Interesting News

Alaskan Grizzly

Found this reading another thread from another site:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6179140

Me thinks Angelo and crew are up to something....

Gotta admire Peppers being a team player.

I was going to post the same thing. This show how dedicated Pepp is to winning. I hope your right about JA being up to something and not lining the McCaskey pockets.

Don't forget, the Bears wrote Peppers's contract with a team out clause after the first season, probably so that the team could do exactly this. I'll bet both sides benefit somehow, and that the Bears wound up saving cap room by having more of his contract count for last year.

I don't think Julius had anything to do with this. I believe the Bears simply changed the roster bonus (paid up front and cap hit up front) to a signing bonus (paid up front but cap hit is spread out).

Peace :dabears

Yeah, Peppers isn't taking less money, they're just changing how he gets paid so that they have some more cap room to play with. He'd still have to agree to change his contract, and I'm glad he did, but it's no skin off his nose really.

Well first off, I hardly believe that Peppers had "nothing to do with it". He would have had to agree to do this modification either last year or this when it came up.

Secondly, why would the Bears show their hand on the cusp of Free Agency (provided a resolution is forthcoming)? Why not instead just say what you are saying here and that it was instead a possibility with the contract the way it was written? Instead of allowing the Bears to "free up cap space to sign players"?

Still makes me wonder what is up and appreciate Peppers that much more, regardless.

Why would Peppers care about this? He is still being paid the same amount of money at the same time it is simply being treated differently in regards to the cap. I am simply saying this really has nothing to do with him. This is about how the money looks on the books in terms of the cap. In fact, I would say that any player that disagreed to this change is a complete arse because they could be harming the team's ability to be competitive.

Byt virtue that if he didn't he's a jerk, wouldn't that somewhat mean that if he did, then he's a good guy? Let's give Peppers a little love, no?

In fact, I would say that any player that disagreed to this change is a complete arse because they could be harming the team's ability to be competitive.

Byt virtue that if he didn't he's a jerk, wouldn't that somewhat mean that if he did, then he's a good guy? Let's give Peppers a little love, no?

Props to Peppers for caring about winning. ;)

I am simply noting this is really not a big deal.

To me this signifies the Bears continue to be in the "win now!" mode. For a few years there, it seemed like everytime Angelo made a move, he was very concerned about the future. IMO, now the future means, "by 2013 and I'm done."

While there is no CBA, teams seem to be confident that there will be a salary cap and at least some form of restricted free agency.

Last year we made the biggest splash in free agency, yet we weren't even in the top 10 in spending because we'd front loaded so many contracts. I look for us to be major players in free agency again.