Mock Drafts

sulster

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I htink we just simply disagree on the WR's.

First off, I couldn't agree more with you about OL. #1 and #2 priorities w/o a doubt. But WR is a concern. I feel we still do not have a big boy WR. I'm not just talking physical, I'm talking about a guy that makes plays, run routes, and helps his QB. We don't have that guy. Bennett may be the closest, but he has too many physical limitations.

I agree that getting the OL better will remedy a whole lot. But, I don't want to pass up on a FA WR that could make a huge impact. I think we know what we have in hester and Knox. They are #2's. They are Alvin Harpers w/o Michael Irvin.

Without being too snarky, how many big boy WRs did New England have this year? Their passing game seemed to do pretty well. Mainly because their OL is nasty.

No offense in the least!

None. Maybe that's why they are at home right now too...

Jennings, Driver, Ward and Wallace are all solid. They are playing for all the marbles...

And yes, i still agree that OL will help everything. But I think we go from C WR's to B with a good OL. I want an A.

Without being too snarky, how many big boy WRs did New England have this year? Their passing game seemed to do pretty well. Mainly because their OL is nasty.

Wes Welker and Deion Branch really is a solid 1-2 punch at WR. They're not speedy, long-distance pass guys, but they are always going to get open.

The Bears have guys who can stretch the field. It's guys who are always open, who the QB can throw the ball to for a guaranteed first down or to avoid the sack, that the Bears are missing. Those are the guys that take time to develop, because precise route running and good instincts for finding the seams in a defense are the key attributes.

I do believe that Deon Branch is a former Super Bowl MVP so he automatically qualifies as a quality WR but with that being said New England went one and done with whoever they had on the O-line and at WR. All of this can be settled by JA if he goes all out in FA and signs Mankins and Vincent Jackson. Then focus the draft on getting younger on the O-line,D-line and either draft a solid CB because it was obvious that GB went after Tim Jennings and if Zack Bowman or Corey Graham or DJ Moore can't challenge him for his spot then we need someone and if it happens to be the CB at Oakland who's name I can't begin to spell in FA then do it. We spent money on an RB and a TE that gave us little in return so why not spend more on potentially the finishing pieces to the puzzle.

lemonej, can you take over for JA? ;)

I do believe that Deon Branch is a former Super Bowl MVP so he automatically qualifies as a quality WR but with that being said New England went one and done with whoever they had on the O-line and at WR. All of this can be settled by JA if he goes all out in FA and signs Mankins and Vincent Jackson. Then focus the draft on getting younger on the O-line,D-line and either draft a solid CB because it was obvious that GB went after Tim Jennings and if Zack Bowman or Corey Graham or DJ Moore can't challenge him for his spot then we need someone and if it happens to be the CB at Oakland who's name I can't begin to spell in FA then do it. We spent money on an RB and a TE that gave us little in return so why not spend more on potentially the finishing pieces to the puzzle.

Wes Welker and Deion Branch really is a solid 1-2 punch at WR. They're not speedy, long-distance pass guys, but they are always going to get open.

The Bears have guys who can stretch the field. It's guys who are always open, who the QB can throw the ball to for a guaranteed first down or to avoid the sack, that the Bears are missing. Those are the guys that take time to develop, because precise route running and good instincts for finding the seams in a defense are the key attributes.

I totally agree, but in my mind there are two types of receiver that fall into the "always open" category: guys like Welker who get separation by running perfect routes and having great quickness, and guys like Brandon Marshall who may not always get separation, but are strong enough to fight off a DB even when they don't. The Bears need to get one or the other, because Cutler desperately needs a safety valve at receiver. Our current receivers would make a GREAT set of #2-#4 options in the passing game, but none of them has shown that he can be the #1 guy for Cutler.

My ideal offseason would go something like this: first, pay Vincent Jackson whatever he wants when he hits free agency. He can bail Cutler out on contested throws and win jump balls. Then draft something like this:

1. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin (fallback: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College)

Carimi's a road-grading tackle who still looks pretty solid in pass protection. A very polished player, he could probably step right in to replace Omiyale at LT. On the other hand, if Chris Williams can move back to LT, Carimi would be a stud RT. He'd be better in pass protection than most RTs, which is a must in Martz's scheme. Castonzo's probably limited to the left side and needs to get stronger, but (like Carimi) he'd be an upgrade in pass protection over any of our other LT options.

2. Drake Nevis, DT, LSU (fallback: Marvin Austin, DT, UNC)

Tommie Harris is done, and the Bears REALLY need to get some consistent pressure from the three-technique spot. Peppers can't do it all himself - this year proved that teams could limit his effectiveness without using double-teams, mainly by sliding protection away from him and moving the pocket. Getting a legit three-technique would keep teams from just running away from Peppers, freeing him up to get back to double-digit sacks.

If Rodney Hudson or Mike Pouncey were available here, they'd probably be the pick, but I don't think either one's going to fall that far in what looks like a VERY weak guard class.

3. Delone Carter, RB, Syracuse

Chester Taylor was a huge disappointment as a complement to Matt Forte, and barely adequate as a short-yardage back. Carter's a very different back from Forte: he's a bowling-ball (5'8.5" 226 pounds) power back like Maurice Jones-Drew. He can get tough yards, break tackles, and run through defenders.

4. John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin

Chicago needs immediate impact at several positions on the line. They can't afford to have guys struggle to learn how to play together, like what happened this season. Drafting Moffitt, who played next to Carimi in college, could speed up both players' learning curves. And it doesn't hurt that he's a great run-blocking guard.

5. Jake Kirkpatrick, OC, TCU

Experienced center, won the 2010 Rimington Award (given to the best center in the country.) Made all TCU's line calls, is supposed to be a very intelligent guy. Good in the run game. Could probably use a year or so to develop, but that's about how long Kreutz has left, and Kirkpatrick could learn from him in the meantime.

6. Mike Mohamed, LB, Cal

The Bears need to reload at Sam linebacker (Hillenmeyer may retire, both Roach and Tinoisamoa are going to be FAs) and on special teams (where like half the coverage team is slated for FA.) Mohamed projects best as a 4-3 OLB, specifically in the Tampa 2 thanks to his range and coverage ability. He's not a real thumper, but his speed could make him an asset on ST while he learns the scheme and develops.

7. Lee Smith, TE, Marshall

One of the biggest and most overlooked problems with Chicago's blocking this season was Brandon Manumaleuna. He gave up something like a half-dozen sacks, and whiffed on as many blocks as he made. Smith is a big, powerful TE (6'6" 270 pounds) who's supposed to be an outstanding blocker. If he can outplay Manumaleuna, maybe the Bears can have a competent blocking TE next year.

I totally agree, but in my mind there are two types of receiver that fall into the "always open" category: guys like Welker who get separation by running perfect routes and having great quickness, and guys like Brandon Marshall who may not always get separation, but are strong enough to fight off a DB even when they don't. The Bears need to get one or the other, because Cutler desperately needs a safety valve at receiver. Our current receivers would make a GREAT set of #2-#4 options in the passing game, but none of them has shown that he can be the #1 guy for Cutler.

My ideal offseason would go something like this: first, pay Vincent Jackson whatever he wants when he hits free agency. He can bail Cutler out on contested throws and win jump balls. Then draft something like this:

Your rationale right here is why I don't think the Bears can get away with drafting a WR this year...they need a guy who can step in immediately and be that threat. Vincent Jackson and possibly Sidney Rice could do that. No one they're going to find at #30 is likely to do that this season, if ever.

That said...I'm still sold on O-line being priority #1. Actually, the weird thing is, the Bears might be helped in this regard...if there's no FA period until after the draft, the Bears will almost have to go O-line in the draft, because they're not going to have the opportunity to even try to fix that through FA beforehand.

I agree. We have to go OL in the draft. In the first and possibly 2nrd rounds as well.

Maybe then a DT or DE...they usually help out faster going on gut instinct and raw power.

Wr should be drafted as potential, but we need a vet to help now.

Your rationale right here is why I don't think the Bears can get away with drafting a WR this year...they need a guy who can step in immediately and be that threat. Vincent Jackson and possibly Sidney Rice could do that. No one they're going to find at #30 is likely to do that this season, if ever.

That said...I'm still sold on O-line being priority #1. Actually, the weird thing is, the Bears might be helped in this regard...if there's no FA period until after the draft, the Bears will almost have to go O-line in the draft, because they're not going to have the opportunity to even try to fix that through FA beforehand.

1. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin (fallback: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College)

Carimi's a road-grading tackle who still looks pretty solid in pass protection. A very polished player, he could probably step right in to replace Omiyale at LT. On the other hand, if Chris Williams can move back to LT, Carimi would be a stud RT. He'd be better in pass protection than most RTs, which is a must in Martz's scheme. Castonzo's probably limited to the left side and needs to get stronger, but (like Carimi) he'd be an upgrade in pass protection over any of our other LT options.

2. Drake Nevis, DT, LSU (fallback: Marvin Austin, DT, UNC)

Tommie Harris is done, and the Bears REALLY need to get some consistent pressure from the three-technique spot. Peppers can't do it all himself - this year proved that teams could limit his effectiveness without using double-teams, mainly by sliding protection away from him and moving the pocket. Getting a legit three-technique would keep teams from just running away from Peppers, freeing him up to get back to double-digit sacks.

If Rodney Hudson or Mike Pouncey were available here, they'd probably be the pick, but I don't think either one's going to fall that far in what looks like a VERY weak guard class.

3. Delone Carter, RB, Syracuse

Chester Taylor was a huge disappointment as a complement to Matt Forte, and barely adequate as a short-yardage back. Carter's a very different back from Forte: he's a bowling-ball (5'8.5" 226 pounds) power back like Maurice Jones-Drew. He can get tough yards, break tackles, and run through defenders.

4. John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin

Chicago needs immediate impact at several positions on the line. They can't afford to have guys struggle to learn how to play together, like what happened this season. Drafting Moffitt, who played next to Carimi in college, could speed up both players' learning curves. And it doesn't hurt that he's a great run-blocking guard.

5. Jake Kirkpatrick, OC, TCU

Experienced center, won the 2010 Rimington Award (given to the best center in the country.) Made all TCU's line calls, is supposed to be a very intelligent guy. Good in the run game. Could probably use a year or so to develop, but that's about how long Kreutz has left, and Kirkpatrick could learn from him in the meantime.

6. Mike Mohamed, LB, Cal

The Bears need to reload at Sam linebacker (Hillenmeyer may retire, both Roach and Tinoisamoa are going to be FAs) and on special teams (where like half the coverage team is slated for FA.) Mohamed projects best as a 4-3 OLB, specifically in the Tampa 2 thanks to his range and coverage ability. He's not a real thumper, but his speed could make him an asset on ST while he learns the scheme and develops.

7. Lee Smith, TE, Marshall

One of the biggest and most overlooked problems with Chicago's blocking this season was Brandon Manumaleuna. He gave up something like a half-dozen sacks, and whiffed on as many blocks as he made. Smith is a big, powerful TE (6'6" 270 pounds) who's supposed to be an outstanding blocker. If he can outplay Manumaleuna, maybe the Bears can have a competent blocking TE next year.

DFG I like your list of players you like but I think the Bears might be banking on the kid they gave up a draft pick for in the supplemental draft from BYU(Unga) to be the power back they seek. I also am not so sure they will draft another TE. It seems they like Davis a lot and I watched tapes of the first OC under Lovie who was supposed to be running a similar offense to Martz and he used Des Clark in the role that Manu-Shamu played this season. So if they draft a TE I feel it would be a H-Back type that can double as an FB.

DFG I like your list of players you like but I think the Bears might be banking on the kid they gave up a draft pick for in the supplemental draft from BYU(Unga) to be the power back they seek. I also am not so sure they will draft another TE. It seems they like Davis a lot and I watched tapes of the first OC under Lovie who was supposed to be running a similar offense to Martz and he used Des Clark in the role that Manu-Shamu played this season. So if they draft a TE I feel it would be a H-Back type that can double as an FB.

Oh yeah, that was my dream draft, not what I think they'll actually do. I'm sure they'll give Taylor and Manu another shot based on the payday they doled out, but if it were me, I'd cut the losses and replace them.

A real H-back would definitely be nice, somebody in the Chris Cooley mold who can lead block out of the backfield but also play like a TE. I don't know who in this TE class fits that profile, but it'd be a nice addition. Watching Manu motion into the backfield pre-snap was kind of hilarious at first, but that joke's gotten pretty old at this point.

For what it's worth, I think the guy you are talking about is Bennett. And in the Martz offense, the slot receiver also fills this role (Hester has the skills to be a perfect slot WR).

I'd like to see something like this:

1. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin (Replaces that bum, Omifail)

2. Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU (Yes, I believe the position sucks that bad and has been neglected that much)

3. Sione Fua, NT, Stanford (Space eater that will help everyone else on defense)

4. John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin (Competes with Garze in one year, beats him out the following year...also plays center)

5. Jake Kirkpatrick, OC, TCU (Learns from Kreutz and takes his job in 1 or 2 years)

6. Mike Mohamed, LB, Cal (Solid depth, prospect)

7. Chas Henry, P, Florida (Maynard is done)

For what it's worth, I think the guy you are talking about is Bennett. And in the Martz offense, the slot receiver also fills this role (Hester has the skills to be a perfect slot WR).

Well, I agree and disagree. Bennett is starting to show the kind of precise route-running that an elite slot receiver like Welker has, and Hester definitely has Welker's quickness and cutting ability. That said, what makes Welker so special is that he has both. Bennett might be right where Cutler expects him to be 100% of the time, but he can't always separate from defensive backs. Hester has very few problems getting separation, but his rapport with Cutler is still not so great: it seems like they have a lot of miscommunications about where Hester's supposed to be. This season, I saw a lot of throws to Bennett get broken up because he was tightly covered, and a lot of throws to Hester fall incomplete. Welker's a go-to guy because he can always separate from coverage, but also always runs a great route and ends up in the right spot.

Don't get me wrong, I think both Bennett and Hester are good options in the slot, but neither of them is a #1 receiver out of the slot, the way Welker is. The Bears need a go-to guy for Cutler, and I don't think that guy is on the roster right now. We've got three guys who would make really good complementary pieces in the passing game: a deep threat in Knox, a slot guy in Bennett, and a guy who can do either in Hester. If they were the #2 through #4 options behind a big possession receiver like Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson, Cutler would have all the weapons he needs.

EDIT:

Also, Jason, I like your mock draft. The Bears really need to replace just about everybody except for Williams and Kreutz - couldn't hurt to draft another o-lineman early. I might like to see a guy like Marcus Cannon in the 2nd: somebody who could potentially play either tackle or guard. That way, they'd have a little more flexibility to give Williams another shot at LT (where he played pretty well in 2009) and then still be able to replace both tackles if it turns out Williams' best spot is really at guard.

That way, they'd have a little more flexibility to give Williams another shot at LT (where he played pretty well in 2009) and then still be able to replace both tackles if it turns out Williams' best spot is really at guard.

I think Williams should stay put. This way he can go into camp knowing that RG is where he'll be. Having him shift around every few games isn't doing anything for him and making him suck ass as a result. Keep him at G and bring in Mankins and draft a stud LT and a replacement for Kruetz. Yes he played pretty well in '09 and sucked there in '10. You know in this "what have you done for me lately" business, that doesn't fly.

I am in agreement that Oline is the first priority. However, I believe its wishful thinking to hope that JA would choose 3-4 olinemen in a draft.

I think he would pick 2 at best, probably 1 early and 1 late. I do think we need that WR that ala Vicent Jackson. I also believe we need to start getting some corners who can cover man to man. First to replace Jennings and then to eventually replace Peanut. If Manning goes I think you will see a safety drafted, and I think there is a good possibility that we see a LB/dlineman drafted.

I like to see some people make a prediction on what they think JA will do in the draft.

I think Williams should stay put. This way he can go into camp knowing that RG is where he'll be. Having him shift around every few games isn't doing anything for him and making him suck ass as a result. Keep him at G and bring in Mankins and draft a stud LT and a replacement for Kruetz. Yes he played pretty well in '09 and sucked there in '10. You know in this "what have you done for me lately" business, that doesn't fly.

Splitting hairs here, but Williams plays LG, not RG. And he barely played LT in 2010 - his only full game there was Week 1 against Detroit. Then he got hurt early in Week 2 and Omiyale stepped in. By the time Williams was healthy again, I think they just had to leave Omiyale in place to try to establish some continuity on the line. Tice said a couple of times that he was going to wait for the offseason to see whether Williams' best position is guard or tackle. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

But yeah, part of me wants to say draft a left tackle and leave Williams at guard. That'd let him keep developing into a pretty good guard, and moving him again might waste some of the progress he's made. On the other hand, leaving him at guard means Chicago needs to find two starting tackles and a guard. Moving Williams back to LT (if he can hack it) means that we'd need two new guards and a right tackle, which would be a lot easier.

I think Williams should at least get a shot at the LT job in the offseason, if only because of the resources it would let them devote to the other line positions. If Williams can play at LT on par with how he played in the last three games of 2009, they could draft a RT in the 1st, find a RG in the middle rounds, and then grab a FA guard like Mankins or Davin Joseph to replace Williams at LG. That way they're only devoting two draft picks to o-line, but they can upgrade four positions. Williams-Mankins-Kreutz-Moffitt-Carimi would look a LOT better than Omiyale-Williams-Kreutz-Garza-Webb.

I like to see some people make a prediction on what they think JA will do in the draft.

If it's anything like his previous drafts, he'll trade back at least once, draft a defensive lineman relatively early, and hit on a pretty good defensive back or a linebacker in the middle/late rounds. Also, there'll be at least one guy drafted solely on athletic ability, which works out sometimes (Hester, Johnny Knox, Danieal Manning kind of) and sometimes not (Gilbert, Mark Bradley.)

Also, as much as I want them to draft Carimi, I have a strong suspicion that Anthony Castonzo is going to be the pick if he's available at the Bears' 1st-rounder. The Bears have a history of drafting BC linemen (like Marc Colombo and Josh Beekman) and Castonzo's skillset reminds me a lot of Chris Williams in college.

On the BC topic, has anybody else noticed that there are certain schools that always seem to show up in the Bears' draft classes? Oklahoma, Vanderbilt, Abilene Christian, the smaller Louisiana schools (Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Tulane, but basically never LSU)...it seems like certain schools have a pipeline to the Bears' regional scouts.

I am in agreement that Oline is the first priority. However, I believe its wishful thinking to hope that JA would choose 3-4 olinemen in a draft.

I think he would pick 2 at best, probably 1 early and 1 late. I do think we need that WR that ala Vicent Jackson. I also believe we need to start getting some corners who can cover man to man. First to replace Jennings and then to eventually replace Peanut. If Manning goes I think you will see a safety drafted, and I think there is a good possibility that we see a LB/dlineman drafted.

I agree. What the Bears should do is wishful thinking.

Interesting challenge. Expect mine to be coming very soon.

Splitting hairs here, but Williams plays LG, not RG. And he barely played LT in 2010 - his only full game there was Week 1 against Detroit. Then he got hurt early in Week 2 and Omiyale stepped in. By the time Williams was healthy again, I think they just had to leave Omiyale in place to try to establish some continuity on the line. Tice said a couple of times that he was going to wait for the offseason to see whether Williams' best position is guard or tackle. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

But yeah, part of me wants to say draft a left tackle and leave Williams at guard. That'd let him keep developing into a pretty good guard, and moving him again might waste some of the progress he's made. On the other hand, leaving him at guard means Chicago needs to find two starting tackles and a guard. Moving Williams back to LT (if he can hack it) means that we'd need two new guards and a right tackle, which would be a lot easier.

I think Williams should at least get a shot at the LT job in the offseason, if only because of the resources it would let them devote to the other line positions. If Williams can play at LT on par with how he played in the last three games of 2009, they could draft a RT in the 1st, find a RG in the middle rounds, and then grab a FA guard like Mankins or Davin Joseph to replace Williams at LG. That way they're only devoting two draft picks to o-line, but they can upgrade four positions. Williams-Mankins-Kreutz-Moffitt-Carimi would look a LOT better than Omiyale-Williams-Kreutz-Garza-Webb.

Hell, Scarecrow-Williams-Kreutz-Garza-"Cardboard Cutout" might look better than Omiyale-Williams-Kreutz-Garza-Webb.

I agree. What the Bears should do is wishful thinking.

Interesting challenge. Expect mine to be coming very soon.

Well, I just think taking into account JA's tendencies would set us up better for a realistic look. Then if he went crazy and actually picked 4 Olinemen, it would be a surprise.

Maybe predicting a JA style draft would set the expectations a little better.