luck has very little to do with it. That's why when I say if the Bears make it to the Super Bowl and face the Patriots I do not agree that they will lose that game 10 out of 10 times.

And as before "any given Sunday" reflects just how true that is.

I was thinking the same thing. It would cheapen the Super Bowl if a team like the Bears can go relatively uninjured, get the wildcard bye, beat two teams that maybe ought not be in the playoffs, and then go to the super bowl. Either GB or ATL will be a worthy test, as it should be.

Cheapen it my ass. A Super Bowl win is a Super Bowl win. If we win the Super Bowl, does it matter that we beat the Seahawks/Packers/Falcons and whoever the AFC representative is? NO. If we win the Super Bowl, how many other teams can say that they won this year's Super Bowl? Answer just us!!! It is irrelevant who we play to get there, the job is to get there by beating whoever gets in our way.

If you want to say we should have played better teams in the playoffs, then the better teams should have won their playoff games or made it to the playoffs for that matter. Then this discussion would be valid. Who would you rather play? The Saints who stunk the joint up or the Eagles who lost their game? Would that justify a Super Bowl win. If so, then maybe they should have won instead of losing to the unworthy teams.

If going from June all the way to February and winning the Super Bowl is cheapened because we were healthy, earned the record to get the bye, beat two teams that earned a spot in the playoffs, then do me a favor, don't watch the game if we make it. I wouldn't want you to waste your time on 3 hours of a cheapened Bears Super Bowl.

We earned everything we've done this season. The other teams did what they had to do to get in the playoffs.

Cheapen it my ass. A Super Bowl win is a Super Bowl win. If we win the Super Bowl, does it matter that we beat the Seahawks/Packers/Falcons and whoever the AFC representative is? NO. If we win the Super Bowl, how many other teams can say that they won this year's Super Bowl? Answer just us!!! It is irrelevant who we play to get there, the job is to get there by beating whoever gets in our way.

If you want to say we should have played better teams in the playoffs, then the better teams should have won their playoff games or made it to the playoffs for that matter. Then this discussion would be valid. Who would you rather play? The Saints who stunk the joint up or the Eagles who lost their game? Would that justify a Super Bowl win. If so, then maybe they should have won instead of losing to the unworthy teams.

If going from June all the way to February and winning the Super Bowl is cheapened because we were healthy, earned the record to get the bye, beat two teams that earned a spot in the playoffs, then do me a favor, don't watch the game if we make it. I wouldn't want you to waste your time on 3 hours of a cheapened Bears Super Bowl.

We earned everything we've done this season. The other teams did what they had to do to get in the playoffs.

We compare the quality of teams between years all the time. We can tell the difference between a team with all the pieces set and a team that needs major help. So although you suggest it couldn't cheapen the Super bowl to have a team make it by injury luck and playing nobody but two barely wildcard quality teams, I guarantee you if that were to happen year after year, exactly that would be the result. Fans (maybe not you though:) ) would slowly start putting less and less stock in a SB appearance and more into season record. As you note, the Super Bowl is a big deal, but you take for granted why. So my Bears fandom aside, I don't want to see the Pats or Steelers face off against some crappy NFC team that if they played 'em 10 times they'd lose only once. That's not going to happen this year because as I said, ATL and GB are worthy adversaries...IF somehow Seattle were to make it past us all, they'd deserve it based on beating us/those teams. But that doesn't mean the scenario I originally proposed and repeated in my third sentence above couldn't happen in the future.

We compare the quality of teams between years all the time. We can tell the difference between a team with all the pieces set and a team that needs major help. So although you suggest it couldn't cheapen the Super bowl to have a team make it by injury luck and playing nobody but two barely wildcard quality teams, I guarantee you if that were to happen year after year, exactly that would be the result. Fans (maybe not you though:) ) would slowly start putting less and less stock in a SB appearance and more into season record. As you note, the Super Bowl is a big deal, but you take for granted why. So my Bears fandom aside, I don't want to see the Pats or Steelers face off against some crappy NFC team that if they played 'em 10 times they'd lose only once. That's not going to happen this year because as I said, ATL and GB are worthy adversaries...IF somehow Seattle were to make it past us all, they'd deserve it based on beating us/those teams. But that doesn't mean the scenario I originally proposed and repeated in my third sentence above couldn't happen in the future.

Don't backpedal now, Pal.

You said "It would cheapen the Super Bowl if a team like the Bears can go relatively uninjured, get the wildcard bye, beat two teams that maybe ought not be in the playoffs, and then go to the super bowl."

That being said from your mind to your keyboard that if the Bears made it, it would cheapen the Super Bowl. I'm not looking for a Super Bowl appearance unless it results in a win. The championship determines the last team standing, and yes in certain cases the underdog wins ('07 Giants and last years Saints). Does baseball put less stock in the World Series when the barely over .500 Cardinals win it all? No...they are still champions. Just like when the 10-6 backed into the playoffs beat the undefeated Patriots. If the Seahawks somehow win it all (even though they are done after this Sunday), doesn't that make them the champions?

If you win it all, you win it all bottom line. Whether it includes "injury luck" or beating playoff teams, a Super Bowl win is a championship.

I agree with you '74.

I don't give a rat's hindquarters of how we win, as long as we win. Quality opponent wins simply make for interesting banter before the game starts. The better the teams we beat, the better we look beofre kickoff. And vice versa. Sure, I'd rather us beat-down top tier teams 100-0, but I'll take a 20-19 win with a lucky bounce if that's what it takes. And this team seems to play better being an underdog anyway...

This team won't go down with the all-time greats, but dammit, I just want them to win. And if they can't do that, I at least want them to show up and not embarass themselves like the Chefs did.

Bear down!

:dabears

Don't backpedal now, Pal.

You said "It would cheapen the Super Bowl if a team like the Bears can go relatively uninjured, get the wildcard bye, beat two teams that maybe ought not be in the playoffs, and then go to the super bowl."

That being said from your mind to your keyboard that if the Bears made it, it would cheapen the Super Bowl. I'm not looking for a Super Bowl appearance unless it results in a win. The championship determines the last team standing, and yes in certain cases the underdog wins ('07 Giants and last years Saints). Does baseball put less stock in the World Series when the barely over .500 Cardinals win it all? No...they are still champions. Just like when the 10-6 backed into the playoffs beat the undefeated Patriots. If the Seahawks somehow win it all (even though they are done after this Sunday), doesn't that make them the champions?

If you win it all, you win it all bottom line. Whether it includes "injury luck" or beating playoff teams, a Super Bowl win is a championship.

That being said from your mind to your keyboard that if the Bears made it, it would cheapen the Super Bowl.

You assume I said something I didn't. If you want, repeat that above sentence but quote me exactly, and see if your point still makes sense. I repeat, it does matter how you get there, and you'd see that firsthand if started happening often.