Trend Towards Interior Linemen May Characterize Draft

tshanno

http://bearingthenews.com/?p=1367

Trend Towards Interior Linemen May Characterize Draft

by Tom Shannon

I’ve long held that offensive guard is becoming a more important position in the National Football League than in years past. Bear fans need only look at their own division for one of the best example of why this is. The Minnesota Vikings spent what was at the time a fortune for a guard on Steve Hutchinson in 2006. Ever since we have watched Hutchinson serve as the key piece of what was up to last year an excellent to good offensive line.

Dan Pompei writing for the National Football Post, explains why interior offensive linemen and defensive tackles have recently become almost as important as offensive tackles and defensive ends in the NFL game (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-4613.html):

“What’s changed? Offenses.

“Because protecting the quarterback is more difficult than ever, and arguably more important with the way teams are emphasizing the pass, we’re seeing fewer and fewer deep drops. It’s all short drops and quick throws. That minimizes edge rushers. And it also makes the offensive tackles less important.

“Defensive tackles like Nick Fairley could end up being rewarded on draft day.

“However, interior pass rushers have become more important. If a defensive tackle can penetrate, either through power or quickness, he can force a quarterback to adjust even on a well executed short drop that’s intended to yield a quick pass.”

“And the best way to stop a defensive tackle like [Ndamukong] Suh or Sedrick Ellis is with a premier interior blocker like Logan Mankins or Jahri Evans.”

I think Pompei has a great point and I wonder how many draft “experts” have picked up on the trend. I look at Todd McShay‘s mock draft at ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?page=McShayMock5.0) and I see a huge run on linemen in the first round from 8 to 32 and almost all of the players taken are offensive tackles and defensive ends. Certainly those positions are still important but will all of those teams, many of whom need an upgrade inside, take a second rate prospect at those outside positions over a first rate interior lineman? I have my doubts.

Certainly the Bears have always placed a premium on the defensive tackle position in part because of the scheme they run. But most mock drafts continue to predict that they and other teams like them in the second half of the first round will go with a risky offensive tackle “project” with “potential” figuring they can pick up a guard and/or center later. I don’t think this is a good way of approaching the draft anymore.

Admittedly offensive coordinator Mike Martz bucks the offensive trend that Pompei describes in that his ideal scheme includes more deep routes and plenty of seven step drops. Martz absolutely has to have good tackles for that. But I’m not so sure the Bears are going to find an upgrade at left tackle late in round one. On the other hand, as Pompei implies here, Danny Watkins at guard might make the line decidedly better in another important way.

I wouldn’t be surprised if other teams aren’t thinking the same way and you start to wonder if those who “reach” for interior offensive linemen will actually be reaching at all.

In any case just how much the game has changed and in what way will be indicated by the choices teams make in the second half of round one and early in round two. Don’t be surprised if the trend is different from what people expect.

Good stuff, Tom, and I happen to agree.

While Martz may employ the deep drops more than others, if the interior of the line holds up, there would have been countless opportunities last year for Cutler to step into a comfortable pocket to make a throw. At that point all the OTs have to do is protect against the interior spin while they ride the DE out wide.

I know this because the way the Bears run their defense creates a picture perfect example of how a QB can step into a pocket where the DTs haven't gotten through. I mean, how often have we seen the the Bears' DE's go around wide, see the DT's get nearly no pressure, and see a QB step forward calmly for a completion? All too often unfortunately. Hell, it seems that every time the Bears' play a journeyman type QB the guy has a great day and the announcers fall in love with how "well" the guy is playing (while ignoring the Bears' lack of interior pressure).

If a high rated OG or OT is available in RD 1, the Bears need to draft him.

Good stuff, Tom, and I happen to agree.

While Martz may employ the deep drops more than others, if the interior of the line holds up, there would have been countless opportunities last year for Cutler to step into a comfortable pocket to make a throw. At that point all the OTs have to do is protect against the interior spin while they ride the DE out wide.

I know this because the way the Bears run their defense creates a picture perfect example of how a QB can step into a pocket where the DTs haven't gotten through. I mean, how often have we seen the the Bears' DE's go around wide, see the DT's get nearly no pressure, and see a QB step forward calmly for a completion? All too often unfortunately. Hell, it seems that every time the Bears' play a journeyman type QB the guy has a great day and the announcers fall in love with how "well" the guy is playing (while ignoring the Bears' lack of interior pressure).

If a high rated OG or OT is available in RD 1, the Bears need to draft him.

Yeah, I've been saying for a while that I'd rather have a guard than a tackle in Round 1, assuming that both players are equally good. Chris Williams can be an adequate LT - he proved that at the end of 2009 when Pace got benched - but he's not a very good guard. It wasn't just him, the Bears' whole interior line gave Cutler no time at all. How many times did he just backpedal away from the line instead of taking a real drop? He knew he was never going to be able to step up, he just had to bail and try to avoid the rushers busting through the middle of the line.

Also, I think that article really validates the way Lovie runs his defense, but it underscores how badly the Bears need a new Tommie Harris. Warren Sapp always talks about how the under tackle "sets the table" for the DEs in a Tampa-2. The way Peppers was beating tackles every week, he would have had 15 sacks if we'd had any interior pass rush at all. But even with an edge rusher like Peppers, you can just scheme around him if the QB can consistently step into a clean pocket. Back in 2005-2006, Wale and Alex Brown were nowhere near as good as Pep, but Tommie made them look great...if we had a three-technique as good as Tommie was back in those days, our d-line would be a nightmare for QBs.

Yeah, I've been saying for a while that I'd rather have a guard than a tackle in Round 1, assuming that both players are equally good. Chris Williams can be an adequate LT - he proved that at the end of 2009 when Pace got benched - but he's not a very good guard. It wasn't just him, the Bears' whole interior line gave Cutler no time at all. How many times did he just backpedal away from the line instead of taking a real drop? He knew he was never going to be able to step up, he just had to bail and try to avoid the rushers busting through the middle of the line.

Also, I think that article really validates the way Lovie runs his defense, but it underscores how badly the Bears need a new Tommie Harris. Warren Sapp always talks about how the under tackle "sets the table" for the DEs in a Tampa-2. The way Peppers was beating tackles every week, he would have had 15 sacks if we'd had any interior pass rush at all. But even with an edge rusher like Peppers, you can just scheme around him if the QB can consistently step into a clean pocket. Back in 2005-2006, Wale and Alex Brown were nowhere near as good as Pep, but Tommie made them look great...if we had a three-technique as good as Tommie was back in those days, our d-line would be a nightmare for QBs.

Yes...the three-technique DT is absolutely essential for Lovie's version of the cover-2. Either that or get two 2-gap guys built like Ted Washington and Keith Traylor, and move shift one of them closer to a double-team in the B gap. The former collapses the pocket and forces the QB into the DEs going wide, the latter shuts down internal running and allows a LB to get on the QB Autobahn. The problem the Bears have right now is that they're going with the former, and none of their guys can really attack the B gap with enough force to make the DE's path to the QB worthwhile.

Yes...the three-technique DT is absolutely essential for Lovie's version of the cover-2. Either that or get two 2-gap guys built like Ted Washington and Keith Traylor, and move shift one of them closer to a double-team in the B gap. The former collapses the pocket and forces the QB into the DEs going wide, the latter shuts down internal running and allows a LB to get on the QB Autobahn. The problem the Bears have right now is that they're going with the former, and none of their guys can really attack the B gap with enough force to make the DE's path to the QB worthwhile.

You know, I gotta say, I like those two-gap 4-3 defenses like the Bears used to run with Washington/Traylor and Urlacher. Philly two-gaps their interior linemen a lot, and it frees their linebackers/DBs up for all those awesome exotic blitzes. But they've also got Bunkley and Patterson, who can be one-gap penetrators too, so they really just have the personnel to do either.

If the Bears draft Marvin Austin, he might give them that same kind of personnel flexibility. The guy is just freakishly strong for only being 309 pounds, and I think he could hold up well enough as a two-gapper if he only had to do it a few snaps a game. Even if Chicago sticks to having their tackles play one gap, I'd love to see them mix in some exotic blitzes like this one from Dick LeBeau's playbook. If you don't want to check out the diagram, here's how it goes:

- 4-1-6 dime package

- Tackles hit the B-gaps

- DEs fake the rush to draw a blocker, then drop into coverage

- Urlacher and a dime back cross each other and blitz the A gaps.

- Danieal Manning comes through the A gap on a delayed blitz behind the dime back.

It's Cover 3 on the back end, with three guys in underneath coverage, so it's not like it's a totally unsound blitz. There are actually only 5 rushers, it's just that when it works, the center's responsible for 3 of them by himself.

Spot on, guys. I think the need at defensive tackle is obvious. Julius Peppers needs more help and as you pointed out, it has to come inside.

They may well go that direction in the first round and if they do its fine by me.

Tom S.

Spot on, guys. I think the need at defensive tackle is obvious. Julius Peppers needs more help and as you pointed out, it has to come inside.

They may well go that direction in the first round and if they do its fine by me.

Tom S.

Now THIS, I disagree with.

Is DT help needed? Yes. Clearly.

Is DT help needed more than OG or OT? No. Period.

Unless there is a massive, unforseen run on OGs and OTs, the Bears should grab whichever OL guy is there at the end of the first. There should be more than one to choose from.

I agree the need is greater on Oline since we must protect our QB. However, you have to play the hand you are dealt and if there is a big run on Oline early in the first round then we have to be smart and take the better talent that still fits a big need. You know the second tier guys are more likely to be there later because many teams would have addressed their Oline needs early. I still think we'll be able to get either a good Oline or DT prospect with our first pick but that we should lock into one or the other because there is secondary talent that isn't that big of a dropoff at both positions.

Now THIS, I disagree with.

Is DT help needed? Yes. Clearly.

Is DT help needed more than OG or OT? No. Period.

Unless there is a massive, unforseen run on OGs and OTs, the Bears should grab whichever OL guy is there at the end of the first. There should be more than one to choose from.

Agree and disagree.

The part I agree about is addressing the OL is priority one. The part I disagree with is that we need to grab that guy in round 1. I say you get the one you think will be the biggest difference maker. If you don't get OL in round 1, it is important to go that direction in round 2 and 3 or 4. We also need another CB, that guy should come from 3 or 4. OL and DT are almost 1A and 1B to me.

Agree and disagree.

The part I agree about is addressing the OL is priority one. The part I disagree with is that we need to grab that guy in round 1. I say you get the one you think will be the biggest difference maker. If you don't get OL in round 1, it is important to go that direction in round 2 and 3 or 4. We also need another CB, that guy should come from 3 or 4. OL and DT are almost 1A and 1B to me.

Here's a couple of scenerios:

RD1: Mike Pouncey G

RD2: John Moffitt G

RD3: Terrell McClain DT

RD4: Greg Little WR (doubt he falls but drafttek has him there)

RD5: Kevin Kowalski C

RD6: Mistrell Raymond CB

RD1: Marvin Austin DT

RD3: James Carpentor LT

RD4-6: same as above

Here's a couple of scenerios:

RD1: Mike Pouncey G

RD3: Terrell McClain DT

RD4: Greg Little WR (doubt he falls but drafttek has him there)

RD5: Kevin Kowalski C

RD6: Mistrell Raymond CB

If Pouncey's there when we pick in the 1st, I'd love that pick. Likewise with McClain in the late 3rd (which I think is the right spot for him.) You could probably flip-flop Moffitt and Greg Little, though: CBS Sports has Moffitt as the #137 overall player, 7th-rated guard. If the Bears want him, I'm sure they could get him with their 3rd- or even 4th-rounder. If they go OG in the 2nd, they could probably get somebody like Will Rackley from Lehigh.

RD1: Marvin Austin DT

RD3: James Carpentor LT

RD4-6: same as above

Again, you could probably flip-flop Carpenter and Moffitt, since I'm not sure Carpenter would fall all the way to our 3rd - CBS Sports has him at #57 overall, and he's right after Marcus Cannon on their list of OTs. But I REALLY like the picks, though - Carpenter's racked up a ton of starts in a pro-style offense, was productive against the highest level of competition, never missed a start due to injury, very polished, etc. He looks like he should have a short learning curve, which is great, since the Bears need to draft at least one Day 1 starter up front.

One thing I'm curious about: where do you see the Bears playing Carpenter? I've heard a lot of people say that he's probably a right tackle or a guard in the NFL...if that's right, he could kick inside and move Williams back to LT, or Webb could move over to LT and Carpenter could replace him on the right side. What do you think his position is? Personally, I'd be OK with either.

I think my ideal scenario is kind of a hybrid of your two:

RD1. Mike Pouncey, G, Florida

RD2. James Carpenter, G/T, Alabama

RD3. Terrell McClain, DT, USF

RD4. Greg Little, WR, UNC or Niles Paul, WR, Nebraska (I think his character issues and subpar senior year will drop Paul lower than his ability warrants. If Greg Little doesn't fall this far, I'd be OK with Paul...I think he's got a little bit of T.O. to his game.)

RD5. Jake Kirkpatrick, C, TCU

RD6. Justin Rogers, CB, Richmond

...Pouncey and Carpenter would give us two Day 1 starters on the line, moving either Williams or Webb to LT and putting Omiyale and Garza on the bench. McClain could work his way into the DT rotation as a rookie, and Little or Paul could rotate in at WR. So that's two rookie starters, two guys who at least contribute their first year, and two developmental players for down the road.

If Pouncey's there when we pick in the 1st, I'd love that pick. Likewise with McClain in the late 3rd (which I think is the right spot for him.) You could probably flip-flop Moffitt and Greg Little, though: CBS Sports has Moffitt as the #137 overall player, 7th-rated guard. If the Bears want him, I'm sure they could get him with their 3rd- or even 4th-rounder. If they go OG in the 2nd, they could probably get somebody like Will Rackley from Lehigh.

Again, you could probably flip-flop Carpenter and Moffitt, since I'm not sure Carpenter would fall all the way to our 3rd - CBS Sports has him at #57 overall, and he's right after Marcus Cannon on their list of OTs. But I REALLY like the picks, though - Carpenter's racked up a ton of starts in a pro-style offense, was productive against the highest level of competition, never missed a start due to injury, very polished, etc. He looks like he should have a short learning curve, which is great, since the Bears need to draft at least one Day 1 starter up front.

One thing I'm curious about: where do you see the Bears playing Carpenter? I've heard a lot of people say that he's probably a right tackle or a guard in the NFL...if that's right, he could kick inside and move Williams back to LT, or Webb could move over to LT and Carpenter could replace him on the right side. What do you think his position is? Personally, I'd be OK with either.

I think my ideal scenario is kind of a hybrid of your two:

RD1. Mike Pouncey, G, Florida

RD2. James Carpenter, G/T, Alabama

RD3. Terrell McClain, DT, USF

RD4. Greg Little, WR, UNC or Niles Paul, WR, Nebraska (I think his character issues and subpar senior year will drop Paul lower than his ability warrants. If Greg Little doesn't fall this far, I'd be OK with Paul...I think he's got a little bit of T.O. to his game.)

RD5. Jake Kirkpatrick, C, TCU

RD6. Justin Rogers, CB, Richmond

...Pouncey and Carpenter would give us two Day 1 starters on the line, moving either Williams or Webb to LT and putting Omiyale and Garza on the bench. McClain could work his way into the DT rotation as a rookie, and Little or Paul could rotate in at WR. So that's two rookie starters, two guys who at least contribute their first year, and two developmental players for down the road.

I would jizz on the TV if that draft happened.