Gee, Cutler sure is an @ss!

madlithuanian

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/4422823-419...k-in-kenya.html

Jay Cutler quietly goes about charitable work in Kenya

By Sean Jensen sjensen@suntimes.com Mar 21, 2011 01:50PM

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler has opted to fly under the NFL radar in the days, weeks and months since he left the NFC title game with a knee injury.

But now Cutler’s not even on the continent.

Cutler accompanied his girlfriend, Kristin ­Cavallari, on a trip to Kenya with the non-profit One Kid One World, which focuses on rebuilding schools and ­providing supplies to ­students and teachers in Kenya and El Salvador.

On March 8, ­Cavallari posted on her Twitter ­account that she would be making the trip to Kenya with the non-profit organization and wouldn’t be ­“tweeting” for two weeks. Meanwhile, there was no mention of Cutler’s whereabouts on his website.

This, of course, should come as no surprise.

Cutler hasn’t spoken to the media since Jan. 23, when the Bears lost 21-14 to the Green Bay Packers at Soldier Field. He endured an unprecedented multimedia attack as players, fans and analysts questioned his toughness because he didn’t finish the game. Even after it was reported that he suffered a Grade II tear of the medial collateral ligament, Cutler’s critics didn’t back down. Yet the quarterback didn’t step up to address the clamor.

And just as he did in December, when he quietly visited sick children at the University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital with Cavallari, Cutler again passed an opportunity to publicize his charitable endeavors.

“That’s the side of Jay a lot of people don’t know,” Bears president Ted Phillips said Sunday. “He does have a caring side to him.”

But his image, apparently, isn’t among his points of emphasis.

And therein lies one of the reasons Cutler is unique. Other big-name NFL players, particularly quarterbacks, are diligent about their public perception. Whether of his choosing or not, Cutler doesn’t pitch products. And certainly of his choosing, Cutler also agrees to interviews very close to the NFL mandate.

Two years ago, when the Denver Broncos hired Josh McDaniels, Cutler’s relationship quickly soured amid reports that the new coach was ­interested in acquiring one of his former New ­England Patriots players, Matt ­Cassel.

Cutler told the Sun-Times last September that he confronted McDaniels about the rumors.

“He acted like he had no idea what I was talking about,” Cutler said. “Then it took him two or three days to finally admit that he tried to trade me.”

Then, during a meeting, McDaniels told Cutler that any player could be traded at any time.

“By that point, I was like, ‘You know what? Just trade me now,’ ” Cutler recalled.

So it should come as no surprise that the Bears are showing Cutler love, even if he has been out of pocket. Phillips admitted members of the organization “really haven’t talked to him.”

“Maybe some of the coaches did,” Phillips said. “Now, with the work stoppage, we can’t talk to him. But when the time comes, we’ll sit down with him and see how things are going.

Asked if the Bears would consider trading Cutler, Phillips said, “I mean, no one is untradeable. But we couldn’t be happier with Jay as our QB. He’s our guy. Our organization has never wavered in saying, ‘Jay’s our quarterback, and we’re excited to have him.’ ”

If the Bears plan to keep him, then Phillips is taking the right tack

Not only is he an ass, but he's a quitter, too. How dare the QB of a football team in a huge market like Chicago be a private person who doesn't want to show off his community work.

/endsarcasm

But seriously, who ever thought about trading this guy? What a f***ing mistake that would be. Caleb Hanie played average for 2 quarters of football and everyone in this country is ready to annoint him the future. How f***ing stupid is that?

Funny... I was just about to post this very article. Anyhow, this is just one more reason why I like Cutler. He just wants to play the game...during the season... And do his own thing, on his own time. No bravado, no noteriety. Yet still he is making a positive impact. You keep on doing what you do Jay, good on ya.

I am a little concerned with the closing paragraph. When Phillips was asked aboit Cutler's tradability. And he couldn't give a straight up "Hell NO!".

That's great to hear him doing good things. As for our fans who rip the guy, it's like we're so used to having bad quarterbacks, we're trained to complain about them.

I've always loved Cuter coming to the Bears. That being said, he needs to be more successful. Nobody gives a damn if he's Mother Teresa.

When people criticized Cutler at the end of the season I simply asked them to name another QB who could have gotten our team that deep into the playoffs behind that Oline. There's a few out there but it's a very short list. Ironically I'd put Aaron Rodgers at the top of that list over Manning and Brady because of his mobility.

I think the love of Hanie (as our #2 QB) has as much to do with the hate of Collins and how inept Collins was. At least Hanie looked like he wanted to win while Collins looked like he wanted to wet his pants every time he dropped back to pass.

When people criticized Cutler at the end of the season I simply asked them to name another QB who could have gotten our team that deep into the playoffs behind that Oline. There's a few out there but it's a very short list. Ironically I'd put Aaron Rodgers at the top of that list over Manning and Brady because of his mobility.

I think the love of Hanie (as our #2 QB) has as much to do with the hate of Collins and how inept Collins was. At least Hanie looked like he wanted to win while Collins looked like he wanted to wet his pants every time he dropped back to pass.

The second our OLine solidifies, we're in great shape. We have all seen how he performs when he has time. I have yet in my 36 years seen a QB make a Super Bowl, let alone win one from his back.

Yeah, Rodgers and Roethlisberger are about the only ones I can think of, and like you said, it's because they have enough mobility to make it work even when there's somebody breaking through the line every other play. Very, very few QBs in the NFL could be as effective as Cutler behind a line as bad as ours was last season. Josh Freeman might be on the list if he has another season like he did in 2010. It's hard to tell, because his protection was so much better than Cutler's, but what he did with an extremely young offense was seriously impressive.